BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Need Help - Interesting steering vibration trend

EDIT/FIXED !!!!: the Hubcentric rings came in today, after installing them, it solved the issue.

Hey guys,

I need help diagnosing what can possible cause a strange issue. I just redid my suspension with all new of the following:

///M 11 piece control arms (front and back)
Tie rods
sway bar links (front and back)
Bilstein Coilovers
Rotors and Pads

Had 2 bent rims fixed on my rims one moderate - in the back and one minor in the front (done by the best guy in town)

Just got new tires (hankook v12) (w/ balance and alignment )

The issue I'm having is my steering wheel vibrates (minor-moderate) between speeds of 60-90mph, seems to peak at 75 (anything less and no issue and once i pass 90 it slowly tapered off , lol yet that is right, the car runs smoother at 110 than at 75)

Of note, over the years the car did develop a vibration that decreased with the new suspension and wheels being fixed.

If anyone dealt with anything similar, please help a brother out because I am going crazy trying to figure out what can cause it.

Last edited by SayHack; 03-16-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I had a similar vibration (started immediately at 70mph and up). I always attributed it to slightly flat-spotted tires, but it seems like you have the same thing going on with new tires. When you replaced the tie rods, did you do the inner tie rods as well?
      03-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

First guess is wheel balance. Just because it balances on the machine doesn't mean it's perfect on the road.

Failing that, diagnostics. Does it change (intensify or disappear) when you apply the brakes? Were the control arms tightened up with the suspension loaded? Try swapping wheels front-rear - does the vibration move from the steering wheel to the seat? Were the hubs scrupulously clean when you mounted the brake rotors? Wheels torqued to spec?
      03-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

The point about balancing may be a good one. Miatas are famous for having a 60-65mph vibration that goes away with roadforce balancing. I haven't heard of this being an issue across all 1ers but it might be something to look into.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...orce_balancing
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
The point about balancing may be a good one. Miatas are famous for having a 60-65mph vibration that goes away with roadforce balancing. I haven't heard of this being an issue across all 1ers but it might be something to look into.

Interesting, I need to do more research and see which local shop has this machine. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
First guess is wheel balance. Just because it balances on the machine doesn't mean it's perfect on the road.

Failing that, diagnostics. Does it change (intensify or disappear) when you apply the brakes? Were the control arms tightened up with the suspension loaded? Try swapping wheels front-rear - does the vibration move from the steering wheel to the seat? Were the hubs scrupulously clean when you mounted the brake rotors? Wheels torqued to spec?
Regarding wheel balance, here is what happened. After the suspension was done, the vibration decreased a little so i took it to have my front wheels balanced (this is with the old tires with about 40-50 % thread but they were budget tires)....this did not solve anything. SO i got new set of tires at a different place, naturally they balanced all 4 tires followed by alignment....So i am not sure if it is a balance issue.

Breaking makes no difference , so i don't think it is anything brake system related.

The suspension was tightened under a load (i had a jack stand under the hub, lifted to "normal hight", then everything was tightened (The issue that I have is that I didn't use a torque wrench for some bolts due to clearance issues but I don't think they are much off)

My rears are wider, so they won't fit in the front. But i have a family member with a f30, Ill swap their front tires to mine and see how it goes.

the vibration is only felt in the steering wheel

The hubs were "gently cleaned" , maybe that was my mistake ??? Also i placed an order of wheel hub central rings yesterday, maybe that might help ???

Also, the tires were mounted by a impact wrench , I did take the wheel off and torque them back to 85 ft lb

Thank you so much for all the tips. I ll report back if a wheel swap solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I had a similar vibration (started immediately at 70mph and up). I always attributed it to slightly flat-spotted tires, but it seems like you have the same thing going on with new tires. When you replaced the tie rods, did you do the inner tie rods as well?

Yes the inner and outer tie rods were changed, along with a new booth ...everything was clean and well fitted.

Thank you !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHack View Post
Regarding wheel balance, here is what happened. After the suspension was done, the vibration decreased a little so i took it to have my front wheels balanced (this is with the old tires with about 40-50 % thread but they were budget tires)....this did not solve anything. SO i got new set of tires at a different place, naturally they balanced all 4 tires followed by alignment....So i am not sure if it is a balance issue.

Breaking makes no difference , so i don't think it is anything brake system related.

The suspension was tightened under a load (i had a jack stand under the hub, lifted to "normal hight", then everything was tightened (The issue that I have is that I didn't use a torque wrench for some bolts due to clearance issues but I don't think they are much off)

My rears are wider, so they won't fit in the front. But i have a family member with a f30, Ill swap their front tires to mine and see how it goes.

the vibration is only felt in the steering wheel

The hubs were "gently cleaned" , maybe that was my mistake ??? Also i placed an order of wheel hub central rings yesterday, maybe that might help ???

Also, the tires were mounted by a impact wrench , I did take the wheel off and torque them back to 85 ft lb

Thank you so much for all the tips. I ll report back if a wheel swap solves the issue.
What wheels are they? If the centre bore is larger than the hub then that might well be your issue!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
What wheels are they? If the centre bore is larger than the hub then that might well be your issue!
You sir hit the head of the nail flawlessly. I added the hubcentric rings and it runs smooth , took it up to 95 and it was still smooth. They are 19" iForged 2 piece wheels ( they don't make them anymore). It wasn't that it was necessarily loose but rather It took some sanding and some force to place the rings on. They are so tight now on the hub that i am afraid it might be an issue first few times to take them off but overall the wheel sits nice and tight on the hub.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
FIXED !!!!: the Hubcentric rings came in today, after installing them, it solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Glad to hear it is fixed
Use a wirebrush or coarse sandpaper to remove the corrosion, then a lick of antiseize on all surfaces to ensure no problems next time you take the wheels off
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #12
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Glad to hear it is fixed
Use a wirebrush or coarse sandpaper to remove the corrosion, then a lick of antiseize on all surfaces to ensure no problems next time you take the wheels off
Thanks man. Yes I did clean the hub with wire brush , it was already smooth but made it even smoother. Ill take your advice on using anti seize when I take the wheels off.
Appreciate 0