BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #89
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking at my tires the other day, and realized that I'm going to be due for a new set VERY soon. Currently, there are a set of Goodyear 205/50 R17's on my 128i. Has anyone played with tire sizes for this? Need to do this before the car becomes due for inspection this year.

Last edited by cpnbnanamn; 02-24-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #90
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking at my tires the other day, and realized that I'm going to be due for a new set VERY soon. Currently, there are a set of Goodyear 205/50 R17's on my 128i. Has anyone played with tire sizes for this? Need to do this before the car becomes due for inspection this year.
You have four wheels the same size(widths) ? Or do you have the sport wheels with a staggered setup ?

I'll assume you have the square, same width setup. So you have 205/50R17's on all four corners.
You could also go with 225/45R17s on all four corners as well. Go visit Tire Rack for more tire research. I really LOVE the Michelin PSS tire. In the wintertime I have Michelin Alpin's on my "other" BMW and really love them too.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #91
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I'll assume you have the square, same width setup. So you have 205/50R17's on all four corners.
You could also go with 225/45R17s on all four corners as well. Go visit Tire Rack for more tire research. I really LOVE the Michelin PSS tire. In the wintertime I have Michelin Alpin's on my "other" BMW and really love them too.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html
You would be correct. 205/50ZR17's on all 4 corners. I was looking at TR, and they suggested 205/50R17 for the front, and 225/45ZR17 for the rear..
I need to do this soon.. Brakes need redone, and I'm undecided there (what to upgrade for now), and I need new tires while I'm at it. All this has to be done before inspection is due.
      04-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #92
mrvco
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I'm in the same situation. My all season RFT's are at the end of their useful life. I've been running non-RFT Ice-X snow tires in the winter.

I'd like a more performance oriented summer tire (square setup), but I'm hesitant to go to non-RFT performance tires without replacing the sub-frame bushings.

I don't see any mention of replacing the sub-frame bushings in this thread, so I'm wondering if the Pilot Sports would benefit from the stiffer bushings or whether the PS3's are stiff enough that it isn't a concern.
      04-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #93
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
I'm in the same situation. My all season RFT's are at the end of their useful life. I've been running non-RFT Ice-X snow tires in the winter.

I'd like a more performance oriented summer tire (square setup), but I'm hesitant to go to non-RFT performance tires without replacing the sub-frame bushings.

I don't see any mention of replacing the sub-frame bushings in this thread, so I'm wondering if the Pilot Sports would benefit from the stiffer bushings or whether the PS3's are stiff enough that it isn't a concern.
At first I just replaced my RFT's with non RFT Michelin PS3's. The car handled fine. There is a little bit less initial turn in response - like I posted. And after a few months.... yea... the rear axle felt like it was held in by rubber bands. This was really more noticeable bc of my SW stage II tune than bc of the tires. So I also upgraded to the M3/1M rear subframe bushings(RSB). I am happy with the way the car handles. Although next on my List of to-do's are new shocks and springs. Its really a deep rabbit hole. One thing(mod) turns into some other mod.

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do, for an improving the driving characteristics of the car. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's. RFT's felt/drove like square blocks instead of rubber tires. You can really notice the difference even on low speed small bumps.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #94
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
At first I just replaced my RFT's with non RFT Michelin PS3's. The car handled fine. There is a little bit less initial turn in response - like I posted. And after a few months.... yea... the rear axle felt like it was held in by rubber bands. This was really more noticeable bc of my SW stage II tune than bc of the tires. So I also upgraded to the M3/1M rear subframe bushings(RSB). I am happy with the way the car handles. Although next on my List of to-do's are new shocks and springs. Its really a deep rabbit hole. One thing(mod) turns into some other mod.

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do for the way the car drove. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's.

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings

Dackel
I finally decided to go with Michelin PSS's and did the Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors along with Street Performance pads. So far, I'm supremely happy. Wasn't aware of the need to change out the bushings for non-RFT's.
I also went and got the MyCarly app with BT connector, and made a few changes.. But yeah.. I'm bitten.. What mod to do next? I REALLY think I want to change out the headlights for projectors with angel eyes, and HID's, then worry about the tune, bushings, etc. It handles REALLY well now.. and SO much quieter!!
      07-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #95
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

Quote:

Really... getting rid of RFT's was the best thing I could do, for an improving the driving characteristics of the car. The tires felt like they were made out of rubber as opposed to the hard as rocks(and heavy as them!) stock RFT's. RFT's felt/drove like square blocks instead of rubber tires. You can really notice the difference even on low speed small bumps.
+1, I just did the same and best money I ever spent. Now I've got some almost new RFT to throw up on the classified section.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #96
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopaw View Post
+1, I just did the same and best money I ever spent. Now I've got some almost new RFT to throw up on the classified section.
Yep, regular tires are the way to go!

Btw... what tires did you go with)brand/model)? Also 225/255's ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #97
coopaw
Rep
Drives: 2011 328x1 & 2013 135i vert

I went with PS3+ A/S and I stuck with the sizes that came on the car and did not increase to 225/255.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #98
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopaw View Post
I went with PS3+ A/S and I stuck with the sizes that came on the car and did not increase to 225/255.
Ahhh Ok. So all season PS3's. (non run flats) 215/245's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #99
Mors
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, '13 135i

Sorry to Necro this a bit, but are you still running the PSS on yours @dackelone?

I'm trying to decide between them and the Firehawk indy 500 (the car, recently purchased, came with not matched runflats, sadly with a ton of tread left). Back when I put tires on my M3 (2002-2012), the only sane choice was PSS, but tirerack seems to think these other tires are 90-95% of the performance for half the price which is quite the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #100
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mors View Post
Sorry to Necro this a bit, but are you still running the PSS on yours @dackelone?

I'm trying to decide between them and the Firehawk indy 500 (the car, recently purchased, came with not matched runflats, sadly with a ton of tread left). Back when I put tires on my M3 (2002-2012), the only sane choice was PSS, but tirerack seems to think these other tires are 90-95% of the performance for half the price which is quite the difference.
I have had three sets of PS3's and last year I went with PS4's(not the very new PS4S's). I am very happy with the Michelin PS4 tires in the same sizes in this thread: 225 & 255's. I am very much sold on Michelin tires. Not just for their great grip in the dry and wet... but how they behave to their very end of their thread life. No (bearing like)noises after 70% worn... they just plain work as great as when they were new all the way to the end of their tire life. And their traction in the wet is astounding. I really love them.

I would go with PSS or PS4s - without a doubt the best tires on the market.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #101
Mors
Rep

After getting past the huge amount of pushback I was getting from the guy at the Indy, the tires have been really great.

Its really night and day and they felt so stable this weekend driving in the rain. I guess I don't really understand what the massive downside to them is (as expressed to me by the Indy) since I heard zero rubbing and I noticed no odd behavior.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #102
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
After getting past the huge amount of pushback I was getting from the guy at the Indy, the tires have been really great.

Its really night and day and they felt so stable this weekend driving in the rain. I guess I don't really understand what the massive downside to them is (as expressed to me by the Indy) since I heard zero rubbing and I noticed no odd behavior.
??? Why ? Because of the 255's on a 8.5 inch wheel ?

Even BMW themselves have mounted a 255 tire on a 8.5 inch wheel on the X3 and some F30 3er's(I think). Some shops over here also balk at putting a 255 tire on the stock wheel bc the wheel/tire books all say you can only go up to a 245 tire... but once you tell them the car has US Military registration(papers) they will do it. They just don't want to get in trouble with the German TUV or Polizei. I still don't understand why bc even BMW themselves use a 255 tire on a 8.5 inch rear wheel.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #103
Mors
Rep

Quote:
??? Why ? Because of the 255's on a 8.5 inch wheel ?

Dackel
I would assume. They seemed to be sort of generically against it, and that i wouildnt need it since I dont plan on tracking the car. But I want to say they are the best thing I could have done.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #104
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I would assume. They seemed to be sort of generically against it, and that i wouildnt need it since I dont plan on tracking the car. But I want to say they are the best thing I could have done.
I agree. I love the way my car handles with the beefier tire setup on stock wheels. Plus it looks way better too.

225's & 255's...
Name:  IMG_0053.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  88.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #105
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

225/40 MPSS fronts - after 21,000 miles and no rotation, noticed some cords showing on the inner shoulders when I changed the oil this weekend. Car was in the shop a month ago, and they didn't mention it, so must be a pretty new development. (N55 E88 - Dinan camber plates; I think I'm set about 1.6-1.7 deg negative. Perhaps I'll have them back it off to around -1.3. Though I don't think 21k mi is too bad on a set of Super Sports on this car.)
Love 'em so much, I'm replacing tires with the same thing again.

I didn't see any such nonsense on the rears when I did the brakes 3 weeks ago. They are getting near the wear bars, but not quite there. Winter is mostly over, so I'm going to see if I can stretch them through, or at least into, the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #106
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
225/40 MPSS fronts - after 21,000 miles and no rotation, noticed some cords showing on the inner shoulders when I changed the oil this weekend. Car was in the shop a month ago, and they didn't mention it, so must be a pretty new development. (N55 E88 - Dinan camber plates; I think I'm set about 1.6-1.7 deg negative. Perhaps I'll have them back it off to around -1.3. Though I don't think 21k mi is too bad on a set of Super Sports on this car.)
Love 'em so much, I'm replacing tires with the same thing again.

I didn't see any such nonsense on the rears when I did the brakes 3 weeks ago. They are getting near the wear bars, but not quite there. Winter is mostly over, so I'm going to see if I can stretch them through, or at least into, the summer.

My front tires never wear the inside area. Sounds like too much negative camber. I'm running a stock suspension, but this summer I will probably will upgrade.

As for your rears... IF you are close to the wear bars... just buy new tires. The tire compound gets harder with age(especially as you get down to the wear bars) so you have less traction/grip. Also summer time also means rain... and you don't want to wreck your car in a bad rain storm. Just buy new rubber.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #107
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
My front tires never wear the inside area. Sounds like too much negative camber. I'm running a stock suspension, but this summer I will probably will upgrade.

As for your rears... IF you are close to the wear bars... just buy new tires. The tire compound gets harder with age(especially as you get down to the wear bars) so you have less traction/grip. Also summer time also means rain... and you don't want to wreck your car in a bad rain storm. Just buy new rubber.

Dackel
Summer hasn't meant Rain for me here in Nor Cal for many several years...
Hopefully we Will get one more good storm this spring. But that remains to be seen.
My supplier says there's a $100 rebate on a set of 4 MPSS right now, but I really don't have the scratch to go replacing non critical items just yet - wife finally started working after some 18 months off. If I can put off the rears just a month or two, I won't need to dig into the "vacation" fund (upcoming family weddings, this year) to keep the 1'er on the road.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #108
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I've been running PSS 225/255 for about 2 years now and have loved them.
I need to replace them when I put summers back on in a few days.
Any feedback on the newer Michelins?
I am sold on Michelin tires, so it's either PSS or one of the newer ones.
These are 7-8 month/year dedicated summer street tires, so all-seasons need not apply.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #109
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
These are 7-8 month/year dedicated summer street tires, so all-seasons need not apply.
I have Michelin PS4 tires. Not to be confused with the PS4S tires.

PS4S are suppose to replace the PSS tires. I think either one would be a sound choice.

Someone recently posted that the PS4 is a comfort sporty tire. Oddly enough that is what I first noticed last year with I drove off the "tire lot" with the PS4 tires. The ride was really quite good. I really could not tell the difference in performance compared to my PS3 tires. PS3's are no longer available here in Germany. Its funny bc today I just ordered four new PS4 tires.

I think PSS tires are a cut above the PS4 tires. That is IF you can still get them. I suspect soon you only can get PS4S.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #110
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I have Michelin PS4 tires. Not to be confused with the PS4S tires.

PS4S are suppose to replace the PSS tires. I think either one would be a sound choice.

Someone recently posted that the PS4 is a comfort sporty tire. Oddly enough that is what I first noticed last year with I drove off the "tire lot" with the PS4 tires. The ride was really quite good. I really could not tell the difference in performance compared to my PS3 tires. PS3's are no longer available here in Germany. Its funny bc today I just ordered four new PS4 tires.

I think PSS tires are a cut above the PS4 tires. That is IF you can still get them. I suspect soon you only can get PS4S.

Dackel
Yes, I am looking at the PS4S.
I can still get PSS (for now, anyway), so I was just wondering if I should get them while I can or move on to the PS4S (or any other one, but further investigation has borne out that there really is no other substitute in the Michelin line).
Appreciate 0