BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Stock Sport Suspension Parts Needed

So I'm really just trying to determine all the parts needed to replace the stock sport struts and shocks ONLY the whole way around the car. Obviously, I know which struts and shocks to purchase but it's all the new hardware that goes with them that is starting to get confusing. Not one website out there is very clear as to what other pieces are needed so I've turned to this forum to obtain a complete list. I see no need to purchase new springs so we can forget about them but what else? Any help, as usual, would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Here's a post (courtesy of @1and1) that details the bits and pieces you need to refresh your suspension.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24155808

Note that there are other parts listed here as well from Dinan, Koni, and Eibach.
      03-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How many miles on your car? Front strut bearing "hats" usually last a long time. But they are cheap on the aftermarket, so you might want to replace them.

The rear shock mounts take a beating. Dinan sells a nice rear shock kit with all the correct parts. The lower rubber shock mount might also need to be replaced. The front shock/strut bolt should be replace along with it's nut. Same for the upper and lower shock nuts - IF your shocks do not come with new self locking nuts.

The rear suspension links might be worn out. The upper toe link is a weak point. Also the rear toe arm tends to get wasted with miles.

Springs can also break at the lower coils. You might want to lower your car mildly - since you are right there.

You could also order the 1M front strut bar - to reinforce the top of the front suspension.

Dinan also sells camber plates that mount onto the front upper shock strut bearing for .75 neg camber.

You might also want to read this great write up from TC Kline..

The Ultimate Handling Machine
TC Kline’s suspension tuning transforms the entry-level 128i Coupe into a car that can rival the 1 Series M Coupe for pure driving fun
http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...1#.WGRrCfkrLIU

Dack
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
How many miles on your car? Front strut bearing "hats" usually last a long time. But they are cheap on the aftermarket, so you might want to replace them.

The rear shock mounts take a beating. Dinan sells a nice rear shock kit with all the correct parts. The lower rubber shock mount might also need to be replaced. The front shock/strut bolt should be replace along with it's nut. Same for the upper and lower shock nuts - IF your shocks do not come with new self locking nuts.

The rear suspension links might be worn out. The upper toe link is a weak point. Also the rear toe arm tends to get wasted with miles.

Springs can also break at the lower coils. You might want to lower your car mildly - since you are right there.

You could also order the 1M front strut bar - to reinforce the top of the front suspension.

Dinan also sells camber plates that mount onto the front upper shock strut bearing for .75 neg camber.

You might also want to read this great write up from TC Kline..

The Ultimate Handling Machine
TC Kline’s suspension tuning transforms the entry-level 128i Coupe into a car that can rival the 1 Series M Coupe for pure driving fun
http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/101...1#.WGRrCfkrLIU

Dack
So here's the deal. I have a 2010 128i and it is rocking 167,000 miles now. 100,000 of those are mine and I've done every bit of preventative maintenance on it that exists...it's still quite flawless other than some dirt a lot of the time. I'm going to drive the car until it gives me some kind of major issue but at the same time, I'm not trying to put a ton of money into it. I'm a firm believer that it's quite dumb to invest more than a car's worth to repair. With that being said, and I know this is probably NOT something many of you would recommend due to loss in drive quality, but are the standard suspension ready struts (a good quality set, nothing cheap and chincy) compatible with the car as it is? Other than normal replacement items like new bump stops and screws and whatnot, can these just be put in and work like they would for the 128's with standard suspension? Or are there different mounting locations on the standard suspension struts and shocks that wouldn't allow them to fit on a sport suspension vehicle. Basically, other than not being as stiff and low, can the current sport struts and shocks be swapped with standard suspension ready struts and shocks without any kind of an issue along the way?

And for the record, I'd never consider going with standard suspension parts if the stock springs for the sport suspension weren't ONLY AVAILABLE in Genuine BMW form at $200+ each, which is completely ridiculous (trust me, I've looked everywhere and so has about 10 different shops I've gotten quotes with)...I realize aftermarket is an option but it isn't without lowering the car and I really don't want that....so here we are.

Last edited by jcoop269; 03-21-2019 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Mounting points are the same for sport and non-sport.

I've seen people post queries about ready made struts but not seen any reviews on them. My gut is they will be a disappointment vs 'better' parts. If your springs are ok you can get got oe quality struts and rear shocks like Bilstein B4 for reasonable money. All the mounting hardware is discussed in this thread and if you shop around it won't be too expensive either.

Springs being ok is maybe a problem for you since you live in a place where road salt is used. My experience in a place without salt is springs last nearly forever.

So take a look at your springs for signs of rust / weakness then shop around would be my approach.

Another big consideration is are you going to diy or pay someone to do the work. Putting together strut assemblies can be dangerous.
      03-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Mounting points are the same for sport and non-sport.

I've seen people post queries about ready made struts but not seen any reviews on them. My gut is they will be a disappointment vs 'better' parts. If your springs are ok you can get got oe quality struts and rear shocks like Bilstein B4 for reasonable money. All the mounting hardware is discussed in this thread and if you shop around it won't be too expensive either.

Springs being ok is maybe a problem for you since you live in a place where road salt is used. My experience in a place without salt is springs last nearly forever.

So take a look at your springs for signs of rust / weakness then shop around would be my approach.

Another big consideration is are you going to diy or pay someone to do the work. Putting together strut assemblies can be dangerous.
Thank you for that info, that's good to know on the mounting points! As far as the springs go, I DID want to re-use them as the way I see it, even with rust, how bad could they actually be...but still, obviously I'd prefer new springs if they were available for sport and didn't have to be genuine BMW. I mean the B4's for sport are EVERYWHERE for great prices so it's very disappointing the springs couldn't be handled the same way.

As far as the DIY situation, if I did go with the ready struts, I would because that makes the job incredibly easy but I have quotes at a few shops that are reasonable even for assembling the struts along with the install so not sure yet. I guess it really depends on what parts I decide to go with.

Last edited by jcoop269; 03-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop269 View Post
Thank you for that info, that's good to know on the mounting points! As far as the springs go, I DID want to re-use them as the way I see it, even with rust, how bad could they actually be...but still, obviously I'd prefer new springs if they were available for sport and didn't have to be genuine BMW. I mean the B4's for sport are EVERYWHERE for great prices so it's very disappointing the springs couldn't be handled the same way.

As far as the DIY situation, if I did go with the ready struts, I would because that makes the job incredibly easy but I have quotes at a few shops that are reasonable even for assembling the struts along with the install so not sure yet. I guess it really depends on what parts I decide to go with.
For springs look for used ones on here. When people go to something aftermarket they will sell their oe springs pretty cheaply. Just be aware that dampers are often different for oe non-sport vs oe sport. Bilstein B4's for example.
      03-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For springs look for used ones on here. When people go to something aftermarket they will sell their oe springs pretty cheaply. Just be aware that dampers are often different for oe non-sport vs oe sport. Bilstein B4's for example.
Good thought on the sales on here...and definitely, I can't tell you how many sites don't specify too on the struts/shocks....enough to drive ya crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good thought on the sales on here...and definitely, I can't tell you how many sites don't specify too on the struts/shocks....enough to drive ya crazy.
Last question since these are literally available right now for an excellent price (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...+coil+springs) ----wouldthe 135's sport suspension springs work out?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Last question since these are literally available right now for an excellent price (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...+coil+springs) ----wouldthe 135's sport suspension springs work out?
Yes. I put those exact springs - D6 and L3 - on my car for my first suspension re-do and was happy with them.

Depending on how your car is equipped, you won't get much drop but they will be stiffer. I'm assuming you have non-sport springs now.
      03-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. I put those exact springs - D6 and L3 - on my car for my first suspension re-do and was happy with them.

Depending on how your car is equipped, you won't get much drop but they will be stiffer. I'm assuming you have non-sport springs now.
No, I have the sport suspension currently so definite sport springs. I loved it when I bought the car 6 years ago but it has certainly since degraded.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #12
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, I have the sport suspension currently so definite sport springs. I loved it when I bought the car 6 years ago but it has certainly since degraded.
It will be a huge improvement when you refresh. You might want to see what spring codes you have on your car now to compare to the D6, L3 's. If they are for example D5 and L2 you will get a good bit of ride height increase b/c of refreshed parts and stiffer springs. That my be good or bad depending on your preference.
      03-21-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a set of m sport springs and shocks removed from my 2013 135is coupe at 18k miles for sale if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn.Nguyen View Post
I have a set of m sport springs and shocks removed from my 2013 135is coupe at 18k miles for sale if you're interested.
Without a doubt… Depending on price of course
I am very interested of course....depending on price that is. The ones listed are asking $40. Yours are obviously newer but I still can't get too crazy nor would I for stock springs. I work for Fedex so can shoot you a label for shipping as needed....I get a huge discount.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #15
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Here's a post (courtesy of @1and1) that details the bits and pieces you need to refresh your suspension.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24155808

Note that there are other parts listed here as well from Dinan, Koni, and Eibach.
Really appreciate the link to that post! The problem I'm having now is trying to figure out what I still need since I was able to buy fully assembled sport suspension struts and shocks from someone on here that were taken off his 135is at 18,000 miles. As far as I can tell on realoem.com, every part needed is part of the assembly but are there any nuts or bolts I still need to buy? Also, how are the rears assembled? Is it like the front or do they remain apart from the springs until they are put on the car? And if that is the case and they are apart from the springs until you put them on the car, do I need the rear bump stops and mounts and whatnot? It's very difficult to determine exactly what's needed as I haven't received the parts and won't until Friday with an appt. for the work on Monday. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to buy things I don't need.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Rear is very different. You can change out springs and shocks separately. If the mounting hardware really only has 18,000 miles it should be good. However, on the front if any doubt when inspecting the strut assembly I'd change out parts. Only because it is a bit of a chore to pull the struts out to disassemble them.

The parts that wear on the front that make the most difference are the strut mounts and bump stops. On the rear it's the bump stops. As to the bump stops you should be able to see if they are degraded.

BMW recommends every nut and bolt be renewed on about anything on the car. There is a wide divergence of opinion and practice on that. I tend to lean towards replace, especially if it's something hard to get to.
      03-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #17
smi2710
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

i have a set of sport springs if in interested in NJ
Appreciate 0