BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

I'm right there with you OP, my legs get tight and my lower back screams after a long drive. I came from a Sparco Evo 2 Plus in my old STi. For me, fixed back race seats are by far the most comfy seats.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And also, try driving with the seat heating on.

Got it switched on (full power - three stripes) virtually always whatever the season. Kinda relaxing. My wife doesn't like it, though.
Artemis, you could start another thread titled "some like it hot". Well, be careful. There are some researches made about car seat heating issue and the results showed that men are vulnerable to this facility. Nuts area for obvious reasons. Fertility and testesteron level wise, prolonged or high temperature type of use of seat heating may be a problem, they say. But maybe you are trying to use them as an indirect birth control device, if so then tell me if it works or not so I may start considering it as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #25
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I find the seats quite comfortable...

I have driven long stretches (10 hours +) in my 135 and found them very comfortable. I wish the BMW Performance seats were available here! I got to ride in a 1M with them around the Nurburgring, and they were fantastic!

The only issue I have with the seats is that there is something lumpy under the leather in the middle of the seat on the rearmost top surface of the seat base... so where your tailbone would be. I checked other cars at the dealership, and all of the 1 series cars had this lump.

You can't feel it, so I guess no big deal.

It is a good thing the car drives so well, as the fit and finish really is not up to the price of the car. I was cleaning the AC vents the other day and thinking that they look like they DeLoreaned (as in back to the future) them in from the 80s.

My VW Golf is nicer inside than my 1M, but my Golf does not offer a driving experience that makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis. While sliding around corners at ridiculous speeds, with the balance that the 1M offers, the AC vents could be cow sphincters, and it would not matter!

B
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
Its the lower back support that I seem to be missing, and the lumbar doesn't seem to help much. It just feels like a lump in the seat rather than uniform support. Could do with more shoulder support in the corners as well, although I'd got used to Pole Positions on my 993 which are hard to beat.

Think the Performance seats are the same as fitted to Evora's and I had one of those for the best part of a day, including a few laps of Silverstone. Was very impressed with them as I can recall, think I might have just persuaded myself.

Wallet about to take another beating perhaps...
In my experience BMW sport seats are really comfortable, once your body has some time to adjust. When I had my E46 325i with sport seats, my lower back would get some discomfort. This went on for a couple of months until my body finally adjusted to the seat contours. I agree, there is a lack of lower back support regardless of the adjustable lumbar adjustment. I didn't use the lumbar then and I don't use it now with my 135i as I can't find any position that is good.

BTW, I too have disc issues with L3/L4 L5/S1.
In my current 135i my settings have NO lumbar, sides completely out as far as they can be, and the thigh extension fully out.

Make sure your clutch leg isn't overextending as that can affect your lower back. When you work the clutch your leg extensions can affect the muscles in your lower back, so make sure you set the set so that your clutch leg isn't getting extended too far. Make sure you still have some bend in your knee so that your lower back doesn't have to rotate a bit to accommodate. Also, take note of the angle at which your butt is in relation to your clutch leg. IT might help if you raise the seat or lower to get a natural extension of you leg without having your back involved in a discomforting way.

BTW, the new sport seats in the new 3, FANTASTIC! I can't say enough positives as to how great, wonderful, amazing, COMFORTABLE the new sport seats are. BMW have out done themselves with the new seats.
The odd lower back curve is no longer there. The cushion now beautifully contours to the lower back with no lumbar cushion added or needed.
The width on the sides is a bit wider, or perhaps wraps better, but they hold me better. The whole seat is just spectacular, for me anyway.
IN fact, these new sport seats are so good, that a new 335i may be my next car. BMW doesn't have a new 1/2 series ready yet, so I may go with the new 3 sedan for the next 3yrs and see what BMW has with the new 1/2 series coupe.

Hey, maybe you can get a set of the new seats and put them in your 1M. Costly proposition, but the comfort is amazing. Give it a few months and maybe you can find a set at a junk yard. The 3 sells in higher volumes, so more likely to find some seats once the model has been out for a bit.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

[QUOTE=bueller;11661829

While sliding around corners at ridiculous speeds, with the balance that the 1M offers, the AC vents could be cow sphincters, and it would not matter!

B[/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Artemis, you could start another thread titled "some like it hot". Well, be careful. There are some researches made about car seat heating issue and the results showed that men are vulnerable to this facility. Nuts area for obvious reasons. Fertility and testesteron level wise, prolonged or high temperature type of use of seat heating may be a problem, they say. But maybe you are trying to use them as an indirect birth control device, if so then tell me if it works or not so I may start considering it as well.
One German experimental research in 2008 seems indeed to have come to that conclusion. If confirmed by other studies, then I'm toast. Got a daughter with my DNA though.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2632...cientists.html
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/08August...hehotseat.aspx
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...fertility.html
      04-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep

For me, they aren't uncomfortable, but for the best driver's car I've ever driven short of a GT3 and Exige, the seats are so below par.
This car should've come with leather wrapped Recaro Sportsters
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #30
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I would have preferred the M3 seats which they did test at one point, there were photos of a mule car with them installed.

In the end the M engineers didnt think they offered enough over the standard sports seats. There will be a reference to this from Scott26 somewhere to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
I would have preferred the M3 seats which they did test at one point, there were photos of a mule car with them installed.

In the end the M engineers didnt think they offered enough over the standard sports seats. There will be a reference to this from Scott26 somewhere to confirm this.
They are also bulkier and probably heavier than the standart sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
mm1
Private
Rep
Drives: exE90 M3/ now1M

I agree that this special car should have had the performance seats in base equpiment, as in RS Audi models or AMG C class. Same goes for other M cars. Or at least the possibility to spec them as an option, not that I have to buy additional seats for my otherwise perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks for all the replies folks. Went for a long drive on Sunday (200 miles), and that made my decision. Performance seats ordered this morning.

Hi RPM90, thats more or less how I have the seat, lumbar support actually backed out, bolsters wide, with a decent bend in my leg at full extention. Tried many combinations of seat height and angle too.

Inflating the lumbar support would give temporary relief, but then just feel like a lump in my spine.

Hopefully new seats will sort it, and address a shortfall in a great car. Disappointed that BMW didn't put better seats in this car to start with.

Now to find somewhere to resew them with orange stitching.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

love the sport seats, did 12 hrs straight in them without an issue, easily the most comfortable seats iv ever sat in.
2009 BSM lci e90 335i 6mt xdrive - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
I agree that this special car should have had the performance seats in base equpiment, as in RS Audi models or AMG C class. Same goes for other M cars. Or at least the possibility to spec them as an option, not that I have to buy additional seats for my otherwise perfect car.
Actually the RS3 and TTRS, the recaro's are an expensive optional extra, they come with a sport seat standard......
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

If one of you guys with the stock manual seats does get around to changing them, drop me a pm if you're selling. I've got the stock electric seats, but I've found I could use the extra helmet room from the manual seats...
      04-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Man... you must be wearing your Nomex undies! I like driving with heated seats on too... but after about 40 seconds on three bars my butts on fire! I can only handle one bar from time to time. Also... it seems like when its really cold outside... the heat output from the heated seats is a lot hotter when when temps are above freezing. Might the heated seats have a two stage output?

LOL no doubt! I put the seats on 1 and they are warm.. 2 was toasty and burning my backside.... used three once and wondered how I came to be sitting on the surface of the sun..

so far I find the seats comfortable.. have driven one 10-12 hour stretch with no issues.. sat in traffic for over an hour yesterday ( moved less than 400 yards in that hour per my GPS) on what originally should have been a 3.5 hour drive and felt pretty good when I got home.

I pump up the bolsters for autocross and track on occasion..but not all the time.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-02-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #38
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H
Thanks for all the replies folks. Went for a long drive on Sunday (200 miles), and that made my decision. Performance seats ordered this morning.

Hi RPM90, thats more or less how I have the seat, lumbar support actually backed out, bolsters wide, with a decent bend in my leg at full extention. Tried many combinations of seat height and angle too.

Inflating the lumbar support would give temporary relief, but then just feel like a lump in my spine.

Hopefully new seats will sort it, and address a shortfall in a great car. Disappointed that BMW didn't put better seats in this car to start with.

Now to find somewhere to resew them with orange stitching.
good choice, you will not regret it! I had them in my 335 and now have them in my 1M as well. They are more comfortable and give a much better side support. I prefer the alcantara as well.
They make the driving even more enjoyable!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Hey guys, from a medical viewpoint, if you're having prolapsed disc problems and sciatic symptoms, sports cars place additional stress on your lower back by having your legs straight out. The 1 is not that bad, as I find it to be quite upright. However, you could adjust your seats to sit taller/higher. You'll feel like you're riding a bus, but it will put less stress on those discs.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #40
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

PeteH, you have PM.
Appreciate 0