BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #89
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Hello and thank you, my seats were powered and heated, i bought this part 61 12 2 155580. I bought two but when they arrived it was clearly setup with one connection to the fuse panel, one long cable to go to drivers side seat and one short for passenger side(I'm US LHD).

Problem is from there i saw the wiring to the back of the fuse panel and said no way and had local indy shop do the wiring because i knew it would take forever for me to take that on in my old age. I believe they bypassed the stock control module but I'll need to pop the seats up to make sure.

That part number is correct right and the stock control module is bypassed was my understanding but I need to reacquaint myself with it?
      03-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #90
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
Hello and thank you, my seats were powered and heated, i bought this part 61 12 2 155580. I bought two but when they arrived it was clearly setup with one connection to the fuse panel, one long cable to go to drivers side seat and one short for passenger side(I'm US LHD).

Problem is from there i saw the wiring to the back of the fuse panel and said no way and had local indy shop do the wiring because i knew it would take forever for me to take that on in my old age. I believe they bypassed the stock control module but I'll need to pop the seats up to make sure.

That part number is correct right and the stock control module is bypassed was my understanding but I need to reacquaint myself with it?
Those don't look right. These are the part numbers I used.

They are literally the same exact harness as the ones used in your power seats. You can remove them from your power seats, but it's a PITA because some of the wiring is routed behind and through the seat.

Once you get them, you'll notice that your seat only has a couple connectors. The Driver should have the heated connector, and another one for the airbags. The passenger side has the same ones with the addition of the Passenger Occupancy sensor. You'll hook up other wires only and run it through the stock control box. IIRC, you'll only use 3 of the ports in the box since you're no longer using any of the power functions. Once that's done, it should work correctly.

For the 2 parts I listed above, you can be super lazy and just hook them up, but you'll have a jumble of wires. So what I recommend you do is just pull the tape apart until you get the connectors and wires you need. It'll be much cleaner that way. Here's some pics of the only parts you need.

Passenger side. The top big one goes to the seat. The middle medium ones goes to the control box, and the small one on the right is the Passenger Sensor

Driver side. Basically the same as the passenger side minus the Passenger sensor. The top plug goes to the seat, and the bottom one to the control box.
Appreciate 3
ayao627.50
eeghie299.50
      04-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #91
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Max View Post
Some photos of OEM BMW Performance setas - in a mint condition - which I've got right now by my side:
Hey Ricardo Max, I love these seats and hoping to own a set myself some day for my 1M.

I love the alcantara + leather combos in the 1M and I currently have the V2 electronic steering wheel that's covered in alcantara and I am very careful with it to not get it dirty or ruin the alcantara so I wear driving gloves to prevent that.

Do you think making the seat and back area in alcantara is better than having it leather in terms of longevity and keeping it clean? I'm worried that alcantara will get dirtier than leather a lot quicker. With leather, you will probably see it crack over time but alcantara might not, but it might fade or lose its short pile?

Just want your expert opinion on the most optimal setup for leather vs alcantara on the seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #92
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

I actually had couple people contact me through FB and IG regarding Recaro Max. I'll tell everyone the same thing I told them. I highly recommend Recaro_Max! He did my seats over a year ago and then look amazing as ever. He will custom make tailor them exactly how you want them, and he's extremely communicative. I opted for the BMW Performance look with a couple minor changes. My airbags are fully operational, as well as the heated seats, which work through the OEM controls. Here's a pic of them that I took the other day. Sorry for the dust
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      04-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #93
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
I actually had couple people contact me through FB and IG regarding Recaro Max. I'll tell everyone the same thing I told them. I highly recommend Recaro_Max! He did my seats over a year ago and then look amazing as ever. He will custom make tailor them exactly how you want them, and he's extremely communicative. I opted for the BMW Performance look with a couple minor changes. My airbags are fully operational, as well as the heated seats, which work through the OEM controls. Here's a pic of them that I took the other day. Sorry for the dust
Looks great! Where is he located? Can you still access the rear seats? Is ingress and egress changed to the backseats? I take my kids in the car from time to time. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:46 AM   #94
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Looks great! Where is he located? Can you still access the rear seats? Is ingress and egress changed to the backseats? I take my kids in the car from time to time. Thanks!
seis-speed, Recaro-Max i believe is still located in Poland. IIRC, shipping only took about 1 week to the US via FedEx.

You can still access the back seats. There is a lever behind the seat belt pass through. When you pull it, it allows the back portion of the seat to tilt forward. However, the seat will not slide forward. I believe the OEM BMW Performance seats will slide forward as well when you pull that latch. No real change that I can recall. The seat backs are a little thinner, so there might be a little more room (However, the OEM power seats do have the button that allows you to slide the seats forward and back.)
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
JP-1M171.00
      04-30-2019, 03:52 AM   #95
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post

Do you think making the seat and back area in alcantara is better than having it leather in terms of longevity and keeping it clean? I'm worried that alcantara will get dirtier than leather a lot quicker. With leather, you will probably see it crack over time but alcantara might not, but it might fade or lose its short pile?
arvinz, I haven't had any problems with the Alcantara. I usually use a horse brush to get the dust off and then vacuum in the crevices. That's all the maintenance I've been doing. My understanding is that
you can run a slightly damp cloth over it to wipe it down, but I've never done that. I think the seat is slightly more protected from oils (versus your steering wheel) and don't pick up dirt as much. The picture I posted above is with the seats being over a year old. And maybe a little over 5k miles driven on it. I've only dusted and vacuumed it. I've never actually wiped it down, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #96
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
seis-speed, Recaro-Max i believe is still located in Poland. IIRC, shipping only took about 1 week to the US via FedEx.

You can still access the back seats. There is a lever behind the seat belt pass through. When you pull it, it allows the back portion of the seat to tilt forward.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0