E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > xenon angel eyes anyone.check it out boyeeeee!!!!!

11-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #23
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
yujini, do you have to access it from the bottom of the bumper? like when you reach for the foglight bulb?
uhh...it's kind of hard to explain. it would've been better if i could take pics. Maybe i'll be able to take pics next week if i actually change it cause now it seems the stocks don't look so bad.

I'm considering either blue or white and will try on both. (the HID bulbs for the angel lights cost around 20 bux or so each.)

It's kind of similar taking out the fog lights, but obviously you are taking out something from behind the lights so it's above it.
Just unscrew everything that's underneath (but in front of the front wheels and therefore that's y u need to take out the wheels)
take out the piece of black sheet? or whatever you call it, and you'll be able to take out the light socket that the OP posted above.

It's soldered in, so just cut it out and replace it and put it back in.
I'm a bit worried that it might be too dark, or the blue HID might not look good when I turn on the lights (blue rings and white lights kinda seems odd but i'll probably need to see it myself) so i might do the white HID angel eyes.

If you've done this on the X5 it should be similar.
The X5 had the lights beaming the optical cable from above so you could take it out right away after you popped the hood, but i dunno,
seems like BMW is trying to discourage anyone from changing the lights for some reason so the lights beam the optical cable from above for the e90.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #24
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
yujini, thanks for the advice. It really helps.

I can already picture whats going on here and what I have to do after reading your post.
I am familiar with replacing and soldering, so I might try this as a winter vacation project.

again, thank you!

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #25
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sic06e90
I wonder if I could make and sell this idea.what do you guys think?
how much would one be willing 2 pay for this sort of thing.
the other immediate question is how many people... less than half the owners out there would want to fiddle w/ this little mod...

the word wouldn't get out to the masses fast enough for you to really quit your day job either...

if it were me, i'd feel i'd gain more 'board' fame than financial wealth and pass the 'charge me' idea.

if it was a tweak to somehow gain '10-20 more hp'... essentially a performance gain for the car, i think it'd be more substantial. just giving an example.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 06:38 PM   #26
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc
the other immediate question is how many people... less than half the owners out there would want to fiddle w/ this little mod...

the word wouldn't get out to the masses fast enough for you to really quit your day job either...

if it were me, i'd feel i'd gain more 'board' fame than financial wealth and pass the 'charge me' idea.

if it was a tweak to somehow gain '10-20 more hp'... essentially a performance gain for the car, i think it'd be more substantial. just giving an example.
i would buy that for sure
      11-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #27
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Electric Red

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I wonder if I could make and sell this idea.what do you guys think?
how much would one be willing 2 pay for this sort of thing.
I can't believe how "money hungry" people can be. Well it is America....you have to capitalize on everything. When I once had an Mitsu EVO I was always amazed by how much people wanted to share their DYI projects on the forums. It's unfortunate that this forum isn't the same. There must be atleast 3 threads in this forum about people accessing the angel eye bulbs but no has yet revealed how.
      11-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #28
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
well, i'll see if I can take pics while changing the bulb.
explaining how to DIY is pretty hard I guess.

but blue angel eyes with white xenon lights? hmm I wonder if it will look good. Hope it does though it might be a bit dark.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 10:18 PM   #29
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yujini, honestly, I think you shuold go with white angel eyes.

Since our car is alpine white, it'll go really well with the white disco lights, and white xenons. I can't imagine how clean and sexy it'll look, white angel eyes matched with white clear bulbs around. I need some time to do this! aish...

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #30
1sic06e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1SICO6

here is the diy for the xenon angel eyes,wasnt trying to be a prick,just goofin around a little bit before I told how thats all.there is virtually no way to change the original bulb in the original housing without almost destroying the bulb and housing,so what I did was I completely hollowed out the housing and cut it almost in half right at the top of the base.then made the opening a little more wider to accomidate a whole new bulb socket.I went and bought a side marker socket with the wedge style bulb and used a xenon interior bulb 2 fit in it.cut the old connections off and spliced the new socket on 2 it.used splice connectors 2 put them together,then used heat shrink tube 2 make it cleaner.I still used the top half of the housing so it went right back on as original.sorry I didnt take picks till the end but you get the idea.it might be possible 2 do it another way but i couldnt figure it out.
there u go, :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: sincerly onesicko6e90
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #31
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
here is the diy for the xenon angel eyes,wasnt trying to be a prick,just goofin around a little bit before I told how thats all.there is virtually no way to change the original bulb in the original housing without almost destroying the bulb and housing,so what I did was I completely hollowed out the housing and cut it almost in half right at the top of the base.then made the opening a little more wider to accomidate a whole new bulb socket.I went and bought a side marker socket with the wedge style bulb and used a xenon interior bulb 2 fit in it.cut the old connections off and spliced the new socket on 2 it.used splice connectors 2 put them together,then used heat shrink tube 2 make it cleaner.I still used the top half of the housing so it went right back on as original.sorry I didnt take picks till the end but you get the idea.it might be possible 2 do it another way but i couldnt figure it out.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a whole lot of work to "simply" change the color of angel eyes. The passenger side angel eye on my E90 burnt out and I was hoping that a replacement bulb from an auto parts store would do. but after reading your post it looks like that I will be needing a whole new housing.
      11-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #32
chris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine4surfah
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a whole lot of work to "simply" change the color of angel eyes. The passenger side angel eye on my E90 burnt out and I was hoping that a replacement bulb from an auto parts store would do. but after reading your post it looks like that I will be needing a whole new housing.
Why don't you try your dealership's service dept?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #33
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

blue would probably be illegal.....
im not saying dont make it blue, and im not saying that you will go to jail or anything. but i know most of you guys are 100% law abiding citizens, so you might wanna keep that in mind
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #34
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Thats exactly the problem we are running into, you have to modify the lights in order to change them, not a simple bulb switch. We would like to make a more plug and play solution but that is proving difficult
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #35
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheaven
blue would probably be illegal.....
im not saying dont make it blue, and im not saying that you will go to jail or anything. but i know most of you guys are 100% law abiding citizens, so you might wanna keep that in mind
I don't see any reason why blue would be illlegal. BTW, I was in Ft. Lauderdale over the weekend and I drove by your place. I saw your E90 out front. I didn't have time to stop by though. You're right off of Commercial right?
      11-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #36
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

at least in the state of florida ANY blue or red lights are illegal. it doesnt matter if the flash or spin or what. under the car neons, the stupid windshield washer sprayer lights, anything inside your head or tailights. ANY blue or red lights are illegal and you can get tickets for them. even shades of green and purple could get you pulled over and hassled.
And yes!!! i am right off commercial. thats sooo weird that you drove by. what a small world.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #37
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
same here. NO blue or red. I think white/yellow/amber is ok..

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #38
nine4surfah
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
Why don't you try your dealership's service dept?
I did! The service dept is 4wks behind schedule. I made my appoint about 3wks ago and I wont be able to have my car serviced until Dec 15!!!! :mad:
      11-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #39
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, you guys are right. Don't know what I was thinking.
      11-29-2005, 06:58 PM   #40
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

i like the stock color
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #41
AndrewE46
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325

pretty sick!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 06:37 AM   #42
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok, after trying to replace the angel eye bulb, I realized what the OP posted as the guide is exactly what you need to do.
More importantly, I tried pretty much almost every bulb out there, but it's just dark. Definitely darker than the OEM light bulb.

A friend of mine has actually done it and left it there, but I chose not to do it just cause it's too dark.

Since I don't have my camera with me right now, I'll see what I can do to take a pic of my friend's e90.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #43
BMW_E90
Major
Rep
Drives: 325i

any one know how much watts "W" oem bulb is?
      12-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #44
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini
Ok, after trying to replace the angel eye bulb, I realized what the OP posted as the guide is exactly what you need to do.
More importantly, I tried pretty much almost every bulb out there, but it's just dark. Definitely darker than the OEM light bulb.

A friend of mine has actually done it and left it there, but I chose not to do it just cause it's too dark.

Since I don't have my camera with me right now, I'll see what I can do to take a pic of my friend's e90.
Yujini, thanks for the update!

did you have to cut/solder and tap into OEM wires?
I wonder if this will void warranty in anyway?

Appreciate 0