06-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #133
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Lightbulb Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear Articles:

I find it amusing how some say JC is not a 'real' journalist. If you have ever read any of his books or columns you might appreciate his writings, and when it comes to putting his thoughts to paper, he's got skillz! I know, people who actually read things others than forum posts are a dying breed.

One of my favorite articles he has written for TopGear:

The end of it all!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...it-all-2009-09

And a link to some more archived writings:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...arkson-archive

Last edited by mPlasticDesign; 06-27-2011 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #134
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis911 View Post
...the CSL did its time on a wet lap with rather low temperatures on Michelin Cup tires which have barely any traction in such conditions.
Do CSLs not come supplied with Cup tires and are they never driven in low temperatures? Or are you saying we should be comparing a CSL that has been modified from standard spec (with different tyres) against the 1M? If you were comparing the CSL against the 1M in conditions that were perfect for the CSL, would you be claiming it is not right to compare them because the 1M would be disadvantaged?
      06-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #135
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

For anyone curious, the inspirational music at the end of Clarkson's drive, is "Outlands" from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack (scored by Daft Punk).

The music at the beginning is "Genesis" by Justice.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #136
Dennis911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 320td

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
Do CSLs not come supplied with Cup tires and are they never driven in low temperatures? Or are you saying we should be comparing a CSL that has been modified from standard spec (with different tyres) against the 1M? If you were comparing the CSL against the 1M in conditions that were perfect for the CSL, would you be claiming it is not right to compare them because the 1M would be disadvantaged?
Yes, the CSL does come with Cup tires and I am sure some of its users drive it in low temperatures but using the TG laps is an idiotic comparison. Yes, it is damp and cold in the real world, but the CSL, in contrast to the 1M, was never intended to drive in the real world. If you buy such a car you are fully aware of its drawbacks, such as a trunkfloor made from cardboard etc etc.
And btw: warm temperatures and a dry track would be the perfect conditions for a 1M as well.
The 1M simply can not compete with an extreme machine as the CSL. Moreover, it was never ever intended, nor engineered to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #137
asa7
I WANT A BMW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 white Chevy Cavalier coupe

Jeremy is so giddy. Every time he talks, you can see a difference in him. The only other review I can think of when he is this happy is the Fiat 500 Abarth.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #138
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy99 View Post
As I was saying......

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/chal...s-m-coupe.html

Thinking of spending around $40K-$50K, there is another option besides the mighty BOSS 302, here it is, a comparison against the Challenger SRT8, ....
guess who won

1M is a good car, but its competition is way too much!
All in all, its about preferences, and no one can tell ya how to spend your own money! (thou many make new threads just to ask, what should I buy? This or these? )
What a thoroughly stupid and irrelevant comparison, what do they have in common other than similar price tags? Surely someone in the market for a 1M wouldn't also be in the market for an SRT8?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #139
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
I still can't get over how everyone thinks that JC is such a god & that his opinion matters! Look at reviews from other motor journalists out there who know more. No doubt the 1M is great (I am a fan), but don't take JC's word for it, he's an entertainer, not a REAL motor journalist.

Top Gear is a entertainment show, not a motoring show.... girls even like it!
Shows how much you know my friend, he's a very highly respected REAL motoring journalist who has columns in various newspapers including The Times (a highly regarded british broadsheet) and obviously TG magazine.

How do you qualify which journalists "know more"? His opinion DOES matter whether you like it or not, he was single-handedly blamed by Vauxhall for the poor sales of the first generation Vectra after he totally slated it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #140
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch M3 View Post
Good review! Anyone know the music at 3:04? Sounds awesome!

Didnt want to read through the whole thread to see if someone answered this but...

The music is from "Justice"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #141
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Fact is: the CSL will still be a legend, no matter how much faster any other car will ever be able to go anywhere. Comparing a CSL against a 1M is as pointless as comparing a "Ravaglia" (e30) or an M3 GT (e36) against a 1M. Those cars all set the standard at the time they were released. Comparing any one of them to a modern car is pointless and doesn't do them justice. Nobody in their right mind would compare a 1M with a GTS and that is how far away those cars were from anything else in the BMW product range at that time.

It doesn't really surprise me, that TG review the 1M as they did. And the laptime? Different driver, no true comparison possible. To me, the review is great entertainment... no more, no less. And the run-off? Look at the way the current Stig always uses every last bit of the black stuff... I am sure, that he has had many more run-offs and this is just one they showed. To me no big deal... if you push a car to the limit, you'll overcook it sooner or later. And that's what happened.
+1
The other comparison between the 1M and the M3 is pointless as well, IMO. The M3 is coming up on 4 years of age. The 1M is brand new. Some people forget that things change (technology, performance etc) in the automotive industry in 2-3 years time...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #142
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Shows how much you know my friend, he's a very highly respected REAL motoring journalist who has columns in various newspapers including The Times (a highly regarded british broadsheet) and obviously TG magazine.

How do you qualify which journalists "know more"? His opinion DOES matter whether you like it or not, he was single-handedly blamed by Vauxhall for the poor sales of the first generation Vectra after he totally slated it.
LOL really?
JC is GOD indeed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #143
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Well BMW also blamed poor sales of the 5 GT on the fact that they initially only offered it in 550 trim.

The moral of the story is car makers don't like to blame themselves but rather othe people.

They're like American parents

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #144
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Uh, no, because conditions that are perfect for the CSL are perfect for every other car as well, including the 1M. Comparing 2 cars in ideal conditions kinda makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #145
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
I don't understand why people feel the need to knock the car down when it has gotten so many GREAT reviews...EVERYWHERE. The only people who seem to not like it are the ones who feel threatened by it. As if the 1M has made them have second thoughts on their purchase.

I'm from Miami, after the last basketball season, I'm very much accustomed to all the HATERADE!

"What's that? A Heat fan WITH a 1M?... DOUBLE HATERADE!"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #146
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX///M View Post
I don't understand why people feel the need to knock the car down when it has gotten so many GREAT reviews...EVERYWHERE. The only people who seem to not like it are the ones who feel threatened by it. As if the 1M has made them have second thoughts on their purchase.

I'm from Miami, after the last basketball season, I'm very much accustomed to all the HATERADE!

"What's that? A Heat fan WITH a 1M?... DOUBLE HATERADE!"

exactly.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #147
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
...."What's that? A Heat fan WITH a 1M?... DOUBLE HATERADE!"
A Heat fan who's already taken delivery of his 1M TRIPLE HATERADE!!!

06-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #148
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

This is evidence that the is hardware is the same as the i hardware in terms of turbos, fmic, intake, dps, etc. BMW just rabbit hotter than the i. It would be really cool to see a dyno with AFR and timing log of stock is in overboost and is with the Cobb tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #149
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I agree with the guy you quoted, the CSL's laptime is misleading since it was on cups which are only meant for hot weather (if I remember I think it was even run in the wet, but it's been years since I saw that Top Gear lap). I don't think it's unfair, but it's obvious if both were driven in the dry the CSL would be the faster car.

I really liked this episode, especially the 1M review, that was definitely the most sideways lap I've ever seen on Top Gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #150
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Instead of actually driving one and seeing what the machine can actually do, haters rather talk about how "non-M" it is, how nothing is original and is just different parts of cars put together. I guess it's just not cool to explain to people that unlike the M3, the 1M actually borrowed it's engine from a Z4, it's such an ego killer...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #151
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I agree with the guy you quoted, the CSL's laptime is misleading since it was on cups which are only meant for hot weather (if I remember I think it was even run in the wet, but it's been years since I saw that Top Gear lap). I don't think it's unfair, but it's obvious if both were driven in the dry the CSL would be the faster car.
I really liked this episode, especially the 1M review, that was definitely the most sideways lap I've ever seen on Top Gear.
E46 M3 CSL in Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/bmws-on-the-iom-ii

Also worth seeing:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/bmws-on-the-iom

Last edited by Artemis; 06-27-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #152
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

I want to drive one now
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #153
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Instead of actually driving one and seeing what the machine can actually do, haters rather talk about how "non-M" it is, how nothing is original and is just different parts of cars put together. I guess it's just not cool to explain to people that unlike the M3, the 1M actually borrowed it's engine from a Z4, it's such an ego killer...
I'd rather drive the better performing car than the one with the better engine, a car is the total package, just as an athlete is the full body and mind, not just a strong heart.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #154
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I find it amusing how some say JC is not a 'real' journalist. If you have ever read any of his books or columns you might appreciate his writings, and when it comes to putting his thoughts to paper, he's got skillz! I know, people who actually read things others than forum posts are a dying breed.

One of my favorite articles he has written for TopGear:

The end of it all!
http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...it-all-2009-09

And a link to some more archived writings:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-cla...arkson-archive
+1