BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #67
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkkyyMan View Post
The auto transmission is as refined as something you would find in a Impala or Malibu, nothing to write home about.
Cadillac (ATS), actually. Here's some snippets from online reviews of the Caddy.

"This space is normally reserved for dissing the automatic gearbox and begging you to buy the manual. So what of the old-school, torque converter unit in the V6? Not bad, actually. Better than not bad. Almost good."

"it rarely lacks for mid-range or passing power, with GM's quick-shifting six-speed automatic"

"The 6-speed automatic with manual shift mode was smooth and crisp"

I get that some people hate automatics, and wouldn't have one, especially with a torque converter. Perfectly reasonable point of view. Before the 128 I'd never bought an auto myself.

But, if you don't fall into that group, as torque converter autos go, this one isn't bad. Unless the adaptive shifting has gone into soft mode.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 07-20-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #68
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Well it IS a GM tranny afterall.

I'm surprised it hasn't been recalled like everything else from GM lately.
I'm getting tired of reading gay comments such as this one. Unless you own or have driven the auto box for a few days you shouldn't voice your opinion based on an opinion. The autos have been out for some time now and there are many positive reviews by enthusiast drivers that own one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #69
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Cadillac (ATS), actually. Here's some snippets from online reviews of the Caddy.

"This space is normally reserved for dissing the automatic gearbox and begging you to buy the manual. So what of the old-school, torque converter unit in the V6? Not bad, actually. Better than not bad. Almost good."

"it rarely lacks for mid-range or passing power, with GM's quick-shifting six-speed automatic"

I get that some people hate automatics, and wouldn't have one, especially with a torque converter. Perfectly reasonable point of view. Before the 128 I'd never bought an auto myself.

But, if you don't fall into that group, as torque converter autos go, this one isn't bad. Unless the adaptive shifting has gone into soft mode.
There's no soft mode if you drive in sport manual mode and flick the shifter yourself. I can confirm that it works very well!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #70
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I would not have gotten my car if it had an auto
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #71
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I'm getting tired of reading gay comments such as this one. Unless you own or have driven the auto box for a few days you shouldn't voice your opinion based on an opinion.
Simple: stop reading the comments.

I test drove a 128i with an autobox (no manual box to test drive) and I wasn't impressed at all. Granted, it was only for a test drive, but where can you drive a test car for days? That's rather unrealistic.

Quote:
The autos have been out for some time now and there are many positive reviews by enthusiast drivers that own one.
And there have been many negative reviews as well.

Last edited by bmw1racer; 07-20-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #72
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
I'm getting tired of reading gay comments such as this one. Unless you own or have driven the auto box for a few days you shouldn't voice your opinion based on an opinion. The autos have been out for some time now and there are many positive reviews by enthusiast drivers that own one.
I used to work with a girl who had a auto 328i @ a little over 60,000 miles she had to have the transmission replaced. Anything Cadillac does/uses I would stay away from, perfect example of that would be Northstar V8's.

Last edited by MarkkyyMan; 07-20-2014 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #73
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Simple: stop reading the comments.

I test drove a 128i with an autobox (no manual box to test drive) and I wasn't impressed at all. Granted, it was only for a test drive, but where can you drive a test car for days? That's rather unrealistic.

And there have been many negative reviews as well.
Exactly. Should not dog the tranny based on one test drive years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #74
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I used to work with a girl who had a auto 328i @ a little over 60,000 miles she had to have the transmission replaced. Anything Cadillac does/uses I would stay away from, perfect example of that would be Northstar V8's.
Gm and Ford don't suck at everything, they been selling many decent cars in Europe and here for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #75
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post

The fact that it says "almost good" lol. I mean that says a lot right there, it's just said in a more positive way
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #76
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gm and Ford don't suck at everything, they been selling many decent cars in Europe and here for years.
Never said they suck at everything, the Tremec-56 tranny in a lot of Chevy sport cars are awesome. My family owns a couple Silverado 2500 farm trucks & they haven't missed a beat.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #77
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Never said they suck at everything, the Tremec-56 tranny in a lot of Chevy sport cars are awesome. My family owns a couple Silverado 2500 farm trucks & they haven't missed a beat.
Most N52 auto boxes run well over 100k miles with no issues. I'd be surprised if the ZF units match the GM boxes in longevity.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #78
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Should not dog the tranny based on one test drive years ago.
Well, that's pretty much all you have when buying a car: test drives.

I knew I was going to buy a manual, period, I just wanted to get a feel for the entire car in general... And based on that test drive, the auto wasn't doing it for me.

Multiple test drives of an auto tranny wasn't going to make a difference. As the saying goes, "Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, expecting different results."

Last edited by bmw1racer; 07-21-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #79
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most N52 auto boxes run well over 100k miles with no issues. I'd be surprised if the ZF units match the GM boxes in longevity.
ZF is probably the best large scale transmission manufacturer in the world, I wouldn't compare any GM Auto to them..

I gave the T-56 its due credit since it was originally designed by Borg Warner & they make ok stuff lol. The T-56 that Chevrolet, Ford, & Dodge(Viper tranny was built by B.W.) used though was built by Tremec, a independent company.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #80
ULOOKN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black 125i M Sport Plus

Lol, auto what a joke.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #81
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, that's pretty much all you have when buying a car: test drives.

I knew I was going to buy a manual, period, I just wanted to get a feel for the entire car in general... And based on that test drive, the auto wasn't doing it for me.

Multiple test drives of an auto tranny wasn't going to make a difference. As the saying goes, "Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, expecting different results."
Did you drive it sport manual? Feels not that different from a stick bmw. For me, the advantage of driving a manual is in the control of the car and gearing. The sport manual gives you similar control with the advantage of resting your left foot. I love manual cars and prefer them in most cases, however the auto box is not as bad as you guys make it seem and naturally some of the harshest reviews come from guys that haven't tested them properly. I am going back to a manual for my next car, I got this auto as there were no more new manual e92 within 1000 mile proximity and ordering a car was a done deal at the time.

I agree that generally one test drive is enough to have a good idea about a cars feel, I test drive cars on a regular basis, ride sport bikes and love karting, but to know a machine at the limits takes time my friend. You're probably single, you will realize that similar could be said about women, first impressions are very important but to know her takes a very long time .
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #82
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ZF is probably the best large scale transmission manufacturer in the world, I wouldn't compare any GM Auto to them..

I gave the T-56 its due credit since it was originally designed by Borg Warner & they make ok stuff lol. The T-56 that Chevrolet, Ford, & Dodge(Viper tranny was built by B.W.) used though was built by Tremec, a independent company.
I agree that ZF autos are very good, but sometimes over complicating things makes for a less fun experience - the newer ZF units in F30 and M235 for example, driven them hard in sport manual and were not much fun, 8 gears for manual control is overkill IMO. Works well if left alone in sport, but less engaging as not in control of gearing, and I just hate driving in auto and when flooring it at speed instead of accelerating, the crucial .5 second is wasted on kick down, just dangerous especialy when zipping thru traffic. Hence why I drive always in sport manual mode. Small inconvenience - need to downshift to 1 st as braking default shifts to 2nd. Learned to do it instinctly at traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #83
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Worst thing about it is that it hunts like a dog when going uphill.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #84
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Prinz View Post
ZF or GM? Try sport manual mode. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #85
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Prinz View Post
I feel like 8 speeds are always hunting for a gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #86
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you drive it sport manual? Feels not that different from a stick bmw. For me, the advantage of driving a manual is in the control of the car and gearing. The sport manual gives you similar control with the advantage of resting your left foot.
Yup, Sport Manual mode... It felt awkward... My left foot kept hunting for a clutch pedal that wasn't there.

I felt the same way the past three days driving a loaner 328i auto while my 128i was in the shop for regular (warranty) maintenance... I was more than glad to get my car back and my left foot back in the mix.

Quote:
you will realize that similar could be said about women, first impressions are very important but to know her takes a very long time .
But with a car you get unconditional love.
      07-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #87
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I feel like 8 speeds are always hunting for a gear.
Jeremy Clarkson made the same remark about the Lexus IS-F when compared to the M3.
      07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #88
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup, Sport Manual mode... It felt awkward... My left foot kept hunting for a clutch pedal that wasn't there.

I felt the same way the past three days driving a loaner 328i auto while my 128i was in the shop for regular (warranty) maintenance... I was more than glad to get my car back and my left foot back in the mix.

But with a car you get unconditional love.
Yes, I agree. There's no replacement for manual boxes, auto takes getting used to...
Appreciate 0