BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #23
Jsargevt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Since purchasing my 135i (2011 DCT convertible with HiFi) used I have heard white noise coming out of the speakers when the car is "awake". It also has the RF noise that sounds like a fax machine or GSM interference. However, it has just been a mild annoyance until last week. After tanking up the car with gas, I inserted the key and instead of my nice gong I get very loud feedback and white noise. Obviously, turning the radio off had no effect as did stopping and re-starting the car.

I drove home like this and after parking the car while it was still screeching at me I went inside and checked on it after the car had entered sleep mode. I inserted the key and....no loud crazy noise, just the gong and the usual white noise and the loud sounds have not returned.

I searched and located this thread where they have SI B65 03 14 about this problem identified. I am taking the car in to get my VANOS bolt recall done and they are going to check it out. VERY frustratingly the CPO warranty will likely NOT cover this even though in the SIB they state that there were defective radios put into service (and the warranty is pretty clear on not covering the radio).

I'll let you know what they say but I am guessing that this will be about $800+ to get the radio replaced and installed. Hopefully they will want to work on a mutually agreeable situation but I am betting that won't happen. I can deal with the white noise but I won't be able to deal with it if it makes the loud noise frequently. I thought that there was a problem with the amp so I have a BavAudio one on the way....we shall see how this all pans out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Took the car to the dealer and they just called me with two news:
The Bad = Yes, it is the radio and to replace it cost $2K
The Good = dealer is doing a" good will" and tell me I have to pay only $500 to be replace it.

What you think? I have until end of the day (today) for my answer.

Still mad that the CPO won't cover this Sh#$%#
      10-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #25
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post
Took the car to the dealer and they just called me with two news:
The Bad = Yes, it is the radio and to replace it cost $2K
The Good = dealer is doing a" good will" and tell me I have to pay only $500 to be replace it.

What you think? I have until end of the day (today) for my answer.

Still mad that the CPO won't cover this Sh#$%#
$2k to replace?!?! A new head unit according to getbmwparts is $462 and it takes about ~30 minutes to replace the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #26
WP1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
$2k to replace?!?! A new head unit according to getbmwparts is $462 and it takes about ~30 minutes to replace the head unit.
Yeah, that is what the representative told me. Anyways, I did it because I drive around with my kids sometimes and I want to have music as well.

However, for me it is unacceptable that BMW does not cover this under warranty or the CPO as it was a factory defected unit. Wondering if there will be a recall later on. I will try to get reimbursement from BMW head quarters.
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" should not have this kind of issues.

I asked if it was easier to just get an after market radio and told me since the radio is connect to the iDrive, it will mess up a lot of electronics and would not work properly. Didn't have the budget, but $500 in total is not that bad. Last month, BestBuy was charging me around $200 just to change one speaker (which I did it myself because I thought it was an speaker issue at first).

Last edited by WP1; 10-28-2015 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #27
Jsargevt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1 View Post

However, for me it is unacceptable that BMW does not cover this under warranty or the CPO as it was a factory defected unit. Wondering if there will be a recall later on. I will try to get reimbursement from BMW head quarters.
I agree - BMW KNOWS that there are defective units out there and yet we need to pay to have it replaced with no obvious restitution. The radio should never have this kind of issue and if the prior owner never noticed (or cared) we shouldn't be penalized for the CPO warranty not covering it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
WP1
Private
Rep

Bad news: Picked up the car today and it seem okay at the beginning, but then the noise came again (not that strong), so went back to the dealer and got the technician to drive with me. Now he thinks is bad wiring. So the dealer will go and take the panel out and try to fix. The potential good news is that it could be cover under the CPO. If it is, I will try to get my $500 back...

Last edited by WP1; 10-30-2015 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #29
WP1
Private
Rep

UPDATE: Got the car yesterday and the issue is fixed. However, I had to ask for a refund and at the end we split up the bill and still got a new unit. So my cost was $250, but I still need to wait for that check in a week as the dealer do not issue refund by credit cards.

The motion static noise coming from the speakers were loose connections and the main connector at the amp and the amp not being secure properly.

However, the dealer could not refund me the $500 because they believe (even though the tech ignored my comments and changed the radio) there were two separate issues, the unit been faulty and the wiring from the amp affecting the speakers. Also, the time involved diagnostic and fixing the issue which is not cover by CPO.

Overall, (even though I lost 2 days of time off at work in the multiple visits to the dealer) I am happy with the outcome.

Hope my recording of the event help people with the same issue.
      06-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #30
Stubbie Blue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe

I know this is an old thread, but I also had this high pitched white noise in my 2012 135i even with the radio off. Since I have no warranty, I put in an aftermarket stereo and the noise is now gone.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510420

I thought I would get used to the noise or it would blend in to the road noise or air vent/fan noise, but now that it is gone the car is noticeably quieter and more enjoyable to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #31
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Bump!!! More interesting issues cropped up overnight. The issue stems from the region frequency of the head unit. When using USA the white noise high pitched frequency is played through the speakers. Happens on both new and old head units. Changing to Europe or any other region makes the sound go away.
      02-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #32
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Bump!!! More interesting issues cropped up overnight. The issue stems from the region frequency of the head unit. When using USA the white noise high pitched frequency is played through the speakers. Happens on both new and old head units. Changing to Europe or any other region makes the sound go away.

Is this noise only happening for you when you’re listening to the radio or all the time regardless of whether or not the head unit is on??

I just tried a 2012 production date head unit in my car, it makes the noise, but much quieter than mine... might bite the bullet and buy brand new from bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #33
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken135i View Post
Quote:

Is this noise only happening for you when you’re listening to the radio or all the time regardless of whether or not the head unit is on??

I just tried a 2012 production date head unit in my car, it makes the noise, but much quieter than mine... might bite the bullet and buy brand new from bmw
Happens regardless. Seems pre-2013 units have an issue. Changing region under hidden menu solves the problem!
      04-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #34
BFD
I'm kind of a big deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
UPDATE!! 2/11/2013

After taking my car in for the last service before my warranty expires, I decided to again complain about my stupid "white noise" which can be explained below... This has been a persistent issue that has plagued my car for over 2 years. All of which I have gotten the cold shoulder from BMW saying that it's normal or that there is no fix and the issue has been noted...

Needless to say, my dealer called me today and the technician working on my car said he got confirmation from BMW that they have a new head-unit out that replaces the old faulty RAD2 system. Apparently this gets rid of the persistent white noise that appears to be always on (even with the radio off).

Okay so after my previous thread of the problem... I decided to finally post the verdict to that problem.

It all started with the car not making the white noise at all. After the car went in for a routine check-up, oil change, recall inspection they decided to update the cars ECU. After the update the dealer apparently did not follow the correct protocol and blew out my entire head unit... Needless to say after a week of my car in the shop I was ready to have it back!

The new head unit arrived in sufficient time for me to pick my car back up on Saturday (March 19). After picking my car up and driving home, I noticed a faint but noticeable white noise coming from the front 2 tweeters. Trying to diagnose the problem I tried turning the car on/off, radio on/off, resetting the radio etc... nothing worked. The noise was still coming out of the front 2 tweeters even when the car wasn't even turned on! And to add it was even noticeable with some music on a low volume setting!

Needless to say I decided to keep my car for another week then called the dealer up again. This time having one of the service reps drive with me in the car to hear the problem. They decided to go ahead and reset the head unit... which I already tried, and then proceed to replace it. After replacing the head unit the sound seemed to have disappeared long enough for the service rep driving in the car with me to give the car the OK to leave. Driving home the noise started up again... So I immediately scheduled an appointment for my car to be picked up the following week and checked out. (This was this past week).

After having it in for a couple of days, my service representative had apparently confirmed with the SC production facility technicians that this is an isolated case (08-09 model year 128-135) with the RAD 2 head-unit radio... The cause of the noise is apparently a combination between the amplifier and the electronic system that controls the power current to the speakers - is not functioning correctly and is thus transmitting power when you open/close the door and not turning off at the right time. This is why you hear the white noise which is the feedback that is caused by the speakers.

Answer: What this means for people with this problem? There is no current fix or solution to solve this problem currently. According to my service representative they are working on a solution to hopefully fix this issue sometime in the near future via software update. The entire audio system is perfect, and is thus an electronic system malfunction that cannot be fixed by putting new parts into the car, only updates.

Hope this helps people with the noise...

A simple determination if you have the noise...
1) Hop in the car
2) Close the door
3) Listen for 'any' high frequency noise coming from the driver/passenger door lower speaker (under the sail).
4) The radio does not have to be turned on in order to hear the noise which usually stays on until you exit the vehicle or the electronics turn off in the car.
So I have the same issue in my 11' 128i it sounds like. I am going to purchase a replacement OEM head unit to hopefully fix it. I want to do the Joying aftermarket head unit upgrade but I just don't have the time to tackle that endeavor and really just want my car running the way it should. Would you or anyone else by chance have some sort of documentation of BMW's response to this defective unit? I want to have backup in case I buy an OEM unit for my car and it turns out to have the same issue and I have to fight to get my money back on return policies..
Appreciate 0