BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #11859
CH400EM
M119
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9892 Merc 400E, %E2%80%

Fire extinguisher mounted in the trunk. Made a steel backing plate (behind the liner) for the extinguisher mount to attach to. 3 bolts through the trunk lid liner. The extinguisher bracket fits in the slot for the Euro warning triangle.
Attached Images

05-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #11860
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Luckily, there will be tons of vehicles with B58's to hold over those that want one without the looks of the supra. I can't think of any coupe in recent years that looks worse than this. No stretch for me, this is a very big miss. Luckily it will have gobs of aftermarket support to help it's looks. I'm sure there will be some heavily modified ones that I don't mind. Varis needs to do a $20k widebody kit I'll never buy
Ya, the b58 is clearly the engine to own now and will probably have the largest aftermarket of any BMW every built thanks to the Supra. My eye has started to wander....but I'll definitely hold out for a few years when depreciation hits.
Well, it's the last gas engine BMW will be designing, so we will have it in one form or another for a long time. BMW has no new gas engine designs in the works. All electric from here on.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #11861
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

They might not have anything in the works as of right now but I’m confident we haven’t seen the last of new designs, productions of fossil fuel power plants from BMW and most other manufacturers. Gasoline, diesel isn’t going away any time soon, politics changes and reality sets in.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
low1352210.50
      05-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #11862
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
They might not have anything in the works as of right now but I’m confident we haven’t seen the last of new designs, productions of fossil fuel power plants from BMW and most other manufacturers. Gasoline, diesel isn’t going away any time soon, politics changes and reality sets in.
The gasoline engine is a relic of the past now. All new development is with electric power trains. The US is just several steps behind the rest of the world.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #11863
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Time will tell
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #11864
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Time will tell
This was told to me while I was on training at BMW Corporate.
Appreciate 2
duder13767.00
CH400EM117.50
      05-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #11865
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire148 View Post
what do you want to know/see. its a Erisin ES3840B android 8.1

see full details here. I got it from a UK seller on Ebay.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eris...950684413.html

so far my only complaint is the chimes for seatbelt warning/low fuel/ or fault chimes have changed and i cant control them to set them back to default but other than this its a great responsive headunit for not very much money.

I have downloaded an app called carwebguru which alows you to fully customise the menu layout and home screen so the screen isnt filled with apps or widgets you dont want or need. dm me you want any more details or advice on it. sadly I didnt take any pics of the fitting process but it was straght forward and simple. the only mildly technical part was shaving the climate control edges to fit lower down in the dash which took 5 min to sand each side but you get all the details you need in the instructions and as i said it was simple. Attachment 2056095
That's awesome! Do you have idrive as well or just the regular unit?
      05-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #11866
spitfire148
Rep
Drives: bmw e82

Garage List
2008 1 series  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
That's awesome! Do you have idrive as well or just the regular unit?

no I dont have the Idrive just the regular unit. i have 2 drinks holders instead. first owner must have been thirsty or broke
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #11867
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
They might not have anything in the works as of right now but I'm confident we haven't seen the last of new designs, productions of fossil fuel power plants from BMW and most other manufacturers. Gasoline, diesel isn't going away any time soon, politics changes and reality sets in.
The gasoline engine is a relic of the past now. All new development is with electric power trains. The US is just several steps behind the rest of the world.
LOL please show me ANY country that's predominantly full electric vehicles. IC engines are not a relic of the past. They are still very much the present and foreseeable future. Goofy ass statements. I don't care what your non cited "source" at BMW corporate said. From two weeks ago "The company reports a 52.3% sales drop, which makes the EV sales number so small that it even didn't even appear in the press release. Assuming 1,973 sales in April 2018, then this April sales shrunk to 941. So, the share out of BMW's overall volume of sales decreased to 3.6%."

Relic

Laughable.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #11868
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
LOL please show me ANY country that's predominantly full electric vehicles. IC engines are not a relic of the past. They are still very much the present and foreseeable future. Goofy ass statements. I don't care what your non cited "source" at BMW corporate said. From two weeks ago "The company reports a 52.3% sales drop, which makes the EV sales number so small that it even didn't even appear in the press release. Assuming 1,973 sales in April 2018, then this April sales shrunk to 941. So, the share out of BMW's overall volume of sales decreased to 3.6%."

Relic

Laughable.
I think you're missing the point. He's not saying ICE are dead, just that BMW may not design another new one. Several Ford and Chevy engines have been around in various forms for decades. BMWs ICE may be updated for years to come, but he's saying there won't be any entirely new designs. If BMW is planning an all electric lineup in 10 years, why spend all the money developing a new engine? Just keep tweaking the same ones until that day comes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:19 AM   #11869
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Quote:
LOL please show me ANY country that's predominantly full electric vehicles. IC engines are not a relic of the past. They are still very much the present and foreseeable future. Goofy ass statements. I don't care what your non cited "source" at BMW corporate said. From two weeks ago "The company reports a 52.3% sales drop, which makes the EV sales number so small that it even didn't even appear in the press release. Assuming 1,973 sales in April 2018, then this April sales shrunk to 941. So, the share out of BMW's overall volume of sales decreased to 3.6%."

Relic

Laughable.
I think you're missing the point. He's not saying ICE are dead, just that BMW may not design another new one. Several Ford and Chevy engines have been around in various forms for decades. BMWs ICE may be updated for years to come, but he's saying there won't be any entirely new designs. If BMW is planning an all electric lineup in 10 years, why spend all the money developing a new engine? Just keep tweaking the same ones until that day comes.
I'm not missing the point at all. There has never been any official statement to substantiate his claim. BMW is still developing new IC engines currently. The S58 just proved that. They're putting money into new manufacturing processes that can only be used in ICE. Maybe I'm wrong but the numbers and current development don't say that. Why would anyone take an unofficial claim like that to heart? BMW EV sales are miniscule and dropping. Use your noggin
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #11870
low135
Banned
Rep

Preserving our beloved ICE aside, I found a company that makes these. I've been looking forever and all but gave up hope.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #11871
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Makes sense to me. Klaus Fröhlich already said last fall that all BMW engines will at least have some kind of hybrid system by 2025. I’m fully prepared for the 135i to be me last purely ICE sports car with a manual...although I’m also prepared to keep it for the long haul.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #11872
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Don’t want to take this too far off topic, but the future is probably a combo of gas/electric hybrids, hydrogen, and electric. Electric has a lot of weaknesses that are hard to fully overcome, such as charging time to 100%, losing range from sitting, max range, etc...

I expect to see a lot more progress on the hydrogen fuel cell side in the next decade. But I think most mainstream transportation will still be covered by gas/electric hybrids, hydrogen, and probably still some pure ICE vehicles.

Electric vehicles are cool, but I think they will mostly be relegated to people living in dense cities. Where I live currently an electric car would be great for my commute. Where I used to live in Texas, an electric car wouldn’t have worked at all.
Appreciate 1
low1352210.50
      05-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #11873
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Cleaned up, painted and rebuilt the first caliper for my cheapo BBK. They're from an E90 335i pre-LCI. Nothing special but definitely look better than the grimy ones we started with.

Pushed the piston out with compressed air, resealed it. Wire-wheeled, sanded and painted with VHT caliper paint then baked in a Goodwill toaster oven.
Attached Images

Last edited by desertman123; 05-19-2019 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 4
      05-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #11874
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Put on some gloss black kidney grills and a new emblem. It's an emblem off eBay, so fitment is expectedly poor.
Attached Images

Matticus913474.50
      05-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #11875
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They might not have anything in the works as of right now but I'm confident we haven't seen the last of new designs, productions of fossil fuel power plants from BMW and most other manufacturers. Gasoline, diesel isn't going away any time soon, politics changes and reality sets in.
LOL please show me ANY country that's predominantly full electric vehicles. IC engines are not a relic of the past. They are still very much the present and foreseeable future. Goofy ass statements. I don't care what your non cited "source" at BMW corporate said. From two weeks ago "The company reports a 52.3% sales drop, which makes the EV sales number so small that it even didn't even appear in the press release. Assuming 1,973 sales in April 2018, then this April sales shrunk to 941. So, the share out of BMW's overall volume of sales decreased to 3.6%."

Relic

Laughable.
Norway.

58% of new car sales are electric.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/01/tesla...es-new-record/
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #11876
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Relic

Laughable.
Norway.

58% of new car sales are electric.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/01/tesla...es-new-record/
58% is a pretty good number for new car sales. What's that put EV to ICE for the whole country? Because that's what I asked for.

Norway is a small country. 5.5M people. Hardly indicative of ICE being a "relic of the past" for any part of the world.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #11877
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Don't want to take this too far off topic, but the future is probably a combo of gas/electric hybrids, hydrogen, and electric. Electric has a lot of weaknesses that are hard to fully overcome, such as charging time to 100%, losing range from sitting, max range, etc...

I expect to see a lot more progress on the hydrogen fuel cell side in the next decade. But I think most mainstream transportation will still be covered by gas/electric hybrids, hydrogen, and probably still some pure ICE vehicles.

Electric vehicles are cool, but I think they will mostly be relegated to people living in dense cities. Where I live currently an electric car would be great for my commute. Where I used to live in Texas, an electric car wouldn't have worked at all.
So ICE are like vinyl

Electric the Cassette Tapes

Hybrid the CDs

Fuel Cell is the MP3?

??
      05-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #11878
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Ohlins Road and Track Review:

TL;DR Version: Umlauts do wondrous, fantastic things.

A couple weeks ago, I finally received my set of Ohlins Road & Track coilovers from 3DM Motorsports. A custom spec; 70N/mm Swift front springs, and 160N/mm Swift rear springs, and valving to match their 1M kit. First impressions were phenomenal; packaging was perfection, plenty of stickers were included, and they were just sooo pretty.

As soon as possible, I got them installed in a single day! First driving impressions were good, but my alignment was WAY off, and I was too busy wondering which direction the next crank of the steering wheel would send me in to notice the finer points. I did an alignment in the middle of that week, and it was time for a REAL first impression. Good God, they felt amazing. They were definitely stiffer, and had FAR better body control than my old Koni's. Yet, there was a suppleness and subtlety to the way it drove that I've never seen. It followed every undulation, crest and bobble in the pavement, but it glided over potholes like a well-built off-roader. The truck-ish ride height was a blessing; I could sail over speed humps, fly over potholes, and bomb down craggy back roads without much aplomb. Fantastic. Wayyy down at 25 clicks from full-stiff, it softened up and became a more-than-bearable daily driver unlike ever before. The confidence to carry bewildering speeds through corners was wonderful.

This weekend, I got to test the "track" portion of their name during HyperFest at VIR. Wow. Just...wow. Crank the dampers up to 1 click from full-stiff, and it reaches race car levels of body tightness and bounciness, but it still fails to crash and bang across broken asphalt. You really are paying for the dampers with this suspension, and they are SOOO worth it. The car is two-faced in the best way possible, and I couldn't be happier. Despite a lacking in negative camber up front, I managed a blistering (?) 2:20.13 on VIR's Full Course. I didn't even pull a whole G-force in the corners on that hot lap, which means there's room on the table for even more speed. The car was wonderfully planted and instilled so much confidence. Undulations, curbing, and minor off-track excursions didn't upset the car one bit. It just danced beautifully (very sideways through turn 10 at 100mph was sketchy though).

On to the rest of the car:
It performed flawlessly this weekend. 200 mile drive down was comfortable, despite malfunctioning cruise control. Two days of performance driving in 90 degree weather didn't seem to phase the car, other than dizzying oil temps. Started-up every time, and was consistent in its performance all weekend. The RE-71R's are great. Warmed-up quickly and didn't seem to get unmanageably greasy. The braking performance was astounding (mash the pedal into turn 1, and ZERO ABS interference), but the cornering performance was missing something (probably due to lack of negative camber). Fantastic weekend at VIR. HyperFest was really cool; they had everything you could possibly think of with a motor (even lawn mower racing). Truly fantastic (if busy) event.

What the car needs now:
-It may need a new axle shaft and motor mounts. I'm getting a loud pop-pop-pop when I accelerate from a stop, and there's a MASSIVE amount of slop in the drivetrain. I replaced one axle just last year, so it's probably the other one (obviously lol).

-It may need more power. It just feels gutless until 5th gear (weird, I know) on the straights. When a 90's Civic has to lift-off to let you take your point-by, there's definitely something wrong. It's got the legs in 5th gear, but 3rd and 4th feel weak-sauce.

-It may need more cooling. The oil temp gauge was cresting 260 degrees fahrenheit this weekend, and that's far too hot for my tastes. Also, the power steering seems to be overheated by the end of a session, as the steering wheel is oddly light and the reservoir gets covered in spewed fluid.

-It needs more negative camber up front. -2.3 degrees is a good compromise, but adjustable camber plates would be wonderful to simply adjust from a super aggressive track setting to a mild-ish street setting with a few turns of a wrench.

-The driver's seat needs more bolstering. A Quick-Fit harness can only do so much for one 220-pound speedy boi. Either some custom upholstery work, or finding cloth M3 seats (really rare).
Tuxedo1407.50
iminhell13914.50
Matticus913474.50
1and11856.50
Gangplank1539.50
CH400EM117.50
      05-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #11879
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I didn't do anything to mine. Weather has been garbage.

But I did manage to help a buddy out with his GTI. He wanted me to stop over and walnut blast it, and I happily said I would.
Well 81,000 miles and no cleaning. It wasn't too terrible but it wasn't good either.
I wanted them perfect so I spent a little more time than I maybe should have, about 30 min per port. It's got that little hole beside each port and that's where a divider goes. First one I tired i got a face full of shells blasting out at me. LOL
Found a couple wooden dowels and that sealed them fairly well.
I couldn't get a good angle at things so I had to come at them from either side and fiddle around.
In the end I think I'm happy with the result. But how it runs will be the ultimate goal. I think he should see a nice gain in power and running better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50
      05-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #11880
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post

What the car needs now:
-It may need a new axle shaft and motor mounts. I'm getting a loud pop-pop-pop when I accelerate from a stop, and there's a MASSIVE amount of slop in the drivetrain. I replaced one axle just last year, so it's probably the other one (obviously lol).

-It may need more power. It just feels gutless until 5th gear (weird, I know) on the straights. When a 90's Civic has to lift-off to let you take your point-by, there's definitely something wrong. It's got the legs in 5th gear, but 3rd and 4th feel weak-sauce.

-It may need more cooling. The oil temp gauge was cresting 260 degrees fahrenheit this weekend, and that's far too hot for my tastes. Also, the power steering seems to be overheated by the end of a session, as the steering wheel is oddly light and the reservoir gets covered in spewed fluid.

-It needs more negative camber up front. -2.3 degrees is a good compromise, but adjustable camber plates would be wonderful to simply adjust from a super aggressive track setting to a mild-ish street setting with a few turns of a wrench.

-The driver's seat needs more bolstering. A Quick-Fit harness can only do so much for one 220-pound speedy boi. Either some custom upholstery work, or finding cloth M3 seats (really rare).
Glad you're loving the R&T's!!!

And is that really YOU saying it needs more power now??????? Lol

For the cooling, you can code the fans to come on earlier, that might help the issue. Also adding an oil cooler couldn't hurt.

I didn't realize you don't have camber plates, I had a set of dinans I just let go...

I too have been on the hunt for some M3 seats, I see we are in a competition here