BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
3D printed personalized stainless steel numbered 1M plaques :)

*** New details below, scroll down ***

Hey guys,

Been throwing the idea around of getting a custom numbered plaque to go in our lovely 1M's.

I first got the idea after seeing what Revosport did with their 1M Raze rendition. I liked the overall shape and position of the badge, but thought the design looked a little weak:

Then I took a look at the limited edition badge that the UK owners got and thought that it was a bit better but I didn't like the location and I think everyone who owns a 1M would love to have their own specific number on the badge:

So I decided to design my own version that had a bit more high end feel to it. Kind of a combination of both but I wanted a better look and feel.

The above are just options I thought of, so if you have other suggestions on what you want on your plaque, just let me know and we can go from there.

Below are the final model options rendered in 3D to give you an idea of what it will look like overall.

*** UPDATED INFO (Mar. 06, 2018) ***

Ok guys, I got some samples in of the plaques and they look and feel great. They feel very solid. Just a note, I have re-modeled the plaques after the arrival of these samples so they will be slightly thinner and smaller than the images show. I also removed the corner pins.

Below is all the info you need:

Design Options:

As far as layout is concerned, it's entirely up to you. The designs I have above are simply ideas that I thought most people would want. Since these are being custom made, you can choose to put whatever you want on them. The only restriction I would have is basically the overall size of the plaque; any bigger will obviously result in an increase in price.

Here are some design options to think about:

Raised lettering
This basically means having all the letters on the plaque coming out, so an embossed feel. You'll be able to run your finger over the letters and feel them. I had a small issue with my first sample as the letters were too close to each other so you will notice in the photos that the Polished Grey Steel version has this problem but I have fixed it in the next samples.

Also, I noticed that it's a bit hard to see the lettering this way at certain angles. Even in the car, it's a bit hard to read depending on the light. But up close it looks really nice.

Engraved lettering
This is basically the same as the UK One of 450 version where the letters are sunken into the plaque. My sample is much deeper than the UK one so visibility is actually really good as you'll see in the photos. You won't be able to feel the letters as you run your finger over the plaque. I had a few requests from people for this option and it turned out really nice. I'm not sure which option I like more to be honest.

Ideas of things to add
Here are a few options of things for the plaque:

• VIN number (short, long, whatever)
• Limited Edition, LE, L.E., etc
• Your forum nick or any nickname
• Your real name, initials (however you want this)
• BMW 1 SERIES M COUPÉ, BMW 1M, BMW 1er M COUPÉ
• ###/### (141/220, etc)
• ONE OF 450, ONE OF ###, etc
• Colour Code or name
• Location (UK, USA, CA, etc)

Material:

A robust metal with a rough, pitted surface. This material is 3D printed 420 Stainless Steel infused with bronze, and has a final composition of approximately 60% steel and 40% bronze. The way that bronze infiltrates into the steel can vary, and this changes the color of your product. If there is a higher concentration of Bronze near the surface of the product, it will take on more of Bronze's deep brown color. This has the most noticeable impact on Stainless Steel, but can also affect the shade of other finishes.

This material:

• is dishwasher safe
• is watertight
• not recyclable
• not foodsafe

It is heat resistant to 831ºC / 1528ºF degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties.

Stainless Steel Specifications
Alloy Family: 420 SS+ Bronze (40% bronze)
UTS: 99 KSI (682 MPa)
Yield: 66 KSI (455 MPa)
Modulus: 21.4 MPSI (147 GPa)
Elongation: 2.30%
Hardness: 20-25 HRc

To build steel models, special 3D printers deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder, one layer at a time, until the print is complete. Then they are carefully removed from the printer. At this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile, similar to wet sand. The models then go through an infusion process that replaces the glue with bronze, creating a full metal product. Models are then processed to achieve your desired finish and sprayed with a sealant.

Finishes:

There are 3 choices for finishes:

Polished Nickel Steel:
This is the brightest option as far as the 3 finishes goes. It's much more bright than regular stainless steel. The sample I have has engraved lettering so on this sample it's very easy to read the lettering. I didn't get a chance to mount this version in the car but I can imagine it sticking out a bit from the rest of the look. It might be too bright for some people's tastes. Also, since these are all custom 3D printed, the printing lines are much more visible here but it does add a cool effect. This could be random as the other two samples I have don't show the lines as bad and one of them have the grain going horizontally. So just keep this mind that your sample may be different than someone elses, which actually adds to the uniqueness.

Polished Grey Steel:
This was the first sample I got and it's definitely a lot more vintage/rustic than I thought. However, it looks very very cool. I wouldn't say this one is gun metal exactly, but judging by the sample, I believe that every version would look different because there are spots that are lighter and spots that are darker. I mounted this one in the car and it actually looked really nice. You can judge for yourself, take a look at the mounted pics below.

Matte Black Steel:
This is the darkest of the 3 and the flattest feel. The other two have a lot of shine to them whereas this one doesn't reflect light much, which could be a good thing. Also, it's not very black, it's more gunmetal. So if you're going for more of a stealthy look, this is the one to get. In the sample I got, you will notice tiny lighter dots which are visible but I believe that's from the printing, it's not dust.

Paint it yourself!:
Obviously, if you're not happy with any of the finishes, you're more than welcome to get them painted yourself and make them even more unique. I was thinking it would be really cool to paint the 'M' logo with the M colours or something like that.

Weight:
They vary between 50-55 grams but with double-sided tape (which I'll provide a couple of strips) they hold up very well in the car. I've had mine on the car for a few days now and I see no slumping or anything.

How to apply:
These are designed to be put on the stereo dash right below the CD player where there is a blank spot. Keep in mind that this area curves inwards at the bottom so make sure you stick it on a bit closer to the top. I pretty much eye-balled mine in terms of lining it up in the middle. You can use a ruler if you'd like, up to you. I will put a double sided tape strip on the back when I ship it to you along with a couple of extra ones in case you mess up. Just peel the back part off and stick directly on. You CAN remove the plaque without damaging anything, so just shimmy it left and right and it will come off, just take your time.

Processing time:
This can take anywhere between 4-6 weeks. It's a long process and since each one is custom it's difficult to do many at a time. It's worth the wait, so I would appreciate your patience with it.

Shipping:
These will be shipped to you in a bubble mailer so nothing will happen. I will make sure it's wrapped well! I have no problem shipping anywhere (US, Canada, UK, etc). We can discuss shipping more if you have specific requests.

Price:
Update (03/04/18): $95 US shipped(if you're overseas, email me as it may cost a bit more to get it to you.

How to order:
You can email me at arvinz@live.com your personalized options. Let me know if you want raised or engraved lettering, the copy you want on it, the finish and obviously where to ship to. Once I get your request, I will do up a 3D drawing of your plaque and send you a JPG as a proof to review and make sure everything is correct and to your liking. Once I get your OK, order is put through and I'll update you on it's status as I find out.

Paypal is my preferred method of payment. Please send payments to: arvinz@live.com

Photos
Here are some shots of the pre-production models. Keep in mind these are the initial samples so they will look a bit different than the final models but the color finishes will be the same. Refer to the above two rendered models for final look.

Polished Nickel Steel (Engraved lettering)

Polished Grey Steel (Raised lettering)

Matte Black Steel (Raised lettering)

Size in hand

Polished Nickel Steel

Polished Grey Steel

Matte Black Steel

Mounted • Close-up (Polished Grey Steel)

Mounted • Far (Polished Grey Steel)

Comparison (From top: Polished Nickel Steel, Polished Grey Steel, Matte Black Steel)

Interested:

1. @arvinz
2. ///SharkFin - Ordered
3. @IEDEI
4. @Mdawood - Ordered
5. @wobbles1
6. @Jay-K
7. @TonySCV
8. @Dee Pee
9. @Zuzu
10. Ian///M
11. @Redadair (Interested?)
12. @discoboy1
13. @VMRWheels (Interested?)
14. @Gtrain (Interested?)
15. @Nkc (Interested?)
16. @1MOz
17. @smq42
18. @Ro1M
19. @Harlequin
20. @Papethova
21. 1M Tex
22. 1mian - Ordered
23. css008
24. Gtrain
25. eeghie
26. ZIPNBYE
27. Maxl1M
28. 1swift1 - Ordered
29. Rikx1M
30. LOVEM
31. e82m_van
32. Thumpers1M
33. az1M
34. swimfreak
35. luial
36. rad doc
37. Em/1
38. jaffa12
39. k_o_m
40. Cope
42. Roadsterdoc
43. FIRSTM
44. Luca335
45. Klepper1
46. ///M1
47. LOVEM
48. DooBs - Ordered
49. l888apex

Last edited by arvinz; 08-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: More details.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
///SharkFin
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

I'm interested
It would interest me more if it came in gun metal colour or a black anodized version
Stainless steel might be too bling
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'll look into it for sure

Just keep in mind, if it's gun metal or darker, it will be rather difficult to read since it's all one tone. When 3D printing metal, you can't do different tones so it's all going to be the same look and feel.

Only way you can do two tones is if the plaque is two pieces that fit together but I think that would be a lot more complicated and expensive.

Anyway, I'm seeking out different 3D printers as I work on this to see what material/finish would be best.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i love the idea....i'd be interested!!

BUT a couple of requests?

can we remove "coupe" from the name? Just put "BMW 1M"?

Also can we change the font to something more BMW-like, perhaps?

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i love the idea....i'd be interested!!

BUT a couple of requests?

can we remove "coupe" from the name? Just put "BMW 1M"?

Also can we change the font to something more BMW-like, perhaps?

I can certainly take the Coupé off. Just to note, however, BMW themselves use the Coupé in all marketing of for the car. I can also try using their font:

In English it looks like this:

And in German looks like this:

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

I would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Im in for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i'm interested but with no numbers!
brushed looks good
      08-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I can certainly take the Coupé off. Just to note, however, BMW themselves use the Coupé in all marketing of for the car. I can also try using their font:

In English it looks like this:

And in German looks like this:

you are totally right that BMW generally called it 'Coupe" but they always used "1er" or "1-series" with it as well. Almost all of us refer to the car as the "1M' and it's known best as "1M" too. I was watching a video with Kay Segler talking about the car last week and even he referred to it as "1M". Of course if all of you guys want to use the whole name that's fine! i was just thinking "BMW 1M' would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Yes!

+1 for no "coupe"
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you are totally right that BMW generally called it 'Coupe" but they always used "1er" or "1-series" with it as well. Almost all of us refer to the car as the "1M' and it's known best as "1M" too. I was watching a video with Kay Segler talking about the car last week and even he referred to it as "1M". Of course if all of you guys want to use the whole name that's fine! i was just thinking "BMW 1M' would be fine.
Sounds good! Let me do up another render using BMW's font and just "BMW 1M" and see how it looks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Since there's a few people already who like different versions, I'll update the first post with 3 options so all you'll have to do is say that you want 1, 2 or 3.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'm down
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I am down.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

What are the holes for? Screw holes? These could be attached by double sided tape without drilling holes. Also the width of the badge could be cut down a bit?

If the badge was done in brushed color metal and the raised letters polished?

All just thoughts.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

I m in too!
      08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nice, looks to be solid craftsmanship
      08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
What are the holes for? Screw holes? These could be attached by double sided tape without drilling holes. Also the width of the badge could be cut down a bit?

If the badge was done in brushed color metal and the raised letters polished?

All just thoughts.
They aren't screw holes, just a design element. And yep, I'm anticipating using glue dots or fugitive glue to stick on. Fugitive glue is that booger like glue on the back of your debit or credit card when you first peel it off the mail envelope sent to you.

As for the finish, that's to be determined. I'm trying to nail down 5 different layouts and a 6th custom one for everyone to pick and choose.

I'll look into the brushed + polished but like I said before with 3d printing, you can only print one finish of stainless steel as far as I know. You can do multiple colours with plastic/abs but not metal. You can achieve that with two separate pieces but will be costly.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #19
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

great idea
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #20
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
First post updated with new options layout and renderings. As suggested, I applied the official BMW typeface and offered a short name version. Also since each one is printed individually, it only makes sense to offer customization so whatever you want on it I can do.

Still working on finishes and getting pricing.

Last edited by arvinz; 08-27-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
VERY cool, Arvinz! Great job in designing these!

i love #2. short name, M logo, and XXX/XXX numbering.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #22
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

is there a way to figure out which one of the 220 sold my 1M is?