BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
tomtuning
JB4 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Starter failed during walnut blast..HELP

Hello all,

So today I used the Bavauto walnut blasting kit and a remote starter trigger from Amazon to clean my intake runners.

I believe it's possible some media may have entered cyl.2, attempted vaccuming out via spark plug hole, bumped starter and no problems. Continued to 3.

After finishing 3, bumped starter and it worked for a second, valves started lifting etc, and then the starter just made a CLACK noise and stopped working completely.

We rolled the car in 6th, dumped clutch and everything mechanically seems sound, valves move pistons move etc, no mechanical seizure.

Is this probably the starter motor? Is there some kind of switch that disables the starter for a certain amount of time if triggered to often?

I do not have access to the crank bolt. Thinking of having the car towed to Helix and ordering a new starter.

Thanks for your help!
      04-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Checked fuses? Charged the battery?

A remote starter trigger seems like a bad idea with how advanced the electronics are. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is freaking out about the starter firing by itself, but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

charge the battery, possible the starter don't have enough juice...
Metallic Black on Black 2009 135i, new waterpump, OFHGs, and VC gasket...RB turbo PCV valve (ooo), NGK performance plugs...V3Cobb access port stage 2+FMIC, Injen intake, Mishimoto clone FMIC, ARM charge pipe, ARM downpipes, Whiteline subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
tomtuning
JB4 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg6975 View Post
Checked fuses? Charged the battery?

A remote starter trigger seems like a bad idea with how advanced the electronics are. I wouldn't be surprised if the car is freaking out about the starter firing by itself, but I'm not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gasser View Post
charge the battery, possible the starter don't have enough juice...
Thanks for the advice fellas. I ended up towing the vehicle to Helix Motorsports, they diagnosed the issue as a failing starter.

If your starter makes a loud CLACK noise and stops, it's likely your remote starter has caused the part to fail.