BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2021, 02:10 PM   #23
Driven5
Private
Rep
Drives: E88 128i Sport/6MT

Looking good so far.

I like the additional doubler in there for the roll bar mounting plates. I wouldn't run an Autopower bar with fixed-back seat and harness without, at the very least, doing that. If anything, getting it that much tighter to the roof would be a side benefit too. Small mounting plates loaded orthogonally into a non-reinforced bit of flat thin sheet metal is not exactly integrated into the structure of the car, and won't do much good if they hole-punch their way through the floor...

While this was admittedly an extreme case type of rollover, that would have challenged many (especially bolt-in) roll bars, it's not unheard of either. There was a CRX that did almost the same at a track day I was at once. Thankfully, they too were able to walk away despite the totally collapsed roof.

With that out of the way:
I don't see rear subframe bushings listed. Perhaps something to consider, or a points issue?

Also, I'm guessing that corner weight was without driver (to show total car weight) and/or before corner balancing? What were the final, with driver, results?

Last edited by Driven5; 04-14-2021 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #24
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven5 View Post
Looking good so far.

I like the additional doubler in there for the roll bar mounting plates. I wouldn't run an Autopower bar with fixed-back seat and harness without, at the very least, doing that. If anything, getting it that much tighter to the roof would be a side benefit too. Small mounting plates loaded orthogonally into a non-reinforced bit of flat thin sheet metal is not exactly integrated into the structure of the car, and won't do much good if they hole-punch their way through the floor...

While this was admittedly an extreme case type of rollover, that would have challenged many (especially bolt-in) roll bars, it's not unheard of either. There was a CRX that did almost the same at a track day I was at once. Thankfully, they too were able to walk away despite the totally collapsed roof.

With that out of the way:
I don't see rear subframe bushings listed. Perhaps something to consider, or a points issue?

Also, I'm guessing that corner weight was without driver (to show total car weight) and/or before corner balancing? What were the final, with driver, results?
Yup I saw that and thats what caused me to use the mounting plates. I feel pretty good about it now but am still slightly worried. Will have to try not to flip :P

You are correct with the corner weights. Here is with me in the car. It was done before my aero, roll bar and weight reduction so I need to corner balance it again. Here it is with me in the car.

I for got the mention them but the car does have subframe bushing and diff bushings
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #25
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

First track day was a success! Was at NJMP Lightning yesterday and thankfully nothing fell apart and the car felt great. Sadly we only got 2 sessions thanks to a ton of accidents.... but I set a personal best and got to tweak the aero a bit. My goal with aero was in the 1:14s this season and already hit 1:15.13 on a decently conservative lap with 1:14.85 optimal so I'm stoked for a first outing. If this keeps working it may be hoosier time soon and aim for the 1:13s!

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
spidertri394.50
asbrr540.50
tsk941516.00
      04-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #26
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Car looks great and sounds good too. How do you like the catalyst? I've heard lots of good things about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #27
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Car looks great and sounds good too. How do you like the catalyst? I've heard lots of good things about it.
Sadly I only got 2 sessions of use out of it and my Bluetooth wasnt working so I didnt have the onboard audio. It should be good for next event and I will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #28
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Awesome build. Love seeing some new 128's being built for track use. Excited to see your progress!
Appreciate 1
Phloozy219.00
      04-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #29
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Did you have any wind noise issues driving without the rear seat? That's my one concern not putting a barrier there
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #30
Porter351
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Good looking build. I'm actually in the process of putting an e90 together to compete in tt5. I run in the NE and mid Atlantic so I will probably see you out there this year! I hope to be at T-bolt in june. Had the clutch go out on me last week testing so I need to fix the car first.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #31
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Did you have any wind noise issues driving without the rear seat? That's my one concern not putting a barrier there
Hard to say, it's loud and I wouldn't want it on a daily but I also have a fairly loud exhaust so that doesn't help. Road noise definitely increased when I removed everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #32
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got back on the scales. After the aero, removing the front and rear seats, adding roll bar, and putting in a full containment seat, I'm pretty happy with my weight of 3205 with driver. NASA rule weight goal was 3150 so I think that's decent wiggle room with half tank of gas. Still have a ton of washer fluid as well lol.

Didn't corner balance again but ended up fairly close so not messing with anything. Headed back to njmp Wednesday, hoping to hit the 1:14s and then think about some Hoosiers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tsk941516.00
spidertri394.50
      04-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #33
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter351 View Post
Good looking build. I'm actually in the process of putting an e90 together to compete in tt5. I run in the NE and mid Atlantic so I will probably see you out there this year! I hope to be at T-bolt in june. Had the clutch go out on me last week testing so I need to fix the car first.
Awesome to see another one out there! Hopefully we cross paths soon. My clutch is holding fine but I'm worried it's any day now since I'm pretty sure it's the original.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #34
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloozy View Post
Finally got back on the scales. After the aero, removing the front and rear seats, adding roll bar, and putting in a full containment seat, I'm pretty happy with my weight of 3205 with driver. NASA rule weight goal was 3150 so I think that's decent wiggle room with half tank of gas. Still have a ton of washer fluid as well lol.

Didn't corner balance again but ended up fairly close so not messing with anything. Headed back to njmp Wednesday, hoping to hit the 1:14s and then think about some Hoosiers!
I will be at NJMP Thursday and Friday so I will just miss you. Would love to check that car out in person
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #35
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I will be at NJMP Thursday and Friday so I will just miss you. Would love to check that car out in person
Next time I'll be there is May 19 for TNIA and then that Friday for NASA, come say hi is you are there.

Update: I am giving up on street tires haha. The Nanking's worked great in the colder weather but after the first 90 degree day they started to feel like 200tw tires again. While they put down good times and felt great for a while, the fell on their face after about 6 laps and started being pretty unenjoyable to drive. I picked up an aluminum trailer and ordered up some Maxxis RC-1 which I'm told should hold up to heat and wear pretty well, we will see!

You can kind of see it in the video that I had to work much harder to run a slower time, granted also had less power most likely from the heat.

Also got some great TNIA pictures

Appreciate 4
SKI-R159.00
tsk941516.00
spidertri394.50
      05-04-2021, 01:13 AM   #36
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

If you're giving up on street tires and want good r-compounds that last, are pretty quick and don't overheat over a session look at the NT01's and the Toyo RR. NT01's will be pretty similar to the RC1's, and both are 100tw. RR's are slightly faster version of the NT01 with no real downsides, other than wet performance.

Then Hoosiers if you wanna set PB's, but they wear fast and cost a lot. Good option on a 2nd/3rd set of wheels to use one or two sessions a day over the course of a year.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #37
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Few updates from last event:

Maxxis were great, huge fan right now. They held up to lap after lap and put down some good times. Biggest change I made before the event was lowering my splitter 2" which helped front grip a ton but ended up getting pretty destroyed from rubbing so that will need to get fixed before next event. Also replaced my door cards with some lightweight ones which saved me about 14lbs total. With all those changes I'm now in the 1:14s! Ran 2 1:14.8 and had an optimal of 1:14.2. Sadly I only got Garmin video so here it is.

After the event I decided it was time to go full track day bro and focus on weight savings. Goal weight is 3100 and I last weighed in at 3204. The decision has been made to pull the carpet and interior.

Here is the breakdown of what was pulled. There is probably another 10-15 pounds of stuff in there I can pull but I ran out of time.

Part Removed/Added Weight
OEM Door Cardsx2 -18.6
Light Door Cardsx2 +4
Under Seat Subs -9
Front rear half of carpet -11
Front front half of carpet (with dead pedal) -12
Trunk trim and rear seat carpet -10
Trunk floor cover -6
Center console -11

Last weight 3204
New weight 3130.4

Ordered a carbon fiber hood to shed the last of the weight and then we should be good to go!
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #38
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Love the weight reduction and that you were able to get a good bit off the front of the car. It always seems easy to take weight out of the rear and lose the balance. Are the door cards custom/DIY?

What size RC1 did you go with?

Have you considered hood vents and raising your splitter back up? There's some videos out there showing the pretty nasty hood lift the 1 series can get at higher speeds. Seems like venting the hood would be a good way to reduce the inherent lift on the front end.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #39
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Love the weight reduction and that you were able to get a good bit off the front of the car. It always seems easy to take weight out of the rear and lose the balance. Are the door cards custom/DIY?

Have you considered hood vents and raising your splitter back up? There's some videos out there showing the pretty nasty hood lift the 1 series can get at higher speeds. Seems like venting the hood would be a good way to reduce the inherent lift on the front end.
Quote:

Yeah I have like 50 more pounds I could take from the rear but don't want to haha. The door cards are from here, super well priced even with shipping over seas. https://www.racecardoorcards.co.uk/

Running 255/40/17 in the new compound. They are actually fairly narrow so they fit well.

I definitely have considered venting my hood but have not taken the time to figure out the best locations so didn't want to mess it up. I just bought a carbon fiber hood and not sure if I want to cut it but I may do it. Do you have a link to the video by chance?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:30 AM   #40
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, there's an old thread with a bunch of pictures and video. BMW put hood vents on the 1M safety car and there are race teams like Mitchum Motorsports who put the hood latches all the way to the outside front (which is where the lift is most pronounced) of their hood when they raced in Continental Tire series.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938791

Race louvers actually makes a NASA TT legal version of their hood vents that don't extend up higher than allowed. https://racelouvers.com/bmw-e82-07-1...st-tt3-6-spec/
Appreciate 1
Phloozy219.00
      07-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #41
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Some big updates that have not made it to the thread yet. I ended up swapping suspension to MCS 2WNR. The ohlins were great but were a bit travel limited for my needs. Bimmerworlds recommended I go to 800lb front springs since I was using 1100lb rears and they try to keep a 300lb stagger. I did an event like this and IMO the car had way too much corner entry push.

Anyone have any track advice on springs? The wheel rate math basically says 1100/800 would be way to much front bias but I am interested to hear others experience. I moved to 1100/650 for the next event but also switched to 3HC hoosiers that I snagged last week. Interested to see how my first experience with hoosiers goes on track...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #42
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloozy View Post
Some big updates that have not made it to the thread yet. I ended up swapping suspension to MCS 2WNR. The ohlins were great but were a bit travel limited for my needs. Bimmerworlds recommended I go to 800lb front springs since I was using 1100lb rears and they try to keep a 300lb stagger. I did an event like this and IMO the car had way too much corner entry push.

Anyone have any track advice on springs? The wheel rate math basically says 1100/800 would be way to much front bias but I am interested to hear others experience. I moved to 1100/650 for the next event but also switched to 3HC hoosiers that I snagged last week. Interested to see how my first experience with hoosiers goes on track...
I'd expect a front biased spring rate setup to excel at turn in, the trade-off should be mid corner push. On my E92 I started at 800/1100. Turn in was great and very responsive but I struggled with mid corner understeer. This season I changed to 1250 in the rear and that has helped the understeer mid corner while retaining the good turn in response and entry feel.

If you're struggling with entry understeer on that spring rate setup my first thought is your shock settings are the culprit, not the spring rates. The softer front springs will reduce understeer everywhere though, so let us know how the change is.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #43
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
I'd expect a front biased spring rate setup to excel at turn in, the trade-off should be mid corner push. On my E92 I started at 800/1100. Turn in was great and very responsive but I struggled with mid corner understeer. This season I changed to 1250 in the rear and that has helped the understeer mid corner while retaining the good turn in response and entry feel.

If you're struggling with entry understeer on that spring rate setup my first thought is your shock settings are the culprit, not the spring rates.
ya bimmerworld thought the same. Going to lower compression a bit but I already swapped springs so hopefully i didnt make the wrong move!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #44
Phloozy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got to go out again yesterday with the softer front springs and hoosiers and the car was great! Really good entry rotation that carried through the corner and was easy to manage. I am now in the 29s (1:29.996) on thunderbolt which would have been good for the win day 1 last TT event in TT5 and even TT4 so I am super excited. Now I just need to get it done in actual competition next month at lightning.

Appreciate 4
spidertri394.50
bbnks21206.50
tsk941516.00
amg6975486.50