BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #1
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Graphite E92 335i N54 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
FS: 335i complete brake (4x calipers 4x rotors plus pads)

Selling complete E92 335i factory brake kit, will come with 4x calipers, 4x rotors, and OEM brake pads.

Price: $650
Contact no.: 0435 378 857
Shipping: Willing to ship Australia wide at buyer's expense

Front rotors are DBA slotted and dimpled, rear rotors are OEM Brembo blanks.

Serves as a bolt-on upgrade for many lower models BMW's, pretty much compatible with all E82, E84, E87, E88, E90, E90, E91, E92, E93 BMW's.

Front rotor size is 348x30

Rear rotor size is 338x22

*Calipers were painted 3 years ago, they've accumulated some small stone chips over the years, so could do with a touch up.

Sparkling Metallic Graphite 335i Coupe 6MT (Build Thread) | MHD Custom Tune | Wagner EVO2 FMIC | Íhlins R&T coilovers with 8/14 Swift springs | Dinan Camber Plates | Rear HardRace fully ball-jointed toe arms, upper camber arms and guide rods | Front M3 control arms with Monoballs ball-joints | M3 Steering rack with servotronic retrofit | E93 M3 Front & Rear Sway Bars | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | HEL Performance SS braided brake lines | 19" BMW 437M wheels | BMW P steering wheel | CIC+Combox retrofit

Last edited by PeterY; 05-20-2020 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Just noticed photos weren't loading, all fixed now.
Sparkling Metallic Graphite 335i Coupe 6MT (Build Thread) | MHD Custom Tune | Wagner EVO2 FMIC | Íhlins R&T coilovers with 8/14 Swift springs | Dinan Camber Plates | Rear HardRace fully ball-jointed toe arms, upper camber arms and guide rods | Front M3 control arms with Monoballs ball-joints | M3 Steering rack with servotronic retrofit | E93 M3 Front & Rear Sway Bars | Nolathane rear subframe bushings | HEL Performance SS braided brake lines | 19" BMW 437M wheels | BMW P steering wheel | CIC+Combox retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
par1
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330i

Hey, do all the OEM pads have plenty of meat (F&R)? Also, how old are the rotors?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
PeterY
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by par1 View Post
Hey, do all the OEM pads have plenty of meat (F&R)? Also, how old are the rotors?
Cheers
I am going to write a very comprehensive answer, cause then I can link people to this thread instead of answering individually every time, cause I get asked the same questions over and over in pm's.

Rear rotors were installed in late 2018, they are OEM Brembo replacement. I don't know the exact kilometres on them but wouldn't be much, as I bought a car to daily and stopped daily'ing the 335i a while back.

Photos of the rear rotors when they were new:

The front rotors were installed in early 2019.

Photos of the front rotors when they were new:

The best way to judge the conditions of rotors is to look at the edges. The brake pad contact patch doesn't cover the whole face of the rotor, instead it leaves a tiny piece at either edge where it doesn't make contact at all. So best way to judge rotor wear/condition, is to look if the rotors have a protruding lip at each edge (that'd be the full original thickness of the rotors, as the pads don't contact these edges).

An example of pad-rotor contact patch:

I took close photos of the edges on my rotors, the rear has no lip at all, feels smooth when you pass your fingers on them, just like they were when they were new. The fronts have a very small lip, can't be seen in the photos but they can be felt very slightly (feels like 0.1-0.2mm to me).

Close up photo of rear rotors:

Close up photo of front rotors:

BMW says that the front rotor full thickness is 30mm, you're allowed to go 2.4mm under the full thickness, so 27.6mm is minimum thickness permitted for the front.

For the rears the full thickness is 22mm and you're allowed to go 2.4mm under the full thickness, so the minimum thickness permitted is 19.6mm.

A screenshot below straight out BMW ISTA/D that I have (official BMW factory manual).

For the front rotors:

For the rear rotors:

I haven't measured them, cause I need to buy a new caliper, mine isn't working atm, but worn rotors are very obvious by how the edges feel and look. You're more than welcome to bring a caliper with you and come measure them yourself.

Just to give you an example of what worn rotors look like, just a photo from the internet (this aren't the rotors I am selling):

You can see how the rotor is worn in the centre, and has two massive lips on each end.

To answer your question about the rear pads, they've got the same life as front pads in my original post above.

A word about the 335i factory brakes in general:

I saw in another post that you got an E87 130i, my guess is that you're looking for factory bolt-on brake upgrade. Realistically your options are E8x 135i brakes or E9x 335i brakes.

It's no secret that 335i stock brakes are significantly more capable than the 135i stock Brembo's, not everything with Brembo decals is track ready brake setup! The Brembo's that were fitted to the 135i are just their most basic mediocre factory line, kinda of like the Commodire Redline SSV Brembo's.

135i has small rotors and small calipers, which can't dissipate heat quick enough given the weight and speed of those cars, and end up overheating the calipers and melting the piston boots at the track (26mm thick rotors at the front are to blame for this, my Jap econobox daily beater has thicker rotors, @28mm haha ).

Heaps of 135i owners have melted their piston boots, and damaged the pistons, heaps of threads around, link to someone that has melted/cracked the piston boots on their 135i at the track: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1533946

The 335i calipers on the other hand, are the same design as the calipers that came on the E9X M3 and E82 1M (all were made by ATE), they have a fantastic feel with the right pads, thanks to the massive single sliding piston. They'll perform even better on a lighter car like a 130i. 130i also uses the same brake master cylinder as the 335i, so you'll have a complete factory setup with no compromises.

Even the front brake pads are interchangeable between 335i and M3/1M calipers. The factory part no. for the front pads is different, because the M3 uses a different pad compound, but physically both pads are identical size, and they will fit into either calipers. Ferodo and Project Mu list the same upgraded part no. for the 335i and M3 front pads.

Rotor size across other performance cars for comparison:

-E9X 335i: F 348x30 R 336x22
-E82/E9X 1M/M3: F 360x30 R 350x24
-W204 C63 AMG: F 360x36 R 330x26
-EVO X: F 350x30 R 330x24
-E8X 135i: F 338x26 R 324x22 (bizzare how the front rotors are only 26mm thick on a car like this)

Take a close look at E92 M3 front calipers, identical to 335i ones, both made by ATE. M3 calipers won't fit non-M cars, cause the mounting holes on the knuckles are different (E9x M3 uses completely different knuckles)

Last edited by PeterY; 05-22-2020 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
par1
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330i

Mate! What a write up! I learnt a few things so thanks.
I'm interested but need to a full service with Advan. I suspect the rear pads and disc need replacing which is practically what you're asking. Will let you know
Appreciate 0