BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Garage ideas

Hello guys and gals. I'm currently working to redo my garage...well further make to my liking.

This is my latest install. Useless but I wanted to have some wheels shown off.

Looking for ideas. Want to change the orange to red. Rosso Corsa red...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      08-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
You really need to do something with that floor. That will likely make the biggest difference.

For ideas and to just basically drool, read up and look at the examples in this stellar thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...age-pics.4374/
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Yea I'm wanting to do some racedeck, but thats $$. I want something....different. Thinking black floors with like PIT LANE at the entrance or the front of the garage floor. I also need to get the driveway repainted as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
You need a cabinet/shelving system that looks uniform and a floor coating
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Lighting also
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Read up on that thread link I included, you will see that the general consensus is that the race deck isn't getting great reviews. The general thought is that professionally laid down epoxy is the way to go. About a grand for a standard 2 car garage.

Another option, which I am seriously considering, and is surprisingly not insanely expensive and even more surprisingly extremely durable, is ceramic/porcelain tile.

Looks amazing too!

http://www.vaultgarage.com/news/porc...rage-flooring/
Appreciate 3
      08-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Would it support a jack stand or would that crack the tile, or a jack, lift?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Read up on that thread link I included, you will see that the general consensus is that the race deck isn't getting great reviews. The general thought is that professionally laid down epoxy is the way to go. About a grand for a standard 2 car garage.

Another option, which I am seriously considering, and is surprisingly not insanely expensive and even more surprisingly extremely durable, is ceramic/porcelain tile.

Looks amazing too!

http://www.vaultgarage.com/news/porc...rage-flooring/
I actually really like this...

OH let me give some background on the garage....It was in bad shape. Look at the floors and imagine the whole garage like that.

came with the house....I only put those ikea cabinets there cause i ripped out the cabinets that went down the right side. Only leaving the one set.

The painted cabinets...they needed to be painted something. I took the doors off all but the one you see on the left. I glued a poster onto it.

Please tell me what is wrong. I'm ok with it. I just need ideas so I can figure it out.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Would it support a jack stand or would that crack the tile, or a jack, lift?

Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

you can start painting the floor with some dark color if you dont want to invest in it ll make a big difference.. and painting the wall around the door with some different color ll be a cheap but big difference also..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Not sure how extensive you want to redo your garage. When I first moved into my house, I had the electrician add a dedicated 20A circuit for an air compressor and a 50A circuit for a welder. Later when I had some more work done to my house, I had the electricians add more wall outlets along one wall and a 30A circuit which I used to feed a 3000W heater. When I installed the heater, I wired it to a baseboard heater thermostat.

Another thing I had done which I'm not sure if it's an option for you is I had a neighbor who is a licensed plumber install a slop sink in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Eh, I only want a brand specific color on the wall. It's more of a love of racing.

Hell I've gone as far as thinking well I could rip the ceiling out, take it the roof line, add a lift then, and possibly a small upper hangout area. The problem with this is....well room...money....and is it even feasible.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

I want the garage to be a usable extension of the house basically. Not just a garage, but a place I can hangout.

It's a lot....can't add sockets or spend massive amounts of money cause well I'm not a rich man.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

FLOORING! The rest isn't horrible tbh. Cost approx $1,600 for a pro (http://www.garagemonkeyz.com/garage-flooring-austin.php) to come out and do the work. I know someone that used a home depot product with decent success. Here is mine:

Last edited by golfinz; 08-13-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #15
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

As regards using a jack on floor tiles.

I use a piece of aluminum plate under the floor jack on top of my plastic tile floor and under jack stands.
You definitely want a smooth surface for the jack so it can "walk" as you raise the car.

Edit

See here https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...highlight=Reno a fellow Z owner and his garage reno
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Just a couple of quick thoughts:
- I'd suggest a lighter floor. Really dark colored floors look cool in somebody else's photos - usually because they spent a fortune adding a ton of extra lighting. They also hide things you dropped.

- It is super common to suggest picking up some discarded kitchen cabinets to use. they are indeed cheap or free, and already assembled. But what the tipsters don't mention is that they are also designed to hold dishes and other relatively light stuff. Load one up with jackstands, cylinder heads, or even a decent socket set, and they are often overloaded and ready to fall apart off the wall (right on top of the nicest car you have, most of the time). If you go this route, add some bracing or supports for them.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
      08-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #17
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I would highly not recommend ceramic tile unless the concrete was poured for the intent of having ceramic tile laid down. I worked for a ceramic tile manufacturer and certified by Schluter in ceramic tile installation. I also know several people who have done this and not at all happy with the outcome. If the subfloor is not perfectly flat, anytime that something of considerable weight, such as a car will break the tile. Broken ceramic tile is razor sharp and has the potential for puncturing tires.

As for other floor options, I'm in the same boat. Still trying to decide the direction I want to go in. I'll more than likely pay someone to paint and them lay down clear epoxy over mine. The lady that I bought my home from obviously had an oil leak and stained the concrete pretty badly. I'll probably go medium gray and still undecided on sprinkles.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

For a few hundred dollars you can do the floor like in this thread:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...php?p=23377333

It comes in a lot of colors. Easy to apply, durable, and repairable.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I would ditch the wall mounted cabinets for something like this:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...l-board/23327/

You could make your own one if you wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #20
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

1) just have the floor professionally cleaned. Floor looking pretty good.

2) don’t do any more drilling into the cinder block wall, that wall looks nice.

2) for lighting, flat panel LED light.

3) to add some design, I’d look for a steel door with smallish inserted frosted glass.

4) you just need to figure out storage, lighting as earlier noted, paint color for trim, and maybe how to finish off ceiling. It’s hard to see the plumbing and electrical- but that can also be upgraded or designed for a certain look.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #21
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Yea I'm wanting to do some racedeck, but thats $$. I want something....different. Thinking black floors with like PIT LANE at the entrance or the front of the garage floor. I also need to get the driveway repainted as well.
A cheap and cheerful fix for the floor that can be covered at a later date is Professional Varathane or Polyurethane. I have a finished basement with wood floors over an insulated subfloor, but one room we did was a Wine/Whisk(e)y room. We were paining over what to do on the floor, I had done some wood work in the room before finishing the basement and had spilled some polyurethane on it. We ended up doing the whole floor in it. It looks very cool. The concrete went really dark brown, almost black. It has a nice shine and all the imperfections seem to pop out looking really cool. Cost me a gallon of the stuff about $60. (three coats) If I ever want to go in a different direction I can go right over top of it. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #22
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
I would ditch the wall mounted cabinets for something like this:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...l-board/23327/

You could make your own one if you wanted to.
I plan to do this on the wall directly in front of the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
1) just have the floor professionally cleaned. Floor looking pretty good. - Good Idea

2) don’t do any more drilling into the cinder block wall, that wall looks nice. - We actually did a lot of work to fill the holes and repaint it. Planning on moving yard tools to this spot.

2) for lighting, flat panel LED light. - There are hanging garage fluorescent lighting fixtures, I plan to do something with this.

3) to add some design, I’d look for a steel door with smallish inserted frosted glass. - this is something we are already planning for the dogs to see out

4) you just need to figure out storage, lighting as earlier noted, paint color for trim, and maybe how to finish off ceiling. It’s hard to see the plumbing and electrical- but that can also be upgraded or designed for a certain look. - for now the storage isn't horrible. Yes I don't know what those cabinets were meant to hold, but they hold cleaning products good.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50