BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Per the title - casually searching for a Valencia Orange or Alpine White, non-navigation BMW 1M. We are a growing family and I fear a 2-seat coupe is a limited use proposition in a region where the driving season is only 7 months long.

The car will be driven to work/daycare, taken to the track and maintained primarily by me. As such I am flexible to number of owners and mileage, not looking for a collector spec car. If you are seeking more than $50K I am not your buyer.

Feel free to PM or respond directly. Located in the Midwest, willing to travel!

Last edited by 86Zed; 02-17-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Per the title - beginning a search for a Valencia Orange, non-navigation BMW 1M. Not willing to compromise on either of those requirements, however I am flexible to number of owners and mileage.

Feel free to PM or respond directly.
Good for you, that's the best spec! Hope you find one!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
I really do not use the nav., however I love having the screen for apps and such (M lap timer) you can always remove and drop in the pocket or swap dash out. Had to get the pkg to FULLY option out, and like you I wouldn't compromise. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Per the title - beginning a search for a Valencia Orange, non-navigation BMW 1M. Not willing to compromise on either of those requirements, however I am flexible to number of owners and mileage.

Feel free to PM or respond directly.
Your taste is impeccable; can't let mine go yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still looking - let me know if anyone has plans of parting with their car in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Still looking - let me know if anyone has plans of parting with their car in the future.
SENT YOU PM
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still on the hunt! Send me a PM if you have a car, not interested in garage queens.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

I have one for sale, it is on cargurus and my phone number to contact me is on there
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      04-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
I have one for sale, it is on cargurus and my phone number to contact me is on there
Thanks! Great looking car and spot on my requirements, unfortunately a bit too rich for my blood. GLWS
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

Price is negotiable and keep in mind, a lot of work was done to this car
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A few years later with a newborn thrown into the mix and the search is back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A few years later with a newborn thrown into the mix and the search is back on.
Congrats, on the baby. I also got the 1M because I had kids and the manual seats not only give you more headroom but they slide forward quicker to let kids in. It really would help if you at least say what part of the country you are if you don't want to say what city.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #13
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Congrats, on the baby. I also got the 1M because I had kids and the manual seats not only give you more headroom but they slide forward quicker to let kids in. It really would help if you at least say what part of the country you are if you don't want to say what city.
Great to know! I test drove and passed on a car that met (and exceeded) my criteria in 2018, kicking myself but hindsight is 20/20 and lived the two seat life as long as I could.

Located in the Midwest - willing to travel anywhere in North America for the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great to know! I test drove and passed on a car that met (and exceeded) my criteria in 2018, kicking myself but hindsight is 20/20 and lived the two seat life as long as I could.

Located in the Midwest - willing to travel anywhere in North America for the car.
Got it. Yes, when I ordered mine I took my kids to the dealership and they had two 135i, one power seat and one manual. At that time, the quick slide forward sealed the deal for me.

If you are close to Canada, which is why I was asking about where, keep an eye up there too. There might still be good deals up there though a bunch of their 220 cars have been brought down here.

Last edited by nachob; 04-03-2020 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      04-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Nachob is correct.

I just posted my 2011 1M AW for sale. #154 of 220 for Canada. It has NAV but might be the right deal at is a driver with 133,700 KMS (83,000 miles). Manual heated seats. I am located in Victoria BC Canada. Looking for $51,000 CAD (about $36,500 USD today) I have a local dealer who could take care of the whole transaction, importing, transport etc as well: http://silverarrowcars.com/

My CL ad with details: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...102302637.html

Email: touringteg at Hotmail dot com

Last edited by touringteg; 04-02-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      04-04-2020, 12:02 AM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post
Nachob is correct.

I just posted my 2011 1M AW for sale. #154 of 220 for Canada. It has NAV but might be the right deal at is a driver with 133,700 KMS (83,000 miles). Manual heated seats. I am located in Victoria BC Canada. Looking for $51,000 CAD (about $36,500 USD today) I have a local dealer who could take care of the whole transaction, importing, transport etc as well: http://silverarrowcars.com/

My CL ad with details: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...102302637.html

Email: touringteg at Hotmail dot com

Touringteg, it's been 4 and change years since I imported mine so could be old information but if a dealer does the importing it no longer falls under the US Citizen personal import exemption for Canadian cars. By US law if it is a commercial transaction (ie Dealer ) it has to meet all US Federal laws. In the case of the 1M it meets all federal laws except for the speedometer but that is about a $1600 USD change. Under the "personal" import rule, a US citizen can buy a canadian car and import it themselves (drive it accross and tell customs you bought the car and are importing it as private citizen) In that case the the speedometer is not required to be changed.

An other note, is that if someone changes the speedometer it HAS to be changed by a BMW dealer as part of the law and have the receipt otherwise, a US state DMV can mark your title as unverifiable mileage. If you have BMW dealer documentation you are OK. However if you sell the car later and the cluster has been changed, even at a dealer, it makes some people nervous so the best thing in my humble opinion is to keep the original cluster and mileage if possible. After import IF the US buyer wants to get rid of the super cool EURO Kilometer only speedometer, they can do that at a US dealership later.

The the digital display can be switched to miles, Farenheit and even show MPH so it really is the best of both worlds. I have had mine over 4 years now plus it gives you one more thing that some sharp people notice at cars and coffee.

So again, maybe the US law has changed but I would just mention the personal import option to potential buyers. I have helped about 7 people plus myself import canadian M cars to the US. Best of luck.

As far as 86zed, I really also prefer the no-nav 1M and I hope he gets one, but there is another gentleman here that you already notified that might be interested and I also posted on it not seeing yours.

So good luck with sale!

Here is a picture of Canadian rescue that I saved from the harsh winters and traffic of Ontario to live the rest of its life in sunny San Diego, CA.

Before at US customs just after entering the US

and now basking in the San Diego sun as a Canadian ExPat.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 04-04-2020 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #17
adenauer.forst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ///

Quote:
Touringteg, it's been 4 and change years since I imported mine so could be old information but if a dealer does the importing it no longer falls under the US Citizen personal import exemption for Canadian cars. By US law if it is a commercial transaction (ie Dealer ) it has to meet all US Federal laws. In the case of the 1M it meets all federal laws except for the speedometer but that is about a $1600 USD change. Under the "personal" import rule, a US citizen can buy a canadian car and import it themselves (drive it accross and tell customs you bought the car and are importing it as private citizen) In that case the the speedometer is not required to be changed.

An other note, is that if someone changes the speedometer it HAS to be changed by a BMW dealer as part of the law and have the receipt otherwise, a US state DMV can mark your title as unverifiable mileage. If you have BMW dealer documentation you are OK. However if you sell the car later and the cluster has been changed, even at a dealer, it makes some people nervous so the best thing in my humble opinion is to keep the original cluster and mileage if possible. After import IF the US buyer wants to get rid of the super cool EURO Kilometer only speedometer, they can do that at a US dealership later.

The the digital display can be switched to miles, Farenheit and even show MPH so it really is the best of both worlds. I have had mine over 4 years now plus it gives you one more thing that some sharp people notice at cars and coffee.

So again, maybe the US law has changed but I would just mention the personal import option to potential buyers. I have helped about 7 people plus myself import canadian M cars to the US. Best of luck.

As far as 86zed, I really also prefer the no-nav 1M and I hope he gets one, but there is another gentleman here that you already notified that might be interested and I also posted on it not seeing yours.

So good luck with sale!

Here is a picture of Canadian rescue that I saved from the harsh winters and traffic of Ontario to live the rest of its life in sunny San Diego, CA.

Before at US customs just after entering the US

and now basking in the San Diego sun as a Canadian ExPat.
Thank you Nachob! That is a very valuable info you have provided. Love your VO1M! Same to Touringteg’s AW!

Stay safe guys!
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      04-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #18
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow that is very valuable information! Thank you so much for sharing that. It would definitely be easier if the car is purchased directly from me and then the buyer can choose to change the cluster at a dealer in the USA should they choose.

Love the VO 1M!

Ian
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      04-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #19
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep

@nachob could a buyer have TFX deal with the shipping and importing and it still be considered purchased and imported as a personal import?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:15 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@nachob could a buyer have TFX deal with the shipping and importing and it still be considered purchased and imported as a personal import?
No, I don't believe so. They would have hire a customs broker and use a formal entry which then makes the speedometer a possible sticking point. Honestly, I don't know if customs would even check but it opens you up to the possibility of an issue. There has been discussion of a new trade deal with Canada but I don't believe that is ratified yet nor if they changed that part of it.

As I mentioned, I drove from Toronto to San Diego with wife and two kids. While it was an unforgettable way to enjoy a 1M crossing the country that was not the original plan.

I also assumed that since I was a private person arranging the cross border shipping that the speedometer would be exempt but the shipping company's expert told me no. Since a shipping company and customs broken were doing the import into the US, it would have to meet all the requirements. Then they dropped the hammer on me. I had return flights for the entire family to get back to san diego the day I was to turn over the car to the shipping company. They emailed me the final contract which stated that 1. If customs detains the truck dealing with customs for more than (I think 4 hours) I would be charged an hourly rate after that. Then if after 8 hours customs had not cleared my import, they would unload my car at the nearest storage facility where I would have to pay the market rate for storage and the transport would leave without my car and for the final coupe de grace, my $1700 shipping fee was non refundable because the truck would be on it's way even without my car. Again, maybe they do it differently now but that's how it was for me in 2015..

So I ripped up the papers, called Southwest airlines, cancelled my return flight and imported it myself at Niagara Falls. I had done extensive research and my mother is a US Customs Broker for 35 years so she had helped me with the research also. I had the BMW letter of compliance, the car stil had the original Meets all US EPA and California requirement sticker under the hood, DOT import form and EPA form, bill of sale and title. It took about 40 minutes, paid the 2.5% duty based on the value of the car we hit the road.

I did consider importing it to the US and having it picked up in Buffalo and shipped back but I had nowhere to leave it until the transport arrived and wasn't just going to leave it on street.

A couple of additional notes:
If it's a private party sale, customs can decide to lookup the value on a bluebook type thing regardless of what your bill of sale says. If it's from a dealer, they are supposed to use the dealer bill of sale but even then, these guys are there to stop smuggling and being trusting of people is not what got them there so they did that with me even though the law said that if a dealer invoice to use that number so be prepared for a little extra.

Don't carry anything else in the car, don't buy a case of Canadian maple syrup and a couple of cases of fine Canadian bear and throw in the trunk. Have the car super clean and only your bags. Trying to import anything else will just complicate things.

I have been with Wawansa insurance for 25 years. When I called them to ask if they covered me in Canada, they laughed and said actually we are a Canadian company....so yes. Which makes sense, Wawanesa must be some canadian hockey move or something that we didn't know about down here. : ) But just check with your insurance company.

Make sure the invoice says Canadian Dollars or US Dollars. My invoice from a canadian business just said Dollars. So of course you are trying to explain that to the most trusting people in the world....US Customs officers and DMV employees both of which assumed that it was in US dollars because it didn't say Canadian dollars.... but it was IN CANADA! Didn't matter, luckily the customs guy believed me and put down the lower US figure which was on the import form you turn into your state DMV. Otherwise they wanted to tax me at the 25% higher US dollar rate.

This one just recommendation. Right before you cross into the US, change the digital speedo to miles so that the very first US entry is in miles not kilometers. Even if you stop for a flat repair and some tireshop guy records your mile in miles not noticing you have KM set, that ends up complicating your car report. Especially experian, they don't know how to handle KM. Carfax does thankfully.

Another recommendation I give everyone is don't lie to customs people... they already think everyone is lying and you would make their day if they catch you just be honest.

The 1M has a decal under the hood near the back that says it conforms to US and California standards. This decal is very helpful and customs looks for it to simplify things. I helped someone once and I noticed in the car pictures that it was missing after a hood replacement. The seller didn't even know it existed, but it's helpful when importing, so they ordered the correct decal and put it back on.

Again, I tell everyone I am not a professional and not doing this as a paid service just helping out the community. I have been pretty busy with my paid job so it's always possible things have changed but this is the best information I have.

By having the BMW letter of compliance, you are way ahead of most. Especially now it might take longer to get one.

I hope I answered your question.

Last edited by nachob; 04-05-2020 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #21
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nachob is correct.

I just posted my 2011 1M AW for sale.
Quote:
Thank you both! Ultimately I am holding out for a non-nav example as the addition forces the sale of my Z4M coupe. I appreciate the nice examples folks have shared with me however the search continues...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
93tankus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Hey 86!

You probably already saw this...and it’s a little bit above your 50K limit...but it’s non-nav and manual seats.

Might be able to talk them down a little bit?

https://www.paulmilleraudi.com/used/...932b16c39f.htm

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00