BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
jhonson3141
Rep
Drives: 1M

not adjustable front camber on 1m?

Hi

i have been pop in to a few local alignment shop and tune shop and they keep telling me that the front camber is not adjustable or they require specific tool from deal to do so. was that ture or they just trying to thick me? i am not using camber plate

i while taking the research, i have notice 2 method to allow more camber, M3 control arm and pin removal. For 1m they have the same control arm as M3 so how does it work? For the pin removal, where is that pin exactly? i have opened the cover strut but only see 3 bolts. was it hidden under the strut bar?

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Removing the "pin" is for more camber. It is an all or nothing arrangement. Or you could get some camber plates that replace the top strut bearings of your OE McPherson struts(shocks).

adjustable camber plates...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631149
Caster; camber & toe
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827465
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

You can get close to -2° of negative camber all the way around if you loosen the struts/shocks pull them to get as much camber and then tighten everything back up with everything. BT, DT.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
You can get close to -2° of negative camber all the way around if you loosen the struts/shocks pull them to get as much camber and then tighten everything back up with everything. BT, DT.
Basically this.

You can gain camber from manufacturing tolerances, and that is about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I was doing it that way to stay within the SCCA autocross rules for A Stock Race (ASR = formerly known as "A Stock"). I do run KW V3s in the stock struts and OEM spring seat perches.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was doing it that way to stay within the SCCA autocross rules for A Stock Race (ASR = formerly known as "A Stock"). I do run KW V3s in the stock struts and OEM spring seat perches.
I'm doing the same to maintain it for B-Street now on my Z4M.

Still need to get shocks. I still can't justify $2k for DAs on stock perches
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Talk to Sam Strano at stranoparts.com or Bob Tunnell at bimmerhaus.com for go fast parts and the knowledge on how to use them.

It was tough to stomach that cost for me too. I ended up harvesting the perches from a take-off set of struts and shocks. There was a national back order at the time for the struts. Not sure if your Z4M has common parts like the 1M shares M3 suspension parts and bits.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Talk to Sam Strano at stranoparts.com or Bob Tunnell at bimmerhaus.com for go fast parts and the knowledge on how to use them.

It was tough to stomach that cost for me too. I ended up harvesting the perches from a take-off set of struts and shocks. There was a national back order at the time for the struts. Not sure if your Z4M has common parts like the 1M shares M3 suspension parts and bits.
Sam is local-ish to me, awesome guy in person and really knows his stuff. I've talked to him a couple times about an upcoming tire purchase and what he would recommend for a camber challenged pig

The Z4M front suspension is an E36 type spindle but 1" shorter, the rears are E36.

Either way, in a couple years I'm going to convert my 128i to a STX car and take it to Nationals. Until then, I'm going to have fun at local ProSolos and Tours within Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I drove the Strelnieks' 135i in D Stock at Nationals at Heartland Park in 2008. It really needed a real diff badly. Why a 128 instead of a 135?

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I drove the Strelnieks' 135i in D Stock at Nationals at Heartland Park in 2008. It really needed a real diff badly. Why a 128 instead of a 135?
135s are classed in STU. It will never win that class.

I currently own a 128i with manual seats, and no sunroof...aka the lightest optioned E82 out on the street.

It does have the N51 motor, the cali emissions motor. So it does have secondary cats, meaning I can go catless headers, replace the secondary cats with a high flow 100 or 300 cell count and be legal still. In addition, it already has a DISA valve that I can tune and get some considerable gains.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

^got it. It makes sense now. For a nanosecond, I've thought about an ST class for the 1M but I like Hoosiers so my options are limited without cubic dollars behind it.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
^got it. It makes sense now. For a nanosecond, I've thought about an ST class for the 1M but I like Hoosiers so my options are limited without cubic dollars behind it.
Will you be sticking with Hoosiers (AS-R) next season or trying BS?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is the 1M even classes yet in a ST? It would be STU I would assume...

Hoosiers I would imagine work really well with that type of power and torque curve.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
Will you be sticking with Hoosiers (AS-R) next season or trying BS?
Yes, ASR. No fake/faux Stock class for me. I like *improving* the performance of a car, not making it go slower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Is the 1M even classes yet in a ST? It would be STU I would assume... Hoosiers I would imagine work really well with that type of power and torque curve.
I think there is an ST* place for a 1M. I haven't cared enough to actually look. I seem to remember Erik Strelneiks saying I should run it in STU.

For 2015 I'm at a loss for now as to what to do. I'm actively looking for a co-drive in SSR.

In an interesting part of irony, Toyo Tires getting whacked with a $20 MM fine for dumping tires for cheap in the US. I wonder if the tires were priced without the cheating would they be close to or at a Hoosier price.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Yes, ASR. No fake/faux Stock class for me. I like *improving* the performance of a car, not making it go slower.
Tell me how you REALLY feel. ;-)

(Thread jacking) As much as I loved the Hoosiers and dislike the rule change, street tires are just much easier for me - I'm not a morning person, so getting up early to swap tires, then swapping back after a hot event... I won't miss that. On street tires, I think the Corvettes will have a little less of an advantage than they do on slicks (although I don't think it amounts to enough). Plus, the Hoosiers cost something like $24 a run based on the usable life I got out of them. :-o
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

No one ever said going faster was cheap. But I do remember doing the first autocross in the 1M and thinking "I can't wait to run this car on Hoosiers."

For what it's worth I have one set that has 45 runs on them. I had a set for Nationals practice that had 52 runs on them (that's about $8 a run). I swapped them for a fresh set for the official competition. I'll always go with a fresh of tires, regardless of make, for Nationals. Should I ever run "Roach" (Road) Tires, I'll have a separate set for competition. Sadly no one makes a good 19" tire, and I really don't wish to buy a set of 18" wheels that will match my two sets of 19" Forgestars.

Last edited by mattm; 12-02-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

This upcoming year I was thinking about going R-Comps...but since of the soon elimination of every Race Tire stock class besides SS, I decided to stick with street tires.

If I was able to haul 4 tires in the car, I would go R-Comps no-brainer...However adding a hitch and tire hauler, etc is too much for 1 year.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

What makes you think you can't? I've gotten six inside the car. Normally I put four in my car: three in the back seat (two behind my seat laying flat, and one vertical in the right side, the fourth goes in the trunk). This includes a floor jack, toolbox, cordless impact gun, assorted crap. I did six in 2012 going to the Toledo Pro. Four in the backseat vertical, one in the trunk, and one in the front passenger seat. Yes, view out the right side was limited and you have to position the tire so it doesn't trigger the seatbelt warning stuff. Two were 265, two were 295, and two were 315. No hitch on my car.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What makes you think you can't? I've gotten six inside the car. Normally I put four in my car: three in the back seat (two behind my seat laying flat, and one vertical in the right side, the fourth goes in the trunk). This includes a floor jack, toolbox, cordless impact gun, assorted crap. I did six in 2012 going to the Toledo Pro. Four in the backseat vertical, one in the trunk, and one in the front passenger seat. Yes, view out the right side was limited and you have to position the tire so it doesn't trigger the seatbelt warning stuff. Two were 265, two were 295, and two were 315. No hitch on my car.
Because hatchback:

Season Ending Ride by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr

I still run the Z4M for autocross, it won't be a couple years until I take my 128i and convert to STX
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Oops, I thought you had a 1M? How'd you get in here? Where's the thread police?!? Yes, that's the downside of the Z4Ms. Get a co-driver that can haul the tires.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

In the bottom of the pic is some of the stuff I bring. Cooler, jack stand, toolbox, jack, a red and blue pylon plus the other aforementioned crap. This was shot 10/19/13 at the Meadowlands.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #22
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oops, I thought you had a 1M? How'd you get in here? Where's the thread police?!? Yes, that's the downside of the Z4Ms. Get a co-driver that can haul the tires.
Nope, no 1M....I wish

Don't tell anymore

I don't know what I'll do in the upcoming years after 2014. I'll probably just find a prep'ed ST car that I can chip in and co-drive until the 128 gets into STX trim
Appreciate 0