04-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
The one who buys ain't always the same who drives.

Attachment 669073
This is very true!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I agree about the 1M being much less of a worry than some press reports suggested. It behaves very well as long as you give the right input and mine is even more predictable and smooth now thanks to the Michelin PSS that I switched to, really working good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
My first Snow experience with my 1998 M3 coup was when I spun out in front of a school Bus on a 2 lane road. Talk about "deer in the headlight moment". We locked eyes and both said "oh sh*t". Luckily he had good reflexes and brakes. Even with proper snows the tail end of that car always wanted to come around. MY 94' 125is, my Z3 3.0, and my e46 M3 were much better winter cars. I was worried about the 1M but was pleasantly suprized at how it handled in the snow. Actually the car is not as much as a handful as I expected from the press reviews. It's a car that likes smooth imputs and an experienced driver. Sometimes you just have to be stupid but at the right time, place and conditions. Then it is fun!

BTW my worst handling car was my 1988 VW Scirocco 16V. It was light; relatively powerful with a really cr..py suspension. It was fun though.

Holly
I get the snow tires off this week and head out to Greensboro NC Wed for a road trip.
24 days until our first autocross!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
hythe
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

My wife chose the 1M to replace her 335d, after a drive-off against... a MINI Countryman!

Still, this is the same household where I went into a dealer looking for a 320d Compact once, ended up eventually with an Alpina B5 Touring.

Anyway, luckily, she handed the keys to me and took my daily driver instead. Which she hates now. And wants the MINI. D'oh!!!

I tend to think there are two things scary about the 1M - the nasty way the sudden overboost can overpower the traction of the PS2s, wiping out lateral grip mid-corner, and the evil childish mischievous stupid place it can take the driver's mind to, if you don't keep yourself under control. I had a Subaru like that once - nearly got myself killed in it! Anyone watched that (crappy) movie "Devil Inside"?

Sorry, early morning wild ramblings...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #26
Tamara
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

manly?

Not sure that strictly speaking I can still be called a 'girl' at my age.
Anyway, to quote Autocar (on handing back their long term test the other week). 'At the end, its about maximum, undiluted, sometimes slightly scary fun behind the wheel......That's what proper M cars have always been like.'
So there you have it, there's no shame in being scared, in fact isn't that what we bought one for?
Appreciate 0