02-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtoby View Post
Congratulations and enjoy your car! Great read as well!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast
Great write up congrats.
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator
Congratulations and thanks for sharing ... ED = lifetime experience ..
Thanks for reading! ED is definitely worth it. I went with my older brother and we visited all our relatives in Germany. By the end of the trip the 1M felt like part of the family! My cousins still ask how it's doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU
Awesome write-up and photos! Thanks for sharing. I also did European Delivery in October and have been meaning to post some photos. Great time of the year to be in Bavaria. We got to experience three seasons at the same time -- green grass on the ground, autumn leaves in the trees and snow in the Alps.
Thanks - yep, the weather was great for most of my trip. I realized I didn't post any mandatory "tourist" photos in my original post. I'll add some shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
Maximus...
The Autobots love your write-up and I gotta agree that the last paragraph is something I think about every day. A lot of us are damned lucky on so many levels.
Yes! My fellow Autobots finally chime in! Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Hold on a sec... ... is that a Dinobot in the back?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitt13
Great !!! nice pics !!!
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3
Congrats and great writeup! PM info on your 135 as I have a close friend that is looking for one. Thanks!
Thanks! Congrats on your 1M purchase too! I've posted the 135 in the 1Addicts "For Sale" section, but will send you a PM with more info:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622819

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Hear hear! Congratulations!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London
Enjoyed the read & pics look great.........Nice one.
Thanks mate! I've been keeping track of your build thread - your car is looking sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Mercedes benzes are very expensive to repair and they also have so many gadgets that when they fail, they are very expensive. For this reason, they are often slow sellers in the used market and they depreciate rapidly.
Cadillac and Land rover are other examples.
I hear that. I called my CLS my $1K car - because every time it went to the shop I had to shell out multiples of $1,000. Still, I can't say I've had bad experiences with my Benzes. Like I said, my C230K got me past 100K in grad school with zero issues. The one exception was the ML - what a piece of junk. I'm waiting to learn more about the Evoque's quality before I jump into that ship because like you I've also heard bad things about Land Rovers.

Thanks for all the responses! I finally got done processing some of my more "touristy" photos - will post them up shortly.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
tv4184
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota 4Runner / Honda Accord

Jealous...I wish that I could have had the ED experience. I'll have to settle for finding a pre-owned in 6 months :-/ Congrats though!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #25
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
More pics...

===========
At BMW Welt
===========

hanging out at the 6-series display inside the BMW Welt's cyclone:

=================
At the BMW Museum
=================

Folks - please stop calling my car an "Orange M1." This is what a real Orange M1 looks like!

BMW M Power - almost as powerful as Energon (Transformers joke)!!

=======
Munich
=======

At the Marienplatz

Kennedy's - the only restaurant we found open at 9pm on a Thursday night. They had a good live band and some American-sized portions:

=========
Heidelberg
=========

At the "Magic Castle" of Heidelberg

View of Heidelberg from the Castle grounds

The castle's HUGE wine barrel!

========
Frankfurt
========

Some trippy pics from the "My Zeil" shopping mall:

Frankfurt at night:

Thanks!!
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Mercedes benzes are very expensive to repair and they also have so many gadgets that when they fail, they are very expensive. For this reason, they are often slow sellers in the used market and they depreciate rapidly.
Cadillac and Land rover are other examples.
I have to disagree. BMWs have just as many gadgets as Merc and the list is just growing. For instance, look at the F01 and F10. Luckily, the 1M is mostly gadget free, but afterall it is BMW's base model.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Great write up. Funny how small of a world it is meeting another 1addict member...

Also, Valencia orange has grown on me so much. I always thought if I got a 1M it would be black because I always thought black was the only color that works on 1 series. Well Valencia orange is my favorite now!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

That's a Dinobot! My buddy has every original Transformer...including Fortress Maximus and Unicron.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

@Maximus Prime
Nice pictures of undoubtedly a great journey. I assume you did not visit a bank during your stay in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #30
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv4184
Jealous...I wish that I could have had the ED experience. I'll have to settle for finding a pre-owned in 6 months :-/ Congrats though!
No worries if you aren't buying a new BMW - you can still get the ED experience by visiting BMW Welt in Munich. Anybody can visit! In fact, the only thing you get to do during ED that's different from simply visiting BMW Welt is picking up your new car there. But they actually rent out BMWs there so you could technically visit the Welt and rent an M3 for a few days and get something very similar to the ED experience (without the painful wait for your car when you get home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
I have to disagree. BMWs have just as many gadgets as Merc and the list is just growing. For instance, look at the F01 and F10. Luckily, the 1M is mostly gadget free, but afterall it is BMW's base model.
I'd argue the 1M is most gadget-free because it was designed as an enthusiast car, not because it is a "base" model. But I get what you're saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135
Great write up. Funny how small of a world it is meeting another 1addict member...

Also, Valencia orange has grown on me so much. I always thought if I got a 1M it would be black because I always thought black was the only color that works on 1 series. Well Valencia orange is my favorite now!
Yeah, I was initially concerned that VO would be too over the top, but it is a surprisingly classy color. It is more beautiful than it is "in your face," if that makes any sense. As we've discussed, the color Valencia Orange would look great with a nice set of black colored ADV|5 or ADV|6 wheels... though as I've learned I don't think I have enough color green to make that happen hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
That's a Dinobot! My buddy has every original Transformer...including Fortress Maximus and Unicron.
That is epic. The Maximus and Unicron figures only ever existed in my dreams. Dinobots were the best, though - especially Grimlock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Nice pictures of undoubtedly a great journey. I assume you did not visit a bank during your stay in Germany.
Thanks! Believe it or not, I do not own an Autobot mask. I photoshopped that head into those pictures. Pretty good job if I say so myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Yeah, I was initially concerned that VO would be too over the top, but it is a surprisingly classy color. It is more beautiful than it is "in your face," if that makes any sense.
Same here. Never saw VO IRL until delivery of my 1M and trusted it would be fine. Stunning color. Do not regret my choice. VO hides dirt better than AW and BSM. Though I think BSM better hides scratches (front spoiler is made of black tissue - VO, AW and BSM are only the top layer).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post

hhmmmm... Well.. I can agree that the gadgets are beginning to be added to BMWs.... idrive controllers, seat belt delivery arms, EDC etc.... But Mercedes still has things like funky suspension designs including self leveling suspensions (BMW used self leveling suspension for a short while and then killed it) and other electronic vacuum operated items like door locks etc that commonly fail. Perhaps the difference is that these simply fail a lot more on Mercs, or maybe they use some of these items across so many models...

ECU failures

http://www.ecutesting.com/mercedes_c..._failures.html

Secondary air pump failures

http://mercedesforum.com/forum/gener...failure-36747/

Dashboard failures (note the sheer number of affected models due to ribbon cable design)

http://pixelfix.net/eng/mercedes.html
Appreciate 0