BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Radio change for BT

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing well under the circumstances. I have a 2011 128i (09/10 production) with combox and usb/aux both factory installed. I have a BMW professional radio (has sirius XM sticker on it) and I've installed the BT module and managed to get BT phone showing on the radio (still need to install a mic and do the wiring for it).

I've been playing around with NCSexpert to try to get BT streaming for music going without much luck. I then found out that apparently I can't BT stream and I'm not exactly sure why.

From what I see on my radio, the radio itself doesn't appear to have BT since I don't see any BT logo or details.

I have some questions that I would appreciate some help with:

1) Will replacing my radio with a radio that has BT help solve this problem? I found this as an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-3-Ser...-/274072412450

2) What do I need to be mindful off in replacing my radio?

3) What will it take to get the new radio working on my car?

Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by unk045; 04-07-2020 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post
Hey guys, hope everyone's doing well under the circumstances. I have a 2011 128i (09/10 production) with combox and usb/aux both factory installed. I have a BMW professional radio (has sirius XM sticker on it) and I've installed the BT module and managed to get BT phone showing on the radio (still need to install a mic and do the wiring for it).

I've been playing around with NCSexpert to try to get BT streaming for music going without much luck. I then found out that apparently I can't BT stream and I'm not exactly sure why.

From what I see on my radio, the radio itself doesn't appear to have BT since I don't see any BT logo or details.

I have some questions that I would appreciate some help with:

1) Will replacing my radio with a radio that has BT help solve this problem? I found this as an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-3-Ser...-/274072412450

2) What do I need to be mindful off in replacing my radio?

3) What will it take to get the new radio working on my car?

Thank you
Since you have combox that is what is needed for Bluetooth streaming. I don't think it's the radio that would be needed. What does your vin says as far as options? That usually helps with determining what is needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Confused View Post
Since you have combox that is what is needed for Bluetooth streaming. I don't think it's the radio that would be needed. What does your vin says as far as options? That usually helps with determining what is needed.
Thanks for the reply. I've attached a pic of my VOs for multimedia.

I'm not going to say 100% guarantee that I did my NCSexpert coding right, but I'm fairly certain. Short of something off with the coding, I'm pretty certain at this point the issue is with my radio itself not actually having BT to enable BT streaming.

Isn't your media device connecting with your radio after all? Hence, I would assume BT needs to built into the radio.

But then again I can't explain why a separate BT antenna that connects to your combox is needed for BT phone. I'm assuming they serve separate BT functions/purposes which would make sense since your 'combox' is working as your 'communication box'...the same box that allows SOS, data, etc.

I'd appreciate further insight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
Captain Confused
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 1985 327i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've attached a pic of my VOs for multimedia.

I'm not going to say 100% guarantee that I did my NCSexpert coding right, but I'm fairly certain. Short of something off with the coding, I'm pretty certain at this point the issue is with my radio itself not actually having BT to enable BT streaming.

Isn't your media device connecting with your radio after all? Hence, I would assume BT needs to built into the radio.

But then again I can't explain why a separate BT antenna that connects to your combox is needed for BT phone. I'm assuming they serve separate BT functions/purposes which would make sense since your 'combox' is working as your 'communication box'...the same box that allows SOS, data, etc.

I'd appreciate further insight.

So im looking back at my note from when I did my retrofit. I did BT Phone and then i did the streaming. I installed a CIC from a professional radio, and I had to edit the trace file from the CIC to tell the combox that BT streaming and BT Phone were on. Once you edit the TRC file you write it back to the radio which should turn on the features.

The Radio you have is the early style without BT phone, but thats fine since the combox will control that as well. Once you install the mic and do the wiring behind the glovebox itll work.

I was also trying to do some more searching for you. But i thought BT streaming was only for CIC units. But i could be wrong. That might be the later style radio like you first posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Confused View Post
So im looking back at my note from when I did my retrofit. I did BT Phone and then i did the streaming. I installed a CIC from a professional radio, and I had to edit the trace file from the CIC to tell the combox that BT streaming and BT Phone were on. Once you edit the TRC file you write it back to the radio which should turn on the features.

The Radio you have is the early style without BT phone, but thats fine since the combox will control that as well. Once you install the mic and do the wiring behind the glovebox itll work.

I was also trying to do some more searching for you. But i thought BT streaming was only for CIC units. But i could be wrong. That might be the later style radio like you first posted.
Thanks for continuing to respond. I'm not sure I'm following along...my car doesn't have idrive so the CIC radio is not an option for me. I don't have nav and this is the kind of radio I currently have that was factory installed on the car https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-3-Ser...-/274072412450

Except that there are no BT markings on the radio sticker. My radio sticker is shown above.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #6
unk045
Private
Rep

Bump...any insight here would be appreciated. Been working on this for some time now and I know I'm close.

The only question is should I go for a radio swap similar to this which already has BT to enable BT audio streaming https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-3-Ser...-/274072412450
Appreciate 0