BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #23
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Your ally is the Force. A powerful ally it is.

Yoda
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

^ I love star wars, just beat 'the force unleashed' really liked it. I beat it on easy though because as an Apache pilot, I don't like fair fights.
      09-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #25
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

If you choose the quick and easy path, you will become an agent of evil.
You must learn control.

Yoda
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #26
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

If posting as Yoda you are, talk like him you must.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #27
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If posting as Yoda you are, talk like him you must.
:biggrin:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

If you choose the quick and easy path, become an agent of evil, you will. Hmmmmmm.

Learn control, you must. Hmmmmmm.

Welcome, you are.

Yoda
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #29
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

So I talked with a rep from BMW NA this morning. They are now full aware of my situation and are on my side to get everything taken care of to my satisfaction. The rep was very nice and helpful.

Just from this one phone call my damaged view of owning a BMW has been repaired. I am still upset that the dealership did not seem to follow correct protocol with my issues but this is not the first time this particular dealership has dissappointed me. Some of you might recall that I originally had my order in with this dealership but then canceled it 6 weeks later when I found out they had lied to me about having an allocation locked in for me as a May build. It is too bad that this is the only dealership within 130 miles of me Kuni BMW in Beaverton Oregon was great with my purchase:w00t:

If the issue has been resolved by this coil replacement I will go on enjoying this great car but if it comes back we will go down a different path.

Thanks again to all of you for your help and especially to BMW NA for intervening here on 1Addicts.

Big:thumbup: to BMW NA

Brandon:headbang:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

the saddest part of your story is the loaner they give you. an X3??

i know what you mean -- although i am grateful for any loaner -- they gave me a X5 last time -- SUCKS. you push the gas and NOTHING Happens. I don't know why anyone would buy a truck....i just don't get it.

sorry abour your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #31
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
the saddest part of your story is the loaner they give you. an X3??

i know what you mean -- although i am grateful for any loaner -- they gave me a X5 last time -- SUCKS. you push the gas and NOTHING Happens. I don't know why anyone would buy a truck....i just don't get it.

sorry abour your car.
Yeah, X3

Anyways, the worst part is actually that the car is not fixed yet. I have not got the Engine Malfunction light back yet but I have had rough acceleration again. Everytime I got the engine malfunction light right before it came on it would shake and sputter under light acceleration. Then about a minute later the light would come on. I still do not feel that the car is fixed so I am just waiting for the light to come back on. I don't think that I can do anything with the dealership until I get a light. If I take it in and tell them that I am having rough acceleration with no lights on the dash I don't think they will do anything.

At this point I think that I want to go into arbitration. Even if the car can be fixed at this point I feel that I have lost money in depreciation. And I feel nervous about keeping a car like this out of warranty. What if the issues come back when the warranty is out or worse, these issues have caused other problems in the engine:iono:

I am not sure what to do:iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #32
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Take it back, if it isn't running right there is something wrong, with or without service lights.
      10-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #33
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
just because the service light doesnt come on, doesnt mean you arent having problems. it just means the car isnt recognizing what the problem is. i would take it back until it ran like a top...with or without lights
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #34
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

things like this are completely unacceptable and BMW should own up to it 100%. either they fix your car to where it's 100% or they give you another car.

I mean come on..... five times and it still isn't right? that's BS in any language.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #35
st0l3n
Registered
Rep
Drives:

hmm...i know that avatar :smile: that sux brandon, it's such a new car! i hope everything gets resolved...see ya at detail day

Hue <----was bored @ work (browsing car forums) that's how bored i am :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #36
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0l3n View Post
hmm...i know that avatar :smile: that sux brandon, it's such a new car! i hope everything gets resolved...see ya at detail day

Hue <----was bored @ work (browsing car forums) that's how bored i am :biggrin:
Whats up Bro?

Damn, you tracked me down:biggrin:

So update time...

I was on my way to work this morning and I got the same damn light and the car went into limp mode again. I had about a 1/4 tank of gas left this time. It has been about 3 weeks or so since I last got the light but like I said above, the car has not been running great since the last time it was in the shop.

At this point I am fed up with the car and hope that BMW will do the right thing and get me out of this lemon. Even if they can fix the issue at this point I am still worried about depreciation, longevity of the reliability, and what damage all of these misfires have caused. Not to mention that everytime I drive the car now I am afraid to give it any throttle in fear that the car will go into limp mode againI bought a 135i to drive it, not to baby it all the time.

So far I have been pretty lucky in that the times the car has gone into limp mode I have not been in a situation where I needed the acceleration. This could be a very big safety issue if I was in the middle of passing and the car suddenly went into limp mode:eyebulge:I am afraid to let my wife drive the car now too because of this.

Now I don't want it to sound like I am bad mouthing BMW in any way here. I understand that lemons happen with every brand there is. I just hope that BMW being a luxury, service oriented company will do the right thing here:roundel:

Addicts- Am I out of line here thinking that I am entitled to 100% reimbursement for the $$ I paid for the 1er and they take it off my hands?

Thanks for everyones support here:w00t:

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #37
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

agreed upon the reimbursement, or build you another one to match the car to exactly what you have now and give you a loaner for free in the meantime, even if that may be 6 months.
      10-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #38
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er junkie View Post
agreed upon the reimbursement, or build you another one to match the car to exactly what you have now and give you a loaner for free in the meantime, even if that may be 6 months.
Well I am glad that at least one person agrees with me.

I would be happy with a replacement 1er that was equal to what I have. There are just two issues I have with that.

One, the replacement would not be a "Year One of the One" which was a very handsome feature of the 2008 model and part of the reason I purchased the 1er.

Two, my confidence in the BMW brand is a little shaken now. This was my first BMW and has not been a very great experience for me as you can see. I know that every brand has its share of lemons but there is not much I can do to take the feelings away that I now have for BMW. Along with these feelings is the fact that the dealership that I have been using for service has been, well, a "3" on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being very satisfied and 1 being very dissatisfied:iono:. It is also the only dealership in my area so if I decide on another BMW I would have to have all the service done there again

I will keep you all updated.

Thanks,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #39
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Dealerships are a huge part of the the satisfaction equation. The dealership where I bought my 318i turned out to have an absolute weasel running their service department so I stopped going there almost immediately. Luckily I have no less than 3 other BMW dealers within 25 miles of me. In your case, you're right that every car maker has the occasional problem car, but if you don't like the way the dealership handles it, you'll swear off the brand forever. I hope they figure out your problem and make it all good.
      10-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #40
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo135i View Post
things like this are completely unacceptable and BMW should own up to it 100%. either they fix your car to where it's 100% or they give you another car.

I mean come on..... five times and it still isn't right? that's BS in any language.
Yea, five times for the same issue? It sounds like they're using the owner as part of the troubleshooting process. I would rather go back to owning an older car that I can work on myself.

I know for a fact a bad coil would show up on logging software with my former eight year old audi s4. If a certain cylinder has massive misfires.. it can only be a few things.
      10-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #41
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
Yea, five times for the same issue? It sounds like they're using the owner as part of the troubleshooting process. I would rather go back to owning an older car that I can work on myself.

I know for a fact a bad coil would show up on logging software with my former eight year old audi s4. If a certain cylinder has massive misfires.. it can only be a few things.
I am not the most mechanically inclined person but I thought that it was wierd when they said the car was misfiring and they had to replace a coil. Why did it take that long to figure that out:iono:

My other question is, with all of this misfiring happening what damage could be caused? I know that a misfire can cause a plug to go foul but can it cause any other damage?

More extensive damage caused by all of the misfires is my main concern now. Even if BMW can fix the misfiring issue, can they be sure that no other long term damage has been done to the car? What happens in 4 years when the car is out of warranty and these issues poke out:iono:

I honestly do not think that the dealership was using me as a test dummy. I really do think that they did not have the knowledge to properly diagnose my car. I do feel that this issue could and should have been fixed the first or second time I took it in.

What do I know though:wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #42
Hairy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Black

First, I am not a mechanic.

But I am an old guy who has messed with cars for the past 40 years. (this by way of qualifications)

A misfire should not weaken other components of the engine. A misfire means the plug did not ignite properly and the fuel charge did not burn. When this happens, the fuel charge is pushed out through the exhaust valve during the appropriate cycle. The other cylinders would have been working properly. No additional stresses would have occurred due to the lack of firing in this cylinder.

HOWEVER
You would have been pushing raw gas into your exhaust system. This can potentially harmful to your cat. converter. You might want to have them give you an extension of the warranty on your exhaust.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #43
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
First, I am not a mechanic.

But I am an old guy who has messed with cars for the past 40 years. (this by way of qualifications)

A misfire should not weaken other components of the engine. A misfire means the plug did not ignite properly and the fuel charge did not burn. When this happens, the fuel charge is pushed out through the exhaust valve during the appropriate cycle. The other cylinders would have been working properly. No additional stresses would have occurred due to the lack of firing in this cylinder.

HOWEVER
You would have been pushing raw gas into your exhaust system. This can potentially harmful to your cat. converter. You might want to have them give you an extension of the warranty on your exhaust.

Good luck
Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense:thumbup:

My other concern which might not be worth much is why is the car having so many misfires in the first place? They replaced coils but do coils just go bad? Or can other things cause coils to go bad? Or can other factors besides a bad coil be the cause of these misfires?

I just have a hard time understanding why my car would misfire so many times yet others have not had the same issues. Could a bad high pressure fuel pump cause the misfire if not enough fuel was pumped into the cylinder to create combustion?

Maybe I am another with a bad fuel pump:iono:

Again, I am not that mechanically inclined so if I am way off base you will understand.

Thanks again for the support 1ers:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #44
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

UPDATE:

I had talked to BMW NA on 10-20-08 last and requested that the car be repurchased. My advocate said that she needed to take my request to the marketing department to see what they say.

I had not heard anything so on Tuesday I called my advocate to see what the deal was. She told me that she was still waiting. I asked that she look into it.

I was called back and told that they wanted to send out a Regional Tech to "inspect" my car. I am not sure what this means but I am fine with that. I understand that they probably want to look over the car to make sure it has not been abused and actually has issues with it before they shell out any $$. She then told me that the Regional tech was scheduled to be in my area on 11-20-08 and would look at my car then. NOVEMBER 20th:eyebulge: That is nearly a full month away. Am I supposed to drive my car in the condition it is in that long even after I expressed that I do not feel safe driving a car that randomly goes into limp mode at least every few days now?:iono:

I told her that this was not acceptable to me. She said she would talk to the marketing department again and then get back to me. I have still not heard back from BMW NA. My advocate is off today according to her voicemail.

I am soooo frustrated. I have only been able to enjoy my 1er for about 1000 miles of the 6000 miles I have on it now. All the other miles minus the 1200 mile break in have been either driven by the dealership troubleshooting the issues or been spent wondering when the next limp mode attack is going to happen

Am I out of line thinking that waiting until November 20th for a tech to come out is unacceptable???:iono:
Appreciate 0