BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #67
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
Does any one know if it is the N55 or the new 943/933 pump and the pump priming software or just some difference between the N54 and N55?
It has been speculated by many people, me included, that perhaps the HPFP was the "victim" of something else with the system, that caused the pumps to go bad. However, no one has yet figured out if that is the case.

The N55 uses the newest HPFP, which I believe is also the pump that is currently being used for replacement in N54 failures.
The newest pump was released sometime in Jan/Feb of this year.

I do believe that the N55 uses a different way to drive the HPFP, so that may be an indication as to what may cause the N54 to create a pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #68
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

+1 on the proof. If this has happened on the N55, surely somebody could source a link... Ive seen nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #69
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It has been speculated by many people, me included, that perhaps the HPFP was the "victim" of something else with the system, that caused the pumps to go bad. However, no one has yet figured out if that is the case.

The N55 uses the newest HPFP, which I believe is also the pump that is currently being used for replacement in N54 failures.
The newest pump was released sometime in Jan/Feb of this year.

I do believe that the N55 uses a different way to drive the HPFP, so that may be an indication as to what may cause the N54 to create a pump failure.
Different drive method?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #70
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
Different drive method?
The High Pressure Fuel Pump is fed by a lower pressure pump, the latest speculation points to the fact that N54 cars start when the HPFP is dry (the fuel itself acts as lubricant or even coolant for the pump) as a possible explanation for premature failure.

The latest software primes the fuel pump as soon as you unlock the car so by the time you get in and start it, the pump is full of fuel which would in theory alleviate this issue.

So...what he was trying to say is maybe they have a new way of feeding or operating this pump even though the high pressure pump itself is the same as before.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #71
Nifty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3

My car (09' 135i) has been in the shop for a few weeks now having its 3rd HPFP replacement. The service manager did mention that the lowside fuel pump from the tank had been updated since my car was made. perhaps that's what has been causing all my problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #72
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The High Pressure Fuel Pump is fed by a lower pressure pump, the latest speculation points to the fact that N54 cars start when the HPFP is dry (the fuel itself acts as lubricant or even coolant for the pump) as a possible explanation for premature failure.

The latest software primes the fuel pump as soon as you unlock the car so by the time you get in and start it, the pump is full of fuel which would in theory alleviate this issue.

So...what he was trying to say is maybe they have a new way of feeding or operating this pump even though the high pressure pump itself is the same as before.
Ahh I see I thought he was saying it was driven from the engine differently. I was wondering how if it was the same part. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #73
SR-71BB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135ic, BSM/Coral,DSG,ZMP

So far....

Just turned 1200mi; no problems other than an occasional failure of the right mirror to pop down in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #74
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
If this is the case, all the more reason to use a good fuel additive every tank.

I like dosing with a bit of FP60, MMO and/or 2-cycle oil at a very low treat rate. Using adds, you can hear the lubricity difference in terms of pitch of the sound from the in tank pumps in different cars. Lubricity is an issue with modern fuels, and ethanol may worsten that (though not directly be an issue).

IMO it is smart to run a fuel add regardless. Im currently running a maintenance dose (1-3 oz per tank) in my 11. Hopefully Ill not have issues regardless, but better safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #75
Bavarian MW
lurker
Rep
Drives: 16 s1000r 17 M240i 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71BB View Post
Just turned 1200mi; no problems other than an occasional failure of the right mirror to pop down in reverse.
Are you sure that it is not user error in having the mirror selector switch to the wrong side for auto tilt? --MW
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #76
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS+1 View Post
To respond to the OP's question, I picked up my 2011 6MT on April 21, and 3 months later it now has over 12,000 km (7500 miles!!)

Aside from two isolated sound system/speaker anomalies that each occurred only once, the car has not missed a beat. The N55 has started immediately every single time I pushed the button since the day I took delivery. I love this car! We are indeed a fortunate bunch.
You pull miles more than I. I do around 2000 a month
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #77
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
If your left leg is not moving, you're driving some form of an automatic.
Aah, so if you left foot brake all the time you're not driving an automatic
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #78
Jseries1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

N55 HPFP

Hate to rain on the N55 parade but mine was just towed to the shop last night for what I believe is a HPFP failure. No word on diagnosis yet, but that's the sentiment amongst my firends and I. I will post with the update. The scary thing is, I had no noted warning(i.e. long cranks). Motor simply won't turn over. Everything else is fine in the car. It only has 7k on it!!
      06-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #79
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

There was an N55 getting the HPFP replaced at my local shop several months ago. I have no way to back this up with pics or anything, so don't ask. I hope they have the issue fixed.
      06-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #80
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Dude, I hate to rain on your parade but the motor not turning over has nothing to do with the fuel pump. When the pump fails, the motor still turns over, but it either yields long cranks, or it will just turn over and not start at all.

Almost 18k miles and running like champ here! Just dyno'ed my car this weekend and the thing put down some impressive figures for a bone stock n55!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseries1 View Post
Hate to rain on the N55 parade but mine was just towed to the shop last night for what I believe is a HPFP failure. No word on diagnosis yet, but that's the sentiment amongst my firends and I. I will post with the update. The scary thing is, I had no noted warning(i.e. long cranks). Motor simply won't turn over. Everything else is fine in the car. It only has 7k on it!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #81
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Dude, I hate to rain on your parade but the motor not turning over has nothing to do with the fuel pump. When the pump fails, the motor still turns over, but it either yields long cranks, or it will just turn over and not start at all.

Almost 18k miles and running like champ here! Just dyno'ed my car this weekend and the thing put down some impressive figures for a bone stock n55!

When my HPFP failed my engine would not start at all. Here IS a pic of that. I had to push the car out of the garage. I think maybe when he says that it won't turn over, that he means that it won't start.

06-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #82
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Wrong - read my post again. I said it will either have long cranks (which means it will eventually start), OR it may never start, but the engine will still turn over. The pump has nothing to do withe starter motor. He said his engine is not turning over.

Some people need to learn how to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Quote:

Wrong. When my HPFP failed my engine would not start at all. Here IS a pic of that. I had to push the car out of the garage.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #83
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And some people need to quit being douche bags. Also, I edited my post while I assume you were replying to it. I am betting on it being a semantics issue.
      06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #84
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

So your inability to read makes me a douche bag?!? Dude it's your parents' fault not mine. If you can't read when arguing a point, then just stfu and stop telling people they are wrong!

Moving on...

Quote:
Quote:

And some people need to quit being douche bags. Also, I edited my post while I assume you were replying to it. I am betting on it being a semantics issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #85
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

The fact that you assume that I was calling you a douche bag points to a larger issue. Comprehend?
      06-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #86
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I surely comprehend...name calling apparently never gets old on these forums; however, I think you have a bigger problem at hand with your cognitive skills - or lack of.

This will be my last response regarding your personal problems.

Sorry OP...trolls will be trolls and cannot be avoided, but I will do my part and stop here

Quote:
The fact that you assume that I was calling you a douche bag points to a larger issue. Comprehend?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #87
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I surely comprehend...name calling apparently never gets old on these forums; however, I think you have a bigger problem at hand with your cognitive skills - or lack of.

This will be my last response regarding your personal problems.

Sorry OP...trolls will be trolls and cannot be avoided, but I will do my part and stop here
Yeah, because the tag Troll isn't used enough either.
      06-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #88
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

For what it's worth, you started this shit storm by calling me illiterate, so get off your high horse. I was in the process of editing my post to clarify the point that I was getting across at the time that you replied to it.