BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #45
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
For several months, i ran with cowl off but with stock cabin filter still fitted (with 4 bolts instead of 6) which is pretty similar to a BMS cowl filter i guess.

I got a problem (trifecta lights) with my ABS pump/module, which is located to near end driver side, i don't know it's related to running without cowl (probably not).

From my perspective :

Pros :

- Engine, intake suction, turbo spool, much louder
- More room to work on the car, check lines, intake connections, fast removing of engine cover (the best advantage in my opinion)
- Lower oil temperature

Cons :

- Injectors sound also much louder
- Less protection about water (DME - engine - ABS)
- lots of leafs/dirty falling in the engine bay through the windsheild

Some people claims that the cowl has an utility about cooling (like high air pressure at speeds) and that removing it is worst for cooling, but i don't know if it's really the case cause my car runs higher oil temperatures with cowl (and i never do trafic jam). It also seems warmer when opening hood after a ride.

Does one has more informations about this??

Cause I just put back the cowl on, and i immediatly noticed a higher oil temperature at normal speeds.

I will check IAT temperature when i have the time to log to see if it's higher too.
(i have logs of IAT without cowl)
I'm collecting parts to do something I haven't seen yet done, that will hopefully be the best of both worlds.

Basically I am gonna try to do a hybrid BMS cowl filter and M3 cowl setup. The M3 cowl will still free up space and hopefully help with cooling, but still offering protection to the ECU/ABS. Then I will use the BMS cowl filters instead of the M3 filter pieces that have some clearance issues on the E82.

I'm sure I will have to do some tinkering to make it work, but I think i will be a good "in-between". Should be a nice little project for a weekend