BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Dealer "Reprogramming" after DMTL Fault $330

Hey everyone-

Just took my 08 135i in for service due to a check engine light. Apparently it was caused by a fault in the system which manages the DTML pump which is related to evaporation within the fuel tank. There's nothing wrong with the pump itself but the fault is a software bug. Therefore I was informed that the car would need to be "reprogrammed" to rectify the issue, costing $330.

I was under the impression that BMW frequently updated the vehicles with new software, often without telling you when performing routine maintenance. Seems odd to me that the cost would be so high for something so simple. Is there a recall or precedent here for such a problem or cost?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

No recall, it is an update. Would have been free of charge under warranty. Out of warranty, you pay for it.

Recalls are ONLY for items that are safety related.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Seems to me if the check engine light comes on due to an issue with programming, BMW should pay. If not, that's BS..

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135droptop View Post
Seems to me if the check engine light comes on due to an issue with programming, BMW should pay. If not, that's BS..
I agree, but he's out of warranty and it's not a recall.
      03-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #5
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

I believe what 135droptop was stating was regardless of warranty or not, it's BS because it is an issue with their software. All updates should be lifetime of vehicle as it encompasses bug fixes for their software...aka their mistakes.
      03-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710
I believe what 135droptop was stating was regardless of warranty or not, it's BS because it is an issue with their software. All updates should be lifetime of vehicle as it encompasses bug fixes for their software...aka their mistakes.
I agree with the above. I don't think I should have been liable for a software bug. BMW should have footed the bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

There is something missing to this story. If BMW updates software they should reflash at no charge. If not I would bitch and ask to talk to the service manager. Maybe a BMW tech could weigh in on this. Warranty should not enter into the equation.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

How is software any different than hardware when it comes to warranty?

Here at Acura, we always charge for software updates if the vehicle is out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
How is software any different than hardware when it comes to warranty?

Here at Acura, we always charge for software updates if the vehicle is out of warranty.
Apple iphone - free updates
Microsoft windows - free updates
Flat panel Tv's - free updates
Blue ray players - free updates

And I could on and on...
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Apple iphone - free updates
Microsoft windows - free updates
Flat panel Tv's - free updates
Blue ray players - free updates

And I could on and on...
Sure, if you do it yourself. Just like updating our Telematics software, which we can do ourselves for free.

Drop any of those things off at Bestbuy and ask them to update for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I push my left mouse button and it installs. lol
yeah I guess that is doing it myself.

And yeah, I always see people carrying Tv's computers.. etc. into the store for a software update. Come on man that's just stupid.

I'm not saying the dealer needs to inform the consumer every time there is an update. All I'm saying is if your car is already in for service they should update your cars computer.... for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
lainmike0710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '10 e82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
I push my left mouse button and it installs. lol
yeah I guess that is doing it myself.

And yeah, I always see people carrying Tv's computers.. etc. into the store for a software update. Come on man that's just stupid.

I'm not saying the dealer needs to inform the consumer every time there is an update. All I'm saying is if your car is already in for service they should update your cars computer.... for free.
AND if not in for service, sure maybe charge a half hour labor which is still probably not cheap BUT it's true and legitimate. I hate when people say things like "Maybe you shouldn't have bought a BMW if you were worried about money." First of all, I would say a lot of us 1 series owners are not made of money, those people buy M cars and 7 series', not 128's and 135's. Second, I think BMW needs a bit of a business ethics adjustment with their labor rates. Ok, rambling and I'm done.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

+1 ... I agree with everything you said.
Appreciate 0