BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #23
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Dude I bet your insurance will be nearly the same for the 135i or the 135i + 97 4runner (liability)

I in 2008 i was driving a brand new civic with full comp and collision, then i bought a 93 hatch, it made my insurance go down! The multicar discount was greater than the added liability on the old civic... just my 2cents.

Also if you really are playing gigs with your wife then take the 4 door civic.
and as for camping rent an suv from budget for 200, not only can you return it dirty as hell but you dont have to worry about the monthly insurance, the yearly inspection, oil change, registration yadda yadda.

What you will regret and dont want to do is settle for something as a compromise for 1 trip a year FWIW
Of course I'm going to listen to the one person who agrees with me, and subconsciously was waiting for this, but you bring up very valid points.

I'm going to see if our stuff will fit in her civic and if it does then it's a done deal for me. I can rent an SUV for the weekend for less than $200. So that's not an issue.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #24
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
^^ +1. The 135i is by no means a practical vehicle but it's by far my favorite of all the vehicles I've ever owned. Accept it for what it is and work around that

One thing you could do in addition to the SUV rental is a small utility trailer. Get a hitch put on the civic and transport instruments in that with dogs in the back seat.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #25
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well if my car were in town I'd let you just try it on for size. I'm working out of town at the moment and have the car with me. It's too much fun to drive to leave it there and drive rental cars.

But, Darrell Waltrip and Sunvertibles in Franklin have a 1er and so does Arde in Brentwood. Take one for a drive if you haven't arleady, they likely will let you take it home too and see if your stuff fits or not.

Relative to the X1 that some have suggested...I get an X1 whenever I drop my car off for service and I swear It's easier to get my golf clubs in and out of the 1 than the X1. Maybe it's me though.

As far as reliability, I can't speak to the N54 but my car has been highly reliable for me. I had the trans lag issue but that was a software fix. You will get a lot of anecdotal evidence here both good and bad relative to what happened to individuals. Places like Consumer Reports or True Delta take more macro view but even there they mix 128 and 135 under "1 Series" and conventional wisdom says the 135 is less reliable since turbo.

I did a lot of research before buying mine and what I came away with is that it's not a reliability gremlin, you gotta take care of it more so than a Honda or Toyota. The major things to look out for are related to cooling, specifically the water pump. Apparently they are made of gummi bears and jello (specifically the impeller). Electronic gremlins pop up more frequently than you'd like too.

Prior to buying mine I had only had "reliable" japaese cars or 'murican cars I could mostly fix so I went CPO to minimize my risk. If I buy another one (1er) I would not go CPO.

You mentioned you are a musician and if you like to listen to music in the car I'll point out the audio system in the 1er isn't much and it's a hassle and a half to change. I have the business audio and it's serviceable but nothing like what I've had in other cars. There are no mid range speakers in the car at all and adding them is tough due to the lack of an amplifier (it may be integrated into the head unit, there are threads about it).

I'm not at all trying to discourage you. In fact, it's the funnest car I've had and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I don't have the space requirements you do though, usually just me and my golf clubs.

If the 1 doesn't work out and you want a fun to drive rwd coupe with some room maybe check out the new Mustang. I've not been in one but they are supposed to be nice inside and the hatch offers up some versatility that the 1er doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #26
sparky1_2007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
X1 xdrive 35i for you! Speed Utility Vehicle.
Was just going to suggest this.

I want one myself because I like the hatchback look it's got along with the N55 power plant.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #27
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Wifey has a 2.8i. Very nice.
      03-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #28
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Practicality is also a function of the size of the people you need to transport. There is a thread in the European Delivery section of another website where 4 college aged boys shared a 1 series for a European delivery. 4 "adults" for 7 days in a one series. But they look like average size or smaller people. Males in my family are all well over 6 feet tall and there are three females 5'9" and one about average height. So there are a bunch of us and we are mostly above average height.

The 1 series is a better family vehicle if you happen to be average sized or smaller. I think the trunk also works out better if it's only two people and/or if it is people who don't bring a lot of stuff (in my experience this is more the males). If it had been 4 college girls.....
      03-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #29
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
Get a 135i vert. You can fit all kinds of stuff in the back with the top down
This totally works for me. Top down. Load up. Top up. Drive to distination. Reverse procedure. Even the in-laws were loaded this way for a trip to the doctor.

Last edited by gmartan; 03-04-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
TwistedDrum5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveferris View Post
Well if my car were in town I'd let you just try it on for size. I'm working out of town at the moment and have the car with me. It's too much fun to drive to leave it there and drive rental cars.

But, Darrell Waltrip and Sunvertibles in Franklin have a 1er and so does Arde in Brentwood. Take one for a drive if you haven't arleady, they likely will let you take it home too and see if your stuff fits or not.

Relative to the X1 that some have suggested...I get an X1 whenever I drop my car off for service and I swear It's easier to get my golf clubs in and out of the 1 than the X1. Maybe it's me though.

As far as reliability, I can't speak to the N54 but my car has been highly reliable for me. I had the trans lag issue but that was a software fix. You will get a lot of anecdotal evidence here both good and bad relative to what happened to individuals. Places like Consumer Reports or True Delta take more macro view but even there they mix 128 and 135 under "1 Series" and conventional wisdom says the 135 is less reliable since turbo.

I did a lot of research before buying mine and what I came away with is that it's not a reliability gremlin, you gotta take care of it more so than a Honda or Toyota. The major things to look out for are related to cooling, specifically the water pump. Apparently they are made of gummi bears and jello (specifically the impeller). Electronic gremlins pop up more frequently than you'd like too.

Prior to buying mine I had only had "reliable" japaese cars or 'murican cars I could mostly fix so I went CPO to minimize my risk. If I buy another one (1er) I would not go CPO.

You mentioned you are a musician and if you like to listen to music in the car I'll point out the audio system in the 1er isn't much and it's a hassle and a half to change. I have the business audio and it's serviceable but nothing like what I've had in other cars. There are no mid range speakers in the car at all and adding them is tough due to the lack of an amplifier (it may be integrated into the head unit, there are threads about it).

I'm not at all trying to discourage you. In fact, it's the funnest car I've had and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I don't have the space requirements you do though, usually just me and my golf clubs.

If the 1 doesn't work out and you want a fun to drive rwd coupe with some room maybe check out the new Mustang. I've not been in one but they are supposed to be nice inside and the hatch offers up some versatility that the 1er doesn't.
Well when do you get back in town?! haha. What do you drive?

I'm, obviously, still in the looking stages, but as of right now I'm going to be really picky. I really want comfort access, MT, Sport seats, hopefully M-package, and I'm leaning more towards the 135i (any year). With my budget I'm not sure I'll be able to go to a dealer, but we'll see.

I've seen a few that if I can get people to wiggle on, would be perfect. But obviously I need to check one out for space, and see if I really need the 135i. I've driven an auto 128i, and while it was quick, I'd love to feel what a 135i drives like, especially a MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Practicality is also a function of the size of the people you need to transport. There is a thread in the European Delivery section of another website where 4 college aged boys shared a 1 series for a European delivery. 4 "adults" for 7 days in a one series. But they look like average size or smaller people. Males in my family are all well over 6 feet tall and there are three females 5'9" and one about average height. So there are a bunch of us and we are mostly above average height.

The 1 series is a better family vehicle if you happen to be average sized or smaller. I think the trunk also works out better if it's only two people and/or if it is people who don't bring a lot of stuff (in my experience this is more the males). If it had been 4 college girls.....
My wife and I are both on the smaller size. I think it fits me perfect .
Appreciate 0