BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
jtp1983
Rep
Drives: 15 M235 Convertible 6MT

Successful single din carplay install with AX-BM90122

First post - I thought it was time to chime in after reading for quite some time. I have seen a few posts mentioning the Axxess AX-BM90122, but I haven't seen any installs with it. So, I decided to have a go at it - and the good news is, everything works! Let's start with the components:

Axxess AX-BM90122 - $336.92 from CarID: https://www.carid.com/axxess/radio-r...x-bm90122.html

Metra single DIN for 1 series - $20: https://www.carid.com/metra/single-d...gleid=38832898

Antenna adapter - $19: https://www.carid.com/metra/aftermar...n-40-eu10.html

I went with the new Pioneer single DIN carplay unit, available on amazon - $437.50: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-3.../dp/B071X596WM

And here is a pictures of the final install:

So yes - it works. Here are my notes:
  • MOST ring is kept intact - zero issues I've seen so far related to that.
  • Steering wheel controls work, but you need to program yourself. The ASWC-1 unit that comes with this harness is prewired, so you only need to worry about the programming. recirc, PTT, and phone buttons are not mappable, as expected. Only vol up/down, track up/down, and source. Dual functions are supported by long press, though on BMW's this can only be done via the windows firmware updater software from Axxess which also allows you to read/write configs. I will be dual functioning mine this weekend.
  • This harness is quite big with all the boxes needed. I presoldered everything on a workbench and it was still unwieldy - though admittedly mine was a little harder still because i added a backup camera and hardwired a usb plug for my dashcam at the same time.
  • one gripe about the harness. It is made SPECIFICALLY for BMW. Why they though to include only a 6 foot battery lead when the battery is all the way back in the trunk, I'll never know. Be prepared to extend that line.
  • The headunit looks surprisingly good. Sure it isnt stock, but for a flip screen unit, its great. bluetooth works great (which i didnt have prior in my 09)
  • If you go this route, don't even think about double DIN unless you want to do some cutting. Those boxes on the harness just about fit behind the HVAC controls.
  • the Metra single DIN mount doesn't account for a clip at the top of the opening. I had to cut some of the plastic frame out, but no issues after doing so, and nothing visible after installing. Worth noting that the frame feels very flimsy when installing, and only has two screws at the bottom, so it wobbles a bit. But after pushing the trim back in for the HVAC, it forces that up into place and it is help in place tightly with all the trim back in (including the top dash trim). No wiggle.

Here is a pic for reference of how much of a jungle this becomes with that big ass harness:
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Do you have any issues with it covering the vents?
Appreciate 0