09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Nope, I've only used it once on track -- when it was very wet!

When Mike Benvo was making the "corner braking control" switchable on my car, he did a bunch of other stuff including adding the euro MDM map.

Neil
Didn't know about this Euro MDM being more liberal; must be designed by a French engineer

Anyway, good for me and whoever has it!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Nope, I've only used it once on track -- when it was very wet!

When Mike Benvo was making the "corner braking control" switchable on my car, he did a bunch of other stuff including adding the euro MDM map.

Neil
I spent a session with a REALLY good friend, who is also an instructor, and a 10-15 year E30 M3 owner (and perhaps a better driver) at MSR-Cresson. First I let him drive my car for a session, starting with MDM on.. and then turned it off completely within a few laps as he has EXCELLENT car control skills and does a lot of trail braking.. A few sessions later he intentionally came up and gridded behind me.. he in a stock E46 M3 on street tires and me in the 1M on street tires.

The first few laps he gained on me as I watched my mirrors a little too much. he was really hounding me, and I kept getting killed with traction control intervention in one corner, particularly, causing him to catch me even more there.. I realized my driving was a bit sloppy, because he was pressuring me, and I smoothed out my inputs in that corner enough to keep the traction control from coming on. I started slowly pulling away and was about 6-8 car lengths away at the end of the session... We got together in the paddock afterward.. .. he was like man.. I was working.. but I pretty much kept up with you.. I said.. yep... you did... but did i tell you I had the traction control on?

He laughed and called me a few names and said.. ok.. your car is frikkin awesome! LOL.

At any rate... i encourage all drivers to use MDM and traction control as a learning tool.. as well as of course using it when you don't need to drive 10/10s... especially while pads are included in the warranty. I typically use MDM the first session or so (depending on how well i know the track) and then later on I turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Porsche996TT 69Datsun2000

Good read, this thread. Thanks to all who posted.
Appreciate 0