BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2022, 10:02 PM   #1
Georj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible Manual

Cannot Reset Brake Light after replacing brake

I just replaced the front brake pads and rotors. Bought all the parts from FCPEuro. Bought the Zimmerman Rotor / TRW ceramic pads package with a new sensor. They sent the wrong sensor and it did not fit in the pads. So I used the old sensor since there was still 3000 miles showing and the brake light was not on. Everything was fine and the car was driving fine with no lights. I drove about 30 miles and checked the status. Front brake was still showing 3000 miles. I decided to reset the front brake status by following the resetting procedure published on this forum and on Youtube. It didn't work. Now status shows ------ and the brake light is on in Red. Also the car on the lift come up in Red. The strange thing is I did not touch the rear brakes. Even the rear brakes status is now showing -------.

Unfortunately, this is a long weekend and no parts shop or the dealer will be open until Tuesday. I will get a new sensor and try that.

However, My question is I did not touch the rear brakes and it had over 34,000 miles showing. How did that get messed up?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

My guess would be the sensors. They are finicky little bastards.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Georj
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did not touch the rear brakes. Why the rear brakes status is also blank? This all happened after I tried to reset the status. After replacing the pads and the rotor I drove for over 20 miles and everything was fine
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
Georj
Enlisted Member
Rep

Took the car to an Indy, who replaced the front brake pad sensor and reprogrammed the status. Everything went back to normal and the brake light is gone. Still cannot explain why the rear brake status also went blank when it was not even touched.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
Georj
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did ask him, he did not know. He said he changed the front sensor and reset the lights with his computer and everything went back to normal. I must have messed something up when I was trying to manually reset the light
Appreciate 0