BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-26-2024, 08:08 AM   #1
aduguay401@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 1 Series Couple E82

1 Series Coupe E82 Stereo Upgrade Advice Please?

Hello all -

I am a brand new 1 Series Coupe E82 owner (first one) so I'm a bit of a newbie, but technically sound.

I'm learning lots about the stereos in BMW's and it's really interesting. BMW's are very different from other vehicles that's for sure!

Any way, my VIN says that I have the "HiFi System Professional DSP".

I'm looking to upgrade the stereo in the following phases:

Phase 1.Upgrade the EOM amplifier and adding a sub amp & sub.

Phase 2. Upgrade the OEM speaker system.

Phase 3. Updade to aftermarket head unit

1. For my Phase #1 - I'm wondering if anyone can help demystify the EOM amplifier upgrade? FYI - I'm aware of the Bavsound and Bimmer Tech amps, but honestly.. they sem a bit overpriced in my opinion. I'm sure they sound amazing, but there are so many great, used, high-quality amps on Ebay etc..like Alpine - I wanted to at least explore other options.

As I began to research, the only good info I could find about compatible aftermarket amps for my car was on the TechnicsPNP website for the 676 Harness for the 1 Series.

It says:

"This 6ch HiFi (676) harness is used to replace the 6ch OEM amp (front/rear/woofers) with a 6-ch balanced inputs aftermarket amp.

Use “Y” RCA adapters (not included) for multiple balanced-inputs amps. OEM HiFi HU output full range signals.

Example of the direct aftermarket amp replacement for the OEM HiFi amp is the JL Audio XD600/6v2. Alpine PDX, Match, Helix, and Arc Audio amps are balanced-inputs compatible as well.

So, it seems that in order to power all of the OEM speaker system it requires a 6-channel amplifier correct? I believe the HiFi systm in my car would have 2X front door (mid-range), 2X front door tweeters,2 X 6' subs under front seats, and 2 x behind back seat mid range speakers? So 6 channels required?

If anyone has installed an after market amplifier - do you have any recommendations for great amps? I really love the Alpine products (all of my previous stereos where all Alpine) but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has had great experiences with ease of install and excellent sound.

I have attached a few photos of my car.

Let me know what you think guys!

With sincere gratitude -

Adam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0