BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #23
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I like my 1er, a lot, but if it were to get totaled, I'd be in the market for something new, don't like to buy used. [...]

If I were to get a new BMW, it would be at least an M240i, but I think I'd rather have an M2. [...]

Would rather just keep my 135i. Have had it for a long time now and it feels just right to me. Let's see if I can keep up my good luck and stay out of any serious accidents. Been more than 27 years so far. *keeping my fingers crossed*
I like the way this thread is veering off-topic, since the picture above looks like a Honda Civic, Merc A class or a Yaris (ie. yuck)

Ever since I got my 1er and it cost me 5x as much as I expected to keep it on the road each year, and depreciated over the past two years by an equally astonishing amount - I've thought about what I'd get if I totalled it... and I still don't know. If I were at a stage of life where I could own a 2-seater, my options would be endless, but small, fast, comfortable car with 4 seats, and preferably no roof... There's practically nothing in the same class.

I constantly regret not buying a supercharged E46 M3 instead of my N54, and would swap my car with that one in a heartbeat today if it were still available - but with the following that the N54 is getting today, and the development that this platform is _still_ getting 10 years after release - I feel that selling a N54 now would be like selling a Honda S2000 ten years ago.

The 1er is like a little niche car that the mainstream write off as "the cheapest of the BMW's" .. and the new models only support that stereotype... but I think in 10 years time, these will be looked at the same way we now look at a S2000, an E46 M3, or a R32 GTR.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because I own one.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:07 AM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I like the way this thread is veering off-topic, [...]

The 1er is like a little niche car that the mainstream write off as "the cheapest of the BMW's" .. [...]

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic because I own one.
That's it right there. You've got to own one to really appreciate it.

And most threads tend to wander a little. Some more than others. It's what makes them fun and interesting. As you have also demonstrated. lol

As long as we're talking about the 1er, we're good imo.
      08-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #25
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

While we're drifting off topic...

I came late to the party, but I benefited from hindsight. I picked up my '09 128i last month to replace the BB6 Prelude I've had for almost 22 years. I plan to keep this car about that long also. I have an '09 Bullitt Mustang that I'll probably keep 'till I'm dead. I bought them used with the hindsight to see that both were special. While not faultless, the Bullitt is one of the last analog muscle cars. I got the 128i because the N52 is the last good N/A engine we're likely to see from BMW and it's just plain fun to drive.

While looking at new cars, almost nothing interested me. I was basically left with the BRZ, STI, or Civic Type R, all of which are considerably more than what I paid for my 128i. I have zero interest in the new 1 series. Why pay for a marque that no longer adheres to the recipe that made it special? I'm sure it will be reasonably quick, but completely soulless. The E82 was the last of its kind. It's quirky, it's plucky, and I wouldn't trade it for nearly any other car. 20 years from now, people will be talking about the E82 like they do the E30 now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #26
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Wish BMW would listen to all of us long time fans that have that feeling. That one sentences says it perfectly. But what else is there.... everyone is going down the same path.

Cars that I have considered but havent driven.

Jag Type F - Jaq reliability and horrible dealer network
Alfa Q Guilia - Worse than Jaq reliability and super horrible dealer network
Lexus RCF - Looks cool but doubt it can match overall performance of BMW

Wife is now hooked on BMWs, and her team in Germany thinks shes pretty cool since we have 5 of them. Though she would take a Range Rover, of course thats a bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Why pay for a marque that no longer adheres to the recipe that made it special?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
While we're drifting off topic...

I came late to the party, but I benefited from hindsight. I picked up my '09 128i last month to replace the BB6 Prelude I've had for almost 22 years. I plan to keep this car about that long also. I have an '09 Bullitt Mustang that I'll probably keep 'till I'm dead. I bought them used with the hindsight to see that both were special. While not faultless, the Bullitt is one of the last analog muscle cars. I got the 128i because the N52 is the last good N/A engine we're likely to see from BMW and it's just plain fun to drive.

While looking at new cars, almost nothing interested me. I was basically left with the BRZ, STI, or Civic Type R, all of which are considerably more than what I paid for my 128i. I have zero interest in the new 1 series. Why pay for a marque that no longer adheres to the recipe that made it special? I'm sure it will be reasonably quick, but completely soulless. The E82 was the last of its kind. It's quirky, it's plucky, and I wouldn't trade it for nearly any other car. 20 years from now, people will be talking about the E82 like they do the E30 now.
Since we're drifting a little and you brought up your Mustang...

I had an '06 Mustang GT 5MT. Similar to your '09 Bullitt. Mine was supercharged and made 475 hp. Loved that car. Always liked Mustangs. The original pony car. (hooked on my 1er, though)

Here's a review of the new 2019 Mustang Bullitt. For anybody interested (nice car imo):

Edit: modern car crap rears it's ugly head though with some car sounds pumped in through the speakers, and active rev matching on the 6-speed manual. In a Mustang? lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Esteban; 08-08-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Well, FWD based AWD would make a decent winter car. Maybe get one cheap on "Drive your Brand".
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Well, FWD based AWD would make a decent winter car. Maybe get one cheap on "Drive your Brand".
Appreciate 0