BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Kristopher
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Need your opinion on maintenance issues (n55)

Alright so I have 3 possibly more oil leaks on my 2012 135i manual. One of the leaks is my rear main seal, another leak is the OFHG which is common from everything I've read and the third leak appears to be my oil pan gasket. There might be a fourth leak coming from my oil pressure sensor? but I am not 100% positive on that one for it may just be run off oil coming from the OFHG but that wishful thinking at this point. I am not capable at fixing any of that or am interested in taking on a job like removing the transmission in order to get the rear main seal using only floor jacks and what little hand tools I own. I started to call around local shops and through facebook I came across a shop about an hours drive from where I live that is highly recommended. Said shop has quoted me an $1800 price tag to address said leaks. What do you guys think? is this a fair price and should I address these leaks ASAP? or would you ignore them and spend the money on something else like mods/upgrades? what are your thoughts on my predicament? Oh in case you are wondering I live in SoCal .
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

That price seems low if anything. The oil pan gasket alone usually ranges from $800 - $1200. Granted, the OFHG should only run about 1 hour of labor, but the rear main seal ain't a quick fix.

Everything depends on your plans for the car. The OFHG should be done immediately because it's cheap, easy, and can cause catastrophic damage. Oil pan depends on severity. Mine weeps, but I'm in no hurry to fix it. There isn't enough leaking to even collect on the under tray. I'll get around to it in the next year or two. No biggie for me. It's not going to kill anything on the car until I start to see oil pooling.

The rear main seal is a no-brainer if you are replacing the clutch anytime soon. It will take no more than an extra 15 minutes to do the rear seal with the transmission out. If you were ever thinking about a new clutch, you basically get the rear seal for free.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
That price seems low if anything. The oil pan gasket alone usually ranges from $800 - $1200. Granted, the OFHG should only run about 1 hour of labor, but the rear main seal ain't a quick fix.

Everything depends on your plans for the car. The OFHG should be done immediately because it's cheap, easy, and can cause catastrophic damage. Oil pan depends on severity. Mine weeps, but I'm in no hurry to fix it. There isn't enough leaking to even collect on the under tray. I'll get around to it in the next year or two. No biggie for me. It's not going to kill anything on the car until I start to see oil pooling.

The rear main seal is a no-brainer if you are replacing the clutch anytime soon. It will take no more than an extra 15 minutes to do the rear seal with the transmission out. If you were ever thinking about a new clutch, you basically get the rear seal for free.
I plan on keeping the car stock for the most part aside from maybe doing a custom exhaust and mild tune big maybe on the exhaust however. I don't have any aspirations of taking it to the track or making big horse power, I'm happy with the amount of HP this car has stock. That being said I plan on keeping the car for a long time and trying to keep it in great condition as I can only see the value of these cars going up in the future especially a manual m sport such as mine. I agree with replacing the clutch however my current clutch feels rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Thunderguts said everything I would say, but better.
Definitely second that if the OFHG is leaking, it should get fixed quick.
Also second that $1,800 seems low if it includes all parts and labor, but then again, maybe they are hurting for work?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Thunderguts said everything I would say, but better.
Definitely second that if the OFHG is leaking, it should get fixed quick.
Also second that $1,800 seems low if it includes all parts and labor, but then again, maybe they are hurting for work?
I doubt they are hurting for work the shop is a very reputable one and appears to have a ton business, I think the low price is due to some name dropping and referrals I made to be honest. After reading yours and Thunderguts's responses I think I'll just bite the bullet and move forward with getting it done I am definitely a stickler for preventative maintenance as I've had vehicles in the past that have left me on the side of the road and don't care to repeat that situation.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      07-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Not much more to add that the others have already told you. The big thing I want to emphasize is the OFHG. You may be one of the lucky ones where the leak doesn't get worse. I wasn't so lucky. From when I started noticing issues such as drips of oil on my garage floor to having to add in a half a quart of oil was literally about a month. The mechanic that did the work said the entire undertray was covered with oil.

In addition to the obvious which is leaking copious amounts of oil is not good, the area where the oil leaks from the OFHG is also not good for your serpentine belt. You run the danger of causing issues with the belt which can escalate into having the infamous belt being sucked into the front main seal issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
Kheadley
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Msport 2013

Thats cheap, its probably so cheap because they included the fact that everything will be taken apart already so they probably trimmed labour from each service.

Do it and change your belt.
Appreciate 0