BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
135i_Vert
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

What's the best Exhaust and Downpipe combo!?

I'm in the market for an exhaust for the n55 and I was going to pull the trigger on the berk full race, however I heard most of the power comes from the downpipes...

Is a downpipe really worth it? I need help on better understanding about the downpipe and exhaust system.

Was just wondering what's the best combo!? Should I just do downpipes and leave the exhaust stock for now!? Any suggestions will help, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubtm85 View Post
I'm in the market for an exhaust for the n55 and I was going to pull the trigger on the berk full race, however I heard most of the power comes from the downpipes...

Is a downpipe really worth it? I need help on better understanding about the downpipe and exhaust system.

Was just wondering what's the best combo!? Should I just do downpipes and leave the exhaust stock for now!? Any suggestions will help, thanks guys.
Almost ALL of the power gains come from the downpipe(s). Any modification to the exhaust is done for aural purposes only, which is why most people merely opt for the axle-back systems. The N55 doesn't have secondary cats so doing a full system won't really net you any power increase, unlike the N54 which DOES have restrictive cats in the mid-pipes. Personally (and most will agree), I think the BMW Performance exhaust is the best sounding for these cars, with the Berk systems being a close second.

Definitely do a downpipe upgrade if you're looking for more power and make sure you get the tune to accommodate it (MHD is the best and the easiest). You'll be amazed at how much power you can pick up for such little money just by doing that. You can decide between a catted downpipe or catless. There isn't much point in replacing it with a catted downpipe because they aren't much less restrictive than the standard piece and the gains are small. A catless downpipe will give you the power you are looking for.

Along with the power, it will also make the car a bit louder and have noticeably more turbo noise. So do the downpipe first and see if you like the sound with the downpipe/stock exhaust combo. If you're still looking for more volume and/or a more aggressive note, THEN do the axle-back.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
Almost ALL of the power gains come from the downpipe(s). Any modification to the exhaust is done for aural purposes only, which is why most people merely opt for the axle-back systems. The N55 doesn't have secondary cats so doing a full system won't really net you any power increase, unlike the N54 which DOES have restrictive cats in the mid-pipes. Personally (and most will agree), I think the BMW Performance exhaust is the best sounding for these cars, with the Berk systems being a close second.

Definitely do a downpipe upgrade if you're looking for more power and make sure you get the tune to accommodate it (MHD is the best and the easiest). You'll be amazed at how much power you can pick up for such little money just by doing that. You can decide between a catted downpipe or catless. There isn't much point in replacing it with a catted downpipe because they aren't much less restrictive than the standard piece and the gains are small. A catless downpipe will give you the power you are looking for.

Along with the power, it will also make the car a bit louder and have noticeably more turbo noise. So do the downpipe first and see if you like the sound with the downpipe/stock exhaust combo. If you're still looking for more volume and/or a more aggressive note, THEN do the axle-back.

Thank you for your time and the info, it's very helpful!!!!... So if I decide to do the catless downpipes and a tune with a axel back exhaust, what am I looking at when it comes to passing an inspection? I live in TX which has laided back emission laws as far as other states go... But I know without cats they won't pass. And I wouldn't want to put everything back to stock once a year to pass.

Also, how safe is it to run a tune? I have a 4 year warranty and already told myself I can't go 4 years without mods lol I've already thrown a wheel and tire package on with other cosmetics.. so I know (knock on wood) if anything were to happen I would have to bring everything back to stock so warranty would fix it, however I don't want to do things that will up those chances of messing up my engine.

And I'm sure with everything else, it's mainly preference. But which downpipe is the best in your opinion!?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

OP...I'll start by saying there are many exhaust options for the 135i. YouTube is a great place to do some research on the different exhausts being offered.

From an exhaust perspective I think you have to think about if this car is your daily driver, how loud is too loud. I agree with the other member who said that you might want to first start with a downpipe (DP) and then go from there. I know there are many DP options, I'm currently running the Wagner Catted DP as I was hoping it wouldn't throw a CEL. I'm happy w the sound less happy about it throwing a CEL every few weeks (I Clear cell through P3 gauge).

In terms of exhaust, the BMW PE is nice, but I would suggest you first look into the DIY "golf tee mod" as it would provide an Nice enhancement in exhaust sound.(you tube this)

In addition to the DP and exhaust, if your looking for a tune that isn't in conflict with the BMW warranty you may want to look at DINAN. Especially since DINAN is running a sale (50% off tunes on E series cars). This is a good option. I'm running their stage 3 tune and am at 377hp and 435tqe.

I've included a video of my car w the Wagner DP & Berks tech race exhaust and Dinan s3. I hope this was helpful. Welcome and good luck with your car.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

My favorite combo is VRSF catless downpipe + AA Gen II Exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
OP...I'll start by saying there are many exhaust options for the 135i. YouTube is a great place to do some research on the different exhausts being offered.

From an exhaust perspective I think you have to think about if this car is your daily driver, how loud is too loud. I agree with the other member who said that you might want to first start with a downpipe (DP) and then go from there. I know there are many DP options, I'm currently running the Wagner Catted DP as I was hoping it wouldn't throw a CEL. I'm happy w the sound less happy about it throwing a CEL every few weeks (I Clear cell through P3 gauge).

In terms of exhaust, the BMW PE is nice, but I would suggest you first look into the DIY "golf tee mod" as it would provide an Nice enhancement in exhaust sound.(you tube this)

In addition to the DP and exhaust, if your looking for a tune that isn't in conflict with the BMW warranty you may want to look at DINAN. Especially since DINAN is running a sale (50% off tunes on E series cars). This is a good option. I'm running their stage 3 tune and am at 377hp and 435tqe.

I've included a video of my car w the Wagner DP & Berks tech race exhaust and Dinan s3. I hope this was helpful. Welcome and good luck with your car.

Thanks for the response brother... I have the berk axle back race exhaust in the cart about to order as we speak lol my question is do you have the berk full race (downpipe back) or axel back exhaust!?

And I havent heard of that tune I'll have to look into that ... I think I'm going to just do the axle back race exhaust for now and then get the downpipe and a tune later.

Another question is do you have to do other mods to support the extra horse power and torque form the tune and downpipe? Such as charge pipe, bigger intercooler, intake, ect...???

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the response brother... I have the berk axle back race exhaust in the cart about to order as we speak lol my question is do you have the berk full race (downpipe back) or axel back exhaust!?

And I havent heard of that tune I'll have to look into that ... I think I'm going to just do the axle back race exhaust for now and then get the downpipe and a tune later.

Another question is do you have to do other mods to support the extra horse power and torque form the tune and downpipe? Such as charge pipe, bigger intercooler, intake, ect...???

Thanks
DINAN is a long time BMW Tuner with a strong R&D focus. I'm running the Wagner catted DP and the BMW PE mid pipes (post DP) and the Berk race exhaust from the axle back.

I'm also running the Dinan Intercooler & upgraded oil cooler to support the stage 3 sw. Stage 2 doesn't usually require any additional HW beyond what comes stock on the BMW 135i (sport or M sport) cars.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
DINAN is a long time BMW Tuner with a strong R&D focus. I'm running the Wagner catted DP and the BMW PE mid pipes (post DP) and the Berk race exhaust from the axle back.

I'm also running the Dinan Intercooler & upgraded oil cooler to support the stage 3 sw. Stage 2 doesn't usually require any additional HW beyond what comes stock on the BMW 135i (sport or M sport) cars.
Awesome thank you! And yeah I did my research they seem like the best when it comes to BMW's! I definitely think I'm going to use them for my tune. How long do you think the sale is going to last for? And how do you go about ordering one? Is it just a plug and play or do you have to go to one of the dealers and have then install it? Their website is kind of tricky and no one answered their phone...

I really appreciate you for filling me in after this I shouldn't have too many more questions haha I'm just new to the bmw world.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Awesome thank you! And yeah I did my research they seem like the best when it comes to BMW's! I definitely think I'm going to use them for my tune. How long do you think the sale is going to last for? And how do you go about ordering one? Is it just a plug and play or do you have to go to one of the dealers and have then install it? Their website is kind of tricky and no one answered their phone...

I really appreciate you for filling me in after this I shouldn't have too many more questions haha I'm just new to the bmw world.
I think the sale is through the end of February. It has to be installed by a DINAN approved dealer or BMW indie shop. Install takes about an hour or so. I would reach out to Dinan and ask which dealer they recommend in your area.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

VRSF + Corsa is pretty good. The dp won't matter in terms of sound unless you compare catless VS catted. Most popualar is VRSF though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #11
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

it depends on how loud you want it to be and if you are okay with drone at low RPMs. personally, I think a downpipe with stock muffler and a secondary cat delete is perfect for a daily driver. no drone at low RPM, but very loud and sounds amazing when you step on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

I'm faced with the same battle as you. I have a VRSF 3" cat-less down pipe waiting to go, hope to throw it in over the next few weeks. Following that, I'll see how the sound levels are and go from there on the axle back. I am leaning towards the Berk Street (black ceramic) for the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

CPE downpipe

For down pipes: CPE N55 QKspl™ 5″ Cast Stainless Downpipe
http://cp-e.com/webstore2/product/bm...less-downpipe/

Have a look at the construction and design inside before you choose.

You may want to consider a down pipe with a high flow cat if you enjoy driving with your windows or top down.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited by turbo v6; 02-27-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo v6 View Post
You may want to consider a down pipe with a high flow cat if you enjoy driving with your windows or top down.

Just my 2cents.
Do you say that because of the smell or the extra noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Corsa does sound pretty epic IMO.

Tried a few setups myself, favorite is the 3" catless DP/stock mid/MadDad Whisper axleback. Gonna cut the resonator out of the stock mids sometime soon, find myself wanting just a little more growl lately.
      03-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I love my BMS N55 catless downpipe, resonator delete, and remus quad exhaust combo!!

So essentially straight pipe to one muffler. Cold start is loud, but everything else is COP friendly, unless you floor it! sounds amazing IMO

Skip to 40 seconds for revving

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24ert View Post
I love my BMS N55 catless downpipe, resonator delete, and remus quad exhaust combo!!

So essentially straight pipe to one muffler. Cold start is loud, but everything else is COP friendly, unless you floor it! sounds amazing IMO

Skip to 40 seconds for revving

Awesome sounds amazing! I like the setup and thanks fro the input.
might be a noob question but can you delete the resonators on the stock n55 mids?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^ Thanks!

The N55 stock, comes with catted downpipe, midpipes (no secondary cats like the n54), resonator, to a muffler..
N55 mids are straight pipes, with a y pipe going to a resonator. I had the bmw m performance exhaust which came with a y pipe to delete the resonator and the m muffler.

So yes you can delete the resonator, however it is after the midpipes and before the muffler/tips

Best option for power and sound, would be kittyless downpipe and a resonator delete, and keep stock factory valved muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
135i_Vert
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob24ert View Post
^ Thanks!

The N55 stock, comes with catted downpipe, midpipes (no secondary cats like the n54), resonator, to a muffler..
N55 mids are straight pipes, with a y pipe going to a resonator. I had the bmw m performance exhaust which came with a y pipe to delete the resonator and the m muffler.

So yes you can delete the resonator, however it is after the midpipes and before the muffler/tips

Best option for power and sound, would be kittyless downpipe and a resonator delete, and keep stock factory valved muffler.
Say i just bought a berk race axle back exhaust... does that have the resonator? basically what im asking is if the axle back exhaust deletes the resonator?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

the Axle back connects right after the resonator. So you still have your stock resonator
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #21
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
Do you say that because of the smell or the extra noise?
SMELL. With top down and even windows. I dislike it. Also consider other drivers and people walking around.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #22
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_Vert View Post
Thank you for your time and the info, it's very helpful!!!!... So if I decide to do the catless downpipes and a tune with a axel back exhaust, what am I looking at when it comes to passing an inspection? I live in TX which has laided back emission laws as far as other states go... But I know without cats they won't pass. And I wouldn't want to put everything back to stock once a year to pass.

Also, how safe is it to run a tune? I have a 4 year warranty and already told myself I can't go 4 years without mods lol I've already thrown a wheel and tire package on with other cosmetics.. so I know (knock on wood) if anything were to happen I would have to bring everything back to stock so warranty would fix it, however I don't want to do things that will up those chances of messing up my engine.

And I'm sure with everything else, it's mainly preference. But which downpipe is the best in your opinion!?

Thanks again
I also live in Texas and I think I met you at the TJ Maxx meet one night. If you do go with catless downpipes see if any of the under body paneling shows the exhaust. If it doenst no tech will take off the paneling just to see if there are cats. You could also just keep your stock exhaust and go catless and since it wont be extreamly loud they shouldnt be suspicious.
Appreciate 0