BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

iPod Nano -version 6

This may not be the correct area to post, but I wanted to get as much attention as soon as possible...please feel free to move if needed.

I've done plenty of searches and though the answer to my question may be out there, it's scattered and unclear.

I have a 1st gen iPod Touch that was working perfectly through the BMW iPod interface, until a few weeks ago when I updated the software from 3.1.x to 4.2. What a mistake. I updated because on rare occasions the Touch would 'act out' and since it hadn't been synced in close to a year prior, I thought a software upgrade would restore perfection. Wrong. Only after the fact did I realize the older 1st gen processor is not fully supported through the new 4.2 software, and in Apple's infinite wisdom, you can't revert back to previous software versions.

My Question:

I am looking to buy the new iPod Nano (version 6)...see pic. I'm hoping anyone and everyone on this board who has this specific version, and only this version, will be kind enough to weigh in on performance issues. Does the standard BMW y-cable charge the ipod when connected? Is the track information displayed on the dashboard readout when playing? Are you able to quickly, without delayed response, navigate through the many folders and subfolders of music through the dashboard knobs to search and select specific music? These are all issues I have recently adopted since I updated the software on my 1st gen Touch.

I greatly appreciate any responses, I am leery of buying any new Apple products because I have heard performance issues popping up under various circumstances.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
almsfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i w/M Sport

Garage List
2011 128i Coupe  [0.00]
I've had that version of the Ipod in my 2011 128 for several months now. No issues at all so far. Yes to all your questions re charging, display and navigating the menus. It sits nicely in the area behind the cupholders so I don't have it in the pouch under the armrest.

Last edited by almsfan; 02-17-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
SinCalgary
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

I have that IPod as well. Works far better then my iPhone did though I find it leaves the display on all the time so after a couple days parked the battery will be dead and it won't pick up where it was in the playlist when I last turned the car off. Other then that no issues with it and I just keep it in the pouch under the armrest and only sync it about once a month.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCalgary View Post
I have that IPod as well. Works far better then my iPhone did though I find it leaves the display on all the time so after a couple days parked the battery will be dead and it won't pick up where it was in the playlist when I last turned the car off. Other then that no issues with it and I just keep it in the pouch under the armrest and only sync it about once a month.

I just got my car back and had purchased this iPod (oddly, my first iPod ever) while my car was being repaired, and I was going to test it out this morning.

But as for songs not picking up where they left off, ever since the last BMW software update (and before my car's accident) mine was doing that with a regular thumbdrive. I would park the car and run into the store, when I came back, started the car, the USB source would play music from back when I started the car the last time, not pick up where it left off. Was annoying if I had a favorite song ready to go.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0