BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
OneWhite35
Private
Rep
Drives: White 135i N55 DCT

Failed Footwell Module (FRM) after battery boost - procedure to install battery?

Hi everyone,

The battery in my 2012 135i is on it's way out. Earlier in the week, I had to hook up jumper cables to the car to get it to start. After the car started, a bunch of things stopped working: window controls, headlight controls, turn signals, DRLs. All symptoms lead toward a failed footwell module (FRM). I called the dealership and luckily they will be replacing the FRM under an extended warranty from BMW NA. Anyone else have a similar experience?

After I get my car back, the battery will still need to be replaced. I've read about a couple instances where the FRM failed when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. Are there any precautions (e.g., letting the car fully sleep before disconnecting) I can take to avoid dealing with FRM issues again in the future?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
I had the foot well module fail last year and got it also replaced under warranty.

had no problem since.

I don't know about the battery though.
they are replacing the fwm with a newer spec model if I am not mistaken so you may be ok.

In any case, if it fails you are still covered by warranty I assume.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Booey1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i m-sport BBK 2piece

Shit this just happened. I’ve been parking my car for long periods because I wanna sell it. The battery died after 2 weeks. Anyways I jump the car and the fmr symptoms appeared. It’s failed. Damn... so here I am looking for a solution. Any updates with you man. I’m honestly scared my battery will kill my car. Ugh
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booey1979 View Post
Shit this just happened. I’ve been parking my car for long periods because I wanna sell it. The battery died after 2 weeks. Anyways I jump the car and the fmr symptoms appeared. It’s failed. Damn... so here I am looking for a solution. Any updates with you man. I’m honestly scared my battery will kill my car. Ugh
I just received a letter that says the Footwell Module is covered under warranty for 10 years an 156K miles Check with your dealer, you may be covered too.
      08-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
OneWhite35
Private
Rep

After I dropped off my car at the dealership, they ran their diagnostics and confirmed no communication present with the FRM with a short test. They replaced the module under warranty and had to re-program the vehicle. Took one whole day - replacing the physical module is quick, but the coding can take longer.

Call your local dealership, ask for a service advisor that is knowledgable about these cars and knows about the extended warranty on the FRM, and get it replaced. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I just received a letter that says the Footwell Module is covered under warranty for 10 years an 156K miles Check with your dealer, you may be covered too.
Dang. They just won't cover anything on my car.
      08-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
OneWhite35
Private
Rep

One more thing to add - as I mentioned in my original post, my battery needed to be replaced too. I've read some horror stories where the FRM failed after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, so I expressed concerns to the dealership that there may be a risk that the FRM will fail again when I replace my battery. After they had diagnosed the issue as the FRM and confirmed that they will replace it under warranty, I called to ask if I can go to the dealership to replace my battery before they replace the FRM. They said I could, but the tech had already disassembled my car and I could not do it on the dealership premises. Long story short, the service manager said they would just do the battery replacement process for me in case anything goes wrong. My new battery was in the trunk at the time and they replaced + registered my new battery for free along with the FRM replacement.

I would say replace your battery first and register before taking it into the dealership.

Last edited by OneWhite35; 08-22-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #8
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhire View Post
The Footwell Module is covered under warranty for 10 years and 156,600 miles, according to a letter I received today. Whether you're not sure if you're protected, ask your car dealer.
Not in Canada.
That’s just for the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhire View Post
The Footwell Module is covered under warranty for 10 years and 156,600 miles, according to a letter I received today. Whether you're not sure if you're protected, ask your car dealer.
What was this necro bump for? this seems like a bot sneaking in. Maybe I'm wrong...
      03-03-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
qillip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D

Question

Hi, ive just had my FRM 3 fail for the second time, wondered if theres any pemanent fix for this or mods anyones done as not being able to disconnect the battery isn't really an option.

The first time I did jump the car, I can live with not jump starting it but the second time I had to disconnect the battery for removing an airbag.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #11
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by qillip View Post
Hi, ive just had my FRM 3 fail for the second time, wondered if theres any pemanent fix for this or mods anyones done as not being able to disconnect the battery isn't really an option.

The first time I did jump the car, I can live with not jump starting it but the second time I had to disconnect the battery for removing an airbag.
I wonder if a battery kill switch would help. That's probably the simplest way to disconnect and reconnect. There's less chance or arcing or whatever the hell kills FRMs.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0