BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Question: Does Included 1M iPod cable fit iPhone 4S?

My car is a stripper and has no USB port but it came with an iPhone/iPod cable in the glove box. I know I can't connect the USB to charge my iPhone 4S but I should be able to plug it to the Auxiliary jack and play music. I can't seem to get the cable to go in. Sometimes even the connector/charge cable that came with the iPhone gives me a hard time because I also have a tough case on the phone but I can't seem to get the 1M cable into the 4S phone. I don't want to force it. The main difference I see is that the connector that comes with the iPhone is round on the ends and the BMW connector is square on the ends. I think the square ends are preventing it from going in.

Does anyone know if the 4S takes a different cable or if it should work?

Thank you.

Last edited by nachob; 04-04-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Not sure on specific 1M fitment, but I can answer the iPhone thing. The iPhone has had the same syncing/charging cable in all models since the beginning of the iPhone, and that was taken from the iPod, which is older, and also incorporated the same iPhone/iPod charger as the current ones today. iPad uses the same plug too, but requires a higher wattage power brick to charge it.

So in ending, i'd remove 4s from said case, and try hooking it back into plug on the BMW, turned face down and face up. If that doesn't fit i'd say it must fit some other device. Can you take a pic of the plug?
      04-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

BMW OE iPod/iPhone Y Cable Fitting iPhone 4S - MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Not sure on specific 1M fitment, but I can answer the iPhone thing. The iPhone has had the same syncing/charging cable in all models since the beginning of the iPhone, and that was taken from the iPod, which is older, and also incorporated the same iPhone/iPod charger as the current ones today. iPad uses the same plug too, but requires a higher wattage power brick to charge it.

So in ending, i'd remove 4s from said case, and try hooking it back into plug on the BMW, turned face down and face up. If that doesn't fit i'd say it must fit some other device. Can you take a pic of the plug?
Thanks, I figured it out. The metal part of the connector is identical to the Apple brand connector but the Apple one is rounded on the ends on the iPhone 4S. The BMW one is square and wouldn't go into my iPhone 4S because it has the rounded shape on the case.

I took a Dremel and rounded out the edges on the factory Y cable and it plugged in perfectly with perfect sound!!!

I was just going to buy another adapter but started to read about problems with cheap ones where they would hum due to engine noise or not charge correctly. I figured BMW adapter was better.

Just slightly round out the edges and it fits iPhone 4S perfectly. The sound is great too! No humming, no interference, great crisp sound!

Here is Apple Connector:

Here is iPod/iPhone cable that comes with 1M:

Appreciate 0