BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Suspension weight saving!

Hi everyone!
I have been MIA for a while on here haha, but still enjoying my car. I recent decided to go from progressive to a linear spring on my KW v1 coilovers. Thanks to Harold at hpautosport I was able to figure out everything I need. I went with a 280 lbs linear front spring since that's what my kW spring is rated at and didn't want to mess with the valving of my shocks since they are at a set damping. The car drives amazing now and is way more responsive. I was able to save over 2lbs per corner as well so that's almost 5lbs shaved off. I know t doesn't sound like much but to some it matters when doing racing on the track. I realized that I have 8 inch spring now, I may switch to a 7 inch spring so that my adjuster collar for the coilovers sit above the tire so i can fit wider wheels and tires for autocross Having to avoid spacers.

Last edited by kobeballer96; 07-20-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Nice! What prompted you to switch springs? Also, did you change the rear springs or it was probably not worth it?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
Nice! What prompted you to switch springs? Also, did you change the rear springs or it was probably not worth it?

Long story short is I got screwed over by another member on the e90 page when i bought these. I'm not going to throw any names out there because I just don't even want to look back. But the adjuster collar was stuck on the driver side coilover when I got it and it wouldn't go any higher. I wanted to raise my car a tad bit higher since I was running M3 wheels and couldn't do it since it was at a set high on the driver side. Turns out after we cut the collar off last night the teeth behind it were all cross threaded. No good! So right now my car at its lowest setting is a two figure gap and then i got about an inch or movement to raise the car. This is why I want to go with a 7 inch spring now instead so it's at a lower starting height but can still be adjusted inch up if need to be. I order these as replacement parts and at the same time got the swift springs. At the end of the day I lost some money but still came out on top with weight savings. Trying to make the best out of a bad situation lol.
Appreciate 0