BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
jdmorris
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3

Manual climate control?

So all the images of the 1M with NAV showed the standard electronic driver/passenger climate control that I assumed the car would have, but the new configurator with the 360* interior image without NAV shows a manual control. Are we going to be stuck with manual controls if we don't order NAV? See the first attached image pulled from the configurator and the second image from the BMW promo photos.

JD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
GeniuneSorny
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M on order

Automatic climate control is listed as standard on US version (so far). Euro versions might be different

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473797
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Automatic climate control is an option on the German price list and its independent from the navigation.
      01-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
snowfro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 318i

I think i prefer the manual knobs! Hopefully we can still request that in the states.
2004 x3 manual
2011 1m
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Pretty sure that the manual HVAC is standard for Euro versions while the US version will be "upgraded" and receive the auto HVAC. That seems to be the way it's been working so far with the regular 1ers. I think it has something to do with positioning BMW as more of a luxury marque in the US, in the same way that they don't offer us cloth seats and small engines.

Personally I would have preferred the manual HVAC controls - I find the auto system overly complicated.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

In the UK, Climate Control is standard, Navi is optional - at least that's what it says on my order form
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
That seems to be the way it's been working so far with the regular 1ers. I think it has something to do with positioning BMW as more of a luxury marque in the US...
In my eyes it has more to do with ripping off the German customers. It's mostly in Germany, where you have to pay for upgrades that are standard elsewhere. It's the same in Switzerland: No one sells you manual climate controls here, it's standard equipment.
      01-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
In my eyes it has more to do with ripping off the German customers. It's mostly in Germany, where you have to pay for upgrades that are standard elsewhere. It's the same in Switzerland: No one sells you manual climate controls here, it's standard equipment.
France, Holland, and I think more or less whole Europe. This is also done to keep the cars affordable in a way, and let people decide (and pay) for what they want. (not sure if this is valid for the 1M, talking just in general)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Personally I would have preferred the manual HVAC controls - I find the auto system overly complicated.
seriously How difficult is it to set-up a temperature, a max fan speed and press Auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
seriously How difficult is it to set-up a temperature, a max fan speed and press Auto?
It's not difficult at all - I just find that it doesn't work very well. In no case does the temperature you select on the HVAC unit seem to bear any relation to the actual cabin temperature.

Anyway, the reason I would prefer the manual unit is the same reason I prefer a 6MT over an auto tranny - I would rather be in total control of the vehicle's operation rather than have some computer figure out what it thinks I want.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
It's not difficult at all - I just find that it doesn't work very well. In no case does the temperature you select on the HVAC unit seem to bear any relation to the actual cabin temperature.

Anyway, the reason I would prefer the manual unit is the same reason I prefer a 6MT over an auto tranny - I would rather be in total control of the vehicle's operation rather than have some computer figure out what it thinks I want.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:

Maybe you want non electrical windows, no DTC etc?
I think it works great and gives ability to control both passenger/driver side temp.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Maybe you want non electrical windows, no DTC etc?
I think it works great and gives ability to control both passenger/driver side temp. Talking shit....

find the comparison of a climate control with a manual also very "interesting"
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In a car as small as the 1er, the concept of "dual" climate control is more gimmick than anything else. I think the auto system is over-engineered - that shouldn't be too difficult to understand. If it works for you, fine - I'm not trying to convert anyone, just stating my own preference. Not exactly sure why you guys are getting bent out of shape about it.

EDIT - And given the propensity for BMW window regulators to fail, I actually may have gone with manual windows if they were offered (especially if they were cheaper).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
Mirage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, Z4MC, X3

I actually really liked the manual climate control in my '02 M Coupe. I totally agree with enjoying the ability to have complete control over what the car is doing. The automatic system in my '96 328 never seems to do what I want so I end up overriding it anyway. The simplicity of 4 fan speeds and a temperature dial is great. Now manual windows... that's going a little too far!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

^^+1. I feel the same way Bob. I hate how the auto HVAC system always blows cold air thru the center vents when I want warm air. I always have my system on manual anyway. I would much prefer a totally manual system.

And yes... I also have a 6MT.

Dackel
Appreciate 0