BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
martinsmu
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i, White/ red int

Turbo whine

Has anyone here experience this? There is a huge thread about it on E90 and its got me thinking. Go to the link and you will see what I am talking about. Quite scary....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137302
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

This thread has been discussed already...

Last edited by rcracer_tx; 02-02-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
martinsmu
Private
Rep

In the 1addicts section? If so can you link me to it? I looked and found nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

it's pretty common knowledge (I think) that when you get a tune for a car turbo's will be spinning twice as fast. again, downpipes and intakes compiled with a tune make a turbo spin twice as much and twice as fast as they come from factory. The most important thing to know is that you choose to go this route, the life of your turbo's, engine, fuel pump, etc is being cut short. it all depends on the driver too.
      02-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
it's pretty common knowledge (I think) that when you get a tune for a car turbo's will be spinning twice as fast. again, downpipes and intakes compiled with a tune make a turbo spin twice as much and twice as fast as they come from factory. The most important thing to know is that you choose to go this route, the life of your turbo's, engine, fuel pump, etc is being cut short. it all depends on the driver too.
someone needs to develop a single turbo kit that can handle some power
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin View Post
just get a supra, the N54 will NEVER make big power, the block is just not engineered for it
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
martinsmu
Private
Rep

Supra's are to old a car for me, and honestly what am I gonna do with 800whp. I am looking for a dependable 350whp range, its fast, and not out of control...

And honestly, a 135 is sssoooo much nicer than a supra.

Keep the comments coming.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Supra's are dyno queens. You pay big money for big power and run 12's in the 1/4. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
Supra's are dyno queens. You pay big money for big power and run 12's in the 1/4. No thanks.
well thats an ignorant comment.

M3_Dust - i will own an MKIV Supra one day but right now i can only afford one car so it needs to be dependable. hence why i'm getting the 135i. i'm not looking for HUGE power. i feel like a 135i with 375-400whp would be a PERFECT street car for me. plus, i don't think the problem with the N54 (atleast for now) is the block, its the turbos. larger turbo's would be able to flow more and not break. then we could see what the limits of the block are.
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

That incident was caused by "3rd party software" or some combination of BMW design and "3rd party software." My engine has this little whine from 2-3krpm and it kind of worries me. Last time I took it in the tech noted "bird-chirping" noise but could not determine the cause. This is a shot in the dark, I believe its the turbo turbine... There is no power loss but I am afraid it will have a catastrophic failure in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

lol i like these posts...my buddy has a 94 supra targa twin turbo...hes BPU++ and just bought a newly developed turbo(single) i forgot who makes it but its big..also forget the trim and compressor and exhaust housings sizes...hes dumped tons of money into and it still will never look as nice as my BMW...nor did it look as good as my audi TT....as stated above its an old car...with an over engineered engine its a great car and pretty easy to work on...since its been around forever there are tons of tech articles and DIYs on supraforums.com give this N54 motor time and we will see what all we can do with it....im pleased we have such a broad range of tuners making tunes,products,etc etc already....BMW really impressed me with this car...the best warranty,reputation, R&D testing, and all the standards features is what sold me,,,it is THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE....has anyone else got all the BMW goodies like DVDs books and mag..CDs??? every month they send me something its great...plus the year one of the one collectors and owners BOOK was cool to receive

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
martinsmu
Private
Rep

In Canada we didnt receice the year one of the one book:-(
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

the real question is, why the hell do we keep bringing up these damn Supra cars? last time I checked this was a BMW forum and not some rice burning, Toyota forum.

jeez.....

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #14
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post
the real question is, why the hell do we keep bringing up these damn Supra cars? last time I checked this was a BMW forum and not some rice burning, Toyota forum.

jeez.....
You people make me sick. This is why people hate BMW owners...you all think your car is God's gift from the heavens. Grow up and have some respect for other well engineered automobiles out there. Next time you pull up next to a 15 year old "rice burning" Supra and it pulls on you, I'll be waiting to say I told you so.

End rant.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #15
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

To add something to the thread, there are plenty of people who have and are going to have turbo issues and failures. Running our turbos over efficiency is going to end badly sooner or later, I think most of us just put that in the back of our minds and hope it won't happen to us. Play it smart, don't abuse your car....do some research and maybe run on a lower boost map daily.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

You can run any boost map daily just dont beat on the car if you drive it normaly you will never see the increase in boost. Now if you get on the car everytime you drive it I would worry about turbo failure farther down in your future. Even with continual abuse it will take a long time for failures to occur on the majority. The failures you are hearing about now are common with defects from mass production there will always be a couple that will have problems out of the 10's of thousands that are made.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
Canexican
Closet N54 Fan
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post

jeez.....
Because the 2JZ (rice-burning Supra motor) is arguably the best built inline-6 turbo motor...ever. As of right now the N54 is a better daily driver due to its direct injection and dual variable valve timing, but its limits are quite obvious: fuel flow, turbos, and block. Most Supras would eat a 135i for breakfast and it isn't that difficult to make them handle. There is a reason why they have been out of production for more than a decade, yet are still more expensive than a brand new 135i. Please, for your sake, it would be best for you to do your research on a vehicle before assuming that your particular vehicle is superior .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
You people make me sick. This is why people hate BMW owners...you all think your car is God's gift from the heavens. Grow up and have some respect for other well engineered automobiles out there. Next time you pull up next to a 15 year old "rice burning" Supra and it pulls on you, I'll be waiting to say I told you so.

End rant.
Yes, it is examples like that which make many a rice-burner (such as myself) truly gag at the thought of owning that label. I'm a fan of BMW chassis/drivetrain engineering and overall quality, but there are alot of BMW owners that only care about the symbol on the hood of their car. Luckily, on this forum, I haven't seen a whole lot of BMW fan-boyism - this seems to be a minor case. I'd like to own a 135i in a year or two and don't want to have to cringe at the thought of going to a car meet and spend time socializing with extreme materialists - not enthusiasts.

As far as the current topic is concerned, I can't imagine that the turbo's would be so weak that they are producing the death-wine after being turned up only a few more PSI. I would think that maybe they are getting overheated due to lack of oil or proper cooling, but to crap out by pushing only a few more lbs of boost means that it is a pretty weak turbo(s).
Stock Turbo. Stock Cams. E85 Powered. Tuned by JSDyno.com
Sweet vids of my car kicking ass...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
Axiom
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canexican View Post
Supras would eat a 135i for breakfast and it isn't that difficult to make them handle.
Who do you think would win stock for stock? Of course I expect to get dusted by any supra I see on the road but thats because I have seen like, 3 and they are all modded up. Most are garage queens or dyno queens. I think the N54 is doing pretty damn good to be running 11's with what on cars like the supra and RX-7 would be considered 'light mods'. Hell who cares the 2JZ can handle so much power with a stock bottom end and run 11's when the bimmer with similar weight and an open diff can do it on half the power (ya I know this is a slight exaggeration but everyone knows the jokes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canexican View Post
Yes, it is examples like that which make many a rice-burner (such as myself) truly gag at the thought of owning that label.
Its just smack talk---- You own a japanese car and its a noisy rice burner. You own a german car and its overengineered.

As for whiney turbos, I think its just mass panic over very few cases. I thought the guy on e90 post who blew his turbos was running very high boost anyway? If people are scared, then they should just run lower boost. Its hard to tell when a turbo will go out. Sometimes they last 30k, sometimes they last forever. They definately wont last as long though if you increase boost a whole lot! Look at all of these 400+ hp Supras, RX-7's etc. how long do you think their turbos last? Not 50k miles thats for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin View Post
I assume you are not familiar with the kit American Motor Sports is working on??? if not, educate yourself and you will be happy with what you find
      02-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
I assume you are not familiar with the kit American Motor Sports is working on??? if not, educate yourself and you will be happy with what you find
i searched and couldn't find anything. link?
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ams
      02-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post

End rant.
okay, so I have one better for you. What happens when I pull up next to your 15 year old Supra in my old, 1987 Buick Grand National that ran high 10's in the 1/4 and then it pulls away from you? will I be able to tell you I told you so?

see where this is going? there's always a bigger fish in the sea. my point is, no one cares about talking about a Toyota car in a BMW forum.

Appreciate 0