BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #45
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

I was told my issue is due to a Bad Solar Sensor on the back of the Rear view mirror. they saw the codes thrown for bad Solar -rain-light sensor.

I am still not convince that a Solar sensor can cause AUX Cooling FAN to run all the time.. They saying the sensor sense the Solar from SUN and think that FAN need to be turned ON when AC is ON.

Now looking for a DIY if I can change it myself.

part # 61359214977

Last edited by freshwater; 07-15-2014 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #46
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Interesting. Let me know if it fixes the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #47
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Mine does it in the garage when no light is shining on it. Also I've found that if if rev the engine a few times it will quite down for a few seconds then ramp back up. It also seems even louder if I click the Max button on the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #48
forevermirin135i
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i w/ m sport package

Hey guys, I'm really hoping someone here can lead me in the right direction.

Ok so here's my story that I also posted on reddit.com/r/bmw

Ok this is on a 2008 bmw 135i at 55k miles... so originally my a/c went out earlier this year. Took it to my old shop (not the indy shop who replaced the a/c compressor) and they said my a/c compressor was out and i needed a new. Fast forward a couple of months later I purchase the a/c compressor and pay for the indy shop to install the a/c compressor.
Earlier today as I was driving around, i went to park my car and go inside the gas station, left it running, and locked the car. I noticed the fan was kind of loud. I eventually leave the gas station and head over to my gym and the a/c all of a sudden starts blowing warm air. I go to park the car in the parking garage at the gym and I notice the a/c almost wants to engage and then it doesn't engage and the fan is sort of loud when the a/c is on, and i turned off the a/c and the loud fan went back to normal.
Can anyone help diagnose what's wrong with my car? I already just spent $900 in repairs already for a/c compressor + labor.
I'm possibly thinking it's a leaking evaporator now?

I'm going to call the indy shop and ask if i can take the car back in for him to inspect what's going on.. I just hope someone of the forums can help me out here!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #49
MRLIMPORT
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 WHITE, X5 2013 BLUE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Mine does it in the garage when no light is shining on it. Also I've found that if if rev the engine a few times it will quite down for a few seconds then ramp back up. It also seems even louder if I click the Max button on the A/C.
Hi Guys,
I took my X5 2013 to the dealer with the same problem and they said that the problem should be the temperature sensor not the relay, water pump or fan. I will have the sensor replaced today and i will let you know if it will fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #50
palitsyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE (2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRLIMPORT View Post
Hi Guys,
I took my X5 2013 to the dealer with the same problem and they said that the problem should be the temperature sensor not the relay, water pump or fan. I will have the sensor replaced today and i will let you know if it will fix the problem.
Hi, so what happened in the end? thanks.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #51
palitsyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE (2006)

Anyway, just got my car back and everything is sorted. It was because of an overcharged AC. The report says 890g taken out and 590g injected. Had it recharged a few months ago and the previous place messed it up. The car is quiet again.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #52
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Old Thread - But did anyone ever figure out why FAN runs all the time. Mine is still running very loud when AC is ON and Shuts Off when AC is OFF. AC cooling is fine.

From previous posts their were two conclusions.
1) Temp Sensor
2) Over Charged AC.
      09-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #53
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

This has just started happening to my 2012 BMW 135i. When my A/C is on, I can hear the radiator fan speeding up and down like crazy in regular intervals. When I parked my car, I tested to see if the same symptoms were there after I turned off A/C. The fan stopped ramping up and down like crazy.

Does this sound like a waterpump and/or thermostat issue as well? Should I bring my car to the dealer or wait till I get some kind of alert in the car? I know it's not normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #54
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

^^ I like to update and seems like My Aux Fan problem of running very loud when AC is turned ON is fixed.

After replacing the A/C pressure sensor on the High pressure line I don't hear the Aux Fan going crazy. The Compressor is still engaging and Car is Cooling fine but no more Fan sound.
I need to Vacuum the R134a at local shop before I remove the Sensor, I used 15/16" Wrench and it was quiet tight before it get loose. After putting back the new sensor I add ~12oz of R134a and bring to 28psi at 80F and it start cooling again. I believe E70 takes 1.1lb +- of R134a on a complete empty system.
Never over fill the R134a it can cause problems. I will check it out with local shop how much more I need.

See the 2 pics of the part I replaced $35 and the location of the part on my E70 N62.

Mfg Part # 64539181464
A/C pressure sensor located in A/C line from receiver-drier to evaporator.
Attached Images

09-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #55
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

ah oh, looks like it was indeed the waterpump/thermostat! my car entered limp mode today and the message on the display said that the engine temperature was hot.

had to pull off to the side of the road, turn off the car, and wait a little bit before restarting the car to complete my journey home.

i'll be sending my car to the dealer on monday for some warranty work!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #56
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
^^ I like to update and seems like My Aux Fan problem of running very loud when AC is turned ON is fixed.

After replacing the A/C pressure sensor on the High pressure line I don't hear the Aux Fan going crazy. The Compressor is still engaging and Car is Cooling fine but no more Fan sound.
I need to Vacuum the R134a at local shop before I remove the Sensor, I used 15/16" Wrench and it was quiet tight before it get loose. After putting back the new sensor I add ~12oz of R134a and bring to 28psi at 80F and it start cooling again. I believe E70 takes 1.1lb +- of R134a on a complete empty system.
Never over fill the R134a it can cause problems. I will check it out with local shop how much more I need.

See the 2 pics of the part I replaced $35 and the location of the part on my E70 N62.

Mfg Part # 64539181464
A/C pressure sensor located in A/C line from receiver-drier to evaporator.
Had the same issue as described on the thread on my 09 e90 335i. I did not have any codes that pointed to thermostat or water pump.

How I noticed the issue:
1.) A/C was cooling but I thought not as cold as my e92 m3

2.) I decided to fill the freon with those AutoZone kits which I ended up overfilling it. I called TireKingdom seeing if they can just take it all out and recharge, the guy on the phone suggested to let the Freon out into a bucket of water. So putting the end of the autozone hose into a bucket of water. I was reluctant but car idle was going crazy. So I took some out and everything seemed fine after A/C worked back to how it was originally. Point to this rant NEVER using the AutoZone kit again.

3.) After, started noticing the Radiator/Coolant fan blasting at full speed all the time when A/C on. Sounded like car was going to take off and my idle/vibration was rough.

Which in turn googling brought me to this thread.

I had TiresChoice do the full taking out of all the freon, replace the A/C pressure sensor as Freshwater suggested, check for leaks, then replace the freon to the correct amount. They obviously suggested it being many other things but they were nice enough to just do what I asked them to do. The quoted price was $129 for removing and recharging A/C, $98 for the sensor and labor (price for sensor was $45). I could have replaced sensor myself but for the price didn't want to have to go back and forth.

Fan noise is gone, A/C is cooling better than ever, and idle is back to smooth. Couldn't really say if it was because of the sensor or the freon was overloaded. But doing both fixed it and for the price of the sensor might as well do both as to replace the sensor you have to take the freon out (to do it the right way).

Thanks Freshwater for the input and fix, it was driving me crazy.

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 0