BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Lightbulb Scratched the roof of my car trying to remove a Bird Dropping Etch!

Hey Guys..

I got a brand new F30 320i in BSM July 24.

The car's been a nightmare to keep clean. I have to deal with swirls and am so worried about scratching. Everything etches the new paint. Maybe even staring at it can cause an etch

I've already got 3 etches on the paint and I believe it's too far gone. I am currently renting a place so that doesn't help. I'm removed from my griots porter cable buffer, and detailing supplies. I've only been able to work by hand and with what I have.

*Yesterday I got a bird dropping on the roof, and removed it as quickly as I noticed it without scratching. After removing the dropping, I noticed a bad etch. I went at it again with the usual (Zymol HD Cleanse) then when that didn't work. I then used Zymol lehm klay (medium abrasive clay) and stepped up to Meg's Ultimate Compound. I then added some fine polishes, including Meg's Mirror Glaze Machine glaze polish. Added Meg's Mirror Glaze #26 Hi-tech wax and thought I was done. Granted it was getting dark, I was losing visibility..I thought I removed the blemish. Spent just about 2 hours working on the paint.

Today I look at the area and noticed a marred and scratched paint surface. The Bonus: the etch is still there. Now I have to get back to work to remove the mess I made. The etch. Not sure if that can be removed. I live in Wilkes Barre, PA at the moment so it wasn't that hot out. It's not a tremendous etch, but I don't think I can remove it by hand. I may have to take it to a detailer just to fix the affected area. Wet sanding may be an option.

I never considered myself to be a good detailer....but after scratching the hell out of my roof. I realized that I'm just plain bad. A novice.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)

Last edited by Uptempo80; 09-04-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Based on the products and method you used, I don't understand how you're saying that you've damaged the paint. I understand that the etch may not come out, but are you saying that you've created additional maaring in the paint surface?

Wetsanding on the factory clear generally isn't recommended as it's notoriously thin, but a good shop may be able to work some miracles for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I corrected the problem using a bunch of garage-find products I've recently used on my daily driver hatchback which is ebony black.

I believe the scratches could be from the Meg's Ultimate Compound and the marring is from the Zymol lehm klay. This clay has created some marring on my 1 series, so it was no surprise to me.

Hand Application: I started by using Turtle wax premium grade polishing compound. I applied 2 thorough applications and 1 light application. I used more product because the marring quickly was polished away. The scratches were gone and about 95% of the etch was gone. I followed up with some excess stuff that wasn't necessary but possibly added some pop to the finish. 1 light coat of Meg's ColorX and 2 light applications of Prima Amigo. Then 1 coat of Meg's Mirror Glaze #26 High-Tech Yellow Wax.

I got another pea-sized dropping Etch off the trunk using just the Polishing compound, Prima Amigo, and #26 wax.

On a side note I detailed the entire car again today with Optimum No-Rinse and Meg's final inspection detailer. Car looks very good. The effort and results were good enough to please me lol .

With all that said, in the near future I will complete a full detail using a bunch of premium products with my porter cable. I have to get a new supply of all the pads, so I will try to add some new detailing products while I'm at it. Mainly polishes/glazes and a good swirl remover product. I plan on using my Zymol Destiny Glaze as a wax.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)

Last edited by Uptempo80; 09-03-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, if you're a Meguiar's fan, you should check out the M105/205 combo. It's one of the top polishing combos on the market right now for good reason.

The 105 is more aggressive and is intended for light to moderate correction. However, it can be used all the way down to a finishing polish if you work it enough- that's a pretty cool feature of the product. The 205 is meant as a finishing polish only. From what you're describing, it sounds like the etching may be correctable with the 105 and then finished down with the 105.

As far as pads, you can't go wrong with Lake Country. Stick with the Black/White/Orange (in terms of least to most aggressive). For light correction and polish, the black will work fine with the 205 and the white with the 105. If you need more cutting/correction, bring out the orange pad for the 105.

Here's a good writeup of the combo.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ars-m105-m205/

I would also suggest you try Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant after you correct the paint. It's not cheap but it'll make that paint pop like you won't believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the information! Although I'm not a Meguiars fanatic, I cannot dislike their products. Being readily available helps. I can just make a quick 1 mile trip to the local boutique and get all the premium tan bottle Mirror Glaze products I want. Can't beat that.

I am aware of the M105 and M205 polishes but have yet to try them. I plan on getting them though. #9 Swirl remover is something I plan to get too. Right now All I have avail is the #3 Machine Polish 2.0, #7 polish, and the #26 yellow wax.

I'll definitely purchase the Wolfgang sealant.

Last edited by Uptempo80; 09-04-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80 View Post
Thanks for the information! Although I'm not a Meguiars fanatic, I cannot dislike their products. Being readily available helps. I can just make a quick 1 mile trip to the local boutique and get all the premium tan bottle Mirror Glaze products I want. Can't beat that.
I am aware of the M105 and M205 polishes but have yet to try them. I plan on getting them though. #9 Swirl remover is something I plan to get too. Right now All I have avail is the #3 Machine Polish 2.0, #7 polish, and the #26 yellow wax.
I'll definitely purchase the Wolfgang sealant.
You'll love the sealant. Just be sure to shake it quite a bit as the contents can separate depending on how long it's been sitting there. The consistency should be slightly thick and yellow. If it's watery, shake some more (sometimes takes a few minutes to get it all mixed).

I would definitely suggest ordering a small container of the 105/205 combo- just grab it from Amazon. I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Go to Pep Boys or Walmart and buy the Quixx Scratch Remover. It removed some very heavy scratches from my wife's carbon black Buick Regal. It may take several applications, but keep going at it. Follow up with a polish and wax.
Appreciate 0