terrapen73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Re: Hill-hold function.

This has been a standard feature on most manuals they have sold since the E46 series cars I think. My 2002 M Coupe (E36/8) did not have this function. My 2007 Z4 Coupe has it as did a couple of random 3 and 5 series stick shift cars I have driven from 2004ish on up. I don't know exactly when it started though.

If this is your first time having the function there are a couple of things to be aware of. It only holds the car approximately 3 seconds. Also it can go away if you sit at a light long enough, inching forward or whatever. It is not always there so DO NOT rely on that to save you on a hill. Worst case, use your emergency/parking brake to help hold you in place on a steep/tricky hill and release it as you engage the gear.

Last edited by terrapen73; 02-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #90
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

It also only works when the clutch pedal is pushed down. I never felt the need for it in a car with a manual gear box (even though I live in San Francisco) but I must admit that you get used to it pretty quickly and it works quite well. Only saves you a tiny bit of effort reaching for the hand brake but hey I have not much against that save me effort as long as they don't get in the way of the enjoyment .

I also have to correct myself, with TC off pressing the M button still does make "sport" being displayed in the square text area of the dash unlike what I said before, you just have to wait for a minute or so after you have disengaged the TC for the "DSC Off" that takes over that square text display to disapear. I hadn't noticed because it usually do both (M mode and TC off) at the same time when I want to 'play' rather than cruise.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #91
ruf
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT View Post
For me a novelty was the hill assist function that I never had in any of my cars before. When standing still uphill and release the brake the car remains stationary. Amazing!! I'm sure it's not 1M specific, but a very helpful little thing.

Also, having had my 1M for a month now, I have to say it's the car that has won my heart more than anything I've driven before. I come out of a 997RS and an F430 F1 Coupe, and whereas they may be faster, neither has given me the same joy. I was scared of the 997 RS and it wasn't practical in our climate and it spit me off the road more than once on track. The 430 was friendlier but I felt like an xxx driving it through the city and it was the worst depreciating purchase done by anyone I know. The 1M, on the other hand, is huge fun, won't cost me a penny (even if it wasn't a company car) and gives me more joy than both combined! We are very, very lucky to own them! )
Nice to know our 1M is better than a 997RS and F430 (they are (were) both in my list of dreamcars) !!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #92
JFT
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
Nice to know our 1M is better than a 997RS and F430 (they are (were) both in my list of dreamcars) !!
I'm not sure "better" is the right word. They are both great cars of course and more of an occasion to drive. But the difference is that in the 1M you can hustle it around anytime and anywhere, getting some nice controlled slides. Doing that in a supercar is i) more difficult because of traction, ii) devastating if you get it wrong and iii) you will look like an ass doing it.

= MORE JOY IN THE 1M!

Last edited by JFT; 02-08-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #93
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Some features I discovered only after the first days had passed:
  • [...]
  • activating the steering wheel lock already before getting out of the 1M: after having pushed the stop button, open the driver's door and then push the stop button again; subsequently you'll hear the typical "schlack" sound and the dashboard fully switches off; why practical? well, you can now pull at the locked steering wheel to ease yourself out of the car (oh lazy me)
For those who wouldn't know this gem yet: "pathway lighting" or "walk-me-home lights".

In an area with limited light: after having activated the steering wheel lock as described above (thus with the driver's door open), just before lazily pulling yourself out of the 1M via the locked steering wheel, activate the headlamp flasher with just one touch of the headlamp stalk: the low beams will be activated for the time that you had programmed (I believe that 40 seconds is the standard setting - set mine on 60 seconds during the first days, which is more than sufficient to leave the car, including removing luggage from the boot and/or behind the seats ...and to have a final approving 'Ciao Bella' glance at the 1M in the evening darkness ).

Excerpt from page 95 of the BMW 128i/135i Owner's Manual 2012 (USA) (supplied together with BMW 1M Supplementary Owner's Manual 2011 (USA)) (nota bene: both manuals are available at the manuals sticky http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1):
"Pathway lighting
If you activate the headlamp flasher after switching off the ignition with the lamps switched off, the low beams come on and remain on for a certain time.
Setting duration:
1. "Settings"
2. "Lighting"
3. "Pathway light"
4. Set the duration.
The setting is stored for the remote control currently in use."
...or with the words of 1addicts Maestro Dackel:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
when getting out of the car... with the driver's door open but the car switched off you can flick the high beams on for a second... and then the low beams will stay on for a few minutes. Whatever the time that you program into the BC or iDrive.
      04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #94
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapen73 View Post
Re: Hill-hold function. If this is your first time having the function there are a couple of things to be aware of. It only holds the car approximately 3 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
It also only works when the clutch pedal is pushed down. I never felt the need for it in a car with a manual gear box (even though I live in San Francisco) but I must admit that you get used to it pretty quickly and it works quite well. Only saves you a tiny bit of effort reaching for the hand brake .
I found out a day too late at the SCCA DC Pro Solo last weekend. As the start was on an incline it would have really helped to do my practice starts with this part of my launch. It was only after a fellow 1M owner came up to me and mentioned it Saturday afternoon when I was finished for the day. My first run Sunday I red lighted with a .473 as I tried to embrace the hill holder.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #95
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Cruise control: if you push or pull to the second click your speed will be adjusted by +/- 5 mph. Handy when you see a trooper to quickly set it at exactly the limit or when the limit changes up or down.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #96
Artemis
Rep

For the 1M sound aficionados: sound note during idling

Once the 1M engine is warmed up (after the usual ± 30sec cold start-up rumble sequence - varying rpm to quickly warm up the cats to operating temp):
  • if airco is not operational: idling around 600-650rpm;
  • if airco is operational: idling around 650-700rpm.
So, for those who want the lowest pitched 1M engine sound note during idling: switch off the airco for a slight sound pitch drop (around 50-100rpm less). Eventually resume airco after idling.

OT: mere guess, but I assume normal idling for most Ferrari engines is at least 1200rpm.
      05-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #97
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Just out of curiosity... where exactly are the front fog lights in a 1M?

We don't have them.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #98
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
We don't have them.
Ever wondered why both black front air intake scoops of the 1M are thàt big and have no mesh grille ? Well, hold down the SMGII paddles for ± 5 seconds and the fog lights automatically pop up. To de-activate, push the sunroof button sideways.
      05-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #99
swift_switch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, 993TT

I just had a recent discovery....
Unlocking the car door via key remote, the second i pull on the door handle to enter the car my driver side window retracts half way. In the same event, the passenger window will do the same. However, this does not happen every time.

Can someone please elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #100
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

thats when you press the unlock button twice. this function is good for tight parking spaces so next time you unlock your car press the unlock twice and the windows will come down halfway when you open the door hope this helps! (works with all two door bmws - had this function on my e92)

-kookieshk.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #101
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Function buttons on the radio...

Well I found that if you just place your finger lightly over each programmable button (do not push it), the NAV screen will tell you what is assigned to it and if it is eligible to be assigned to your currently set task.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #102
swift_switch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, 993TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookieshk View Post
thats when you press the unlock button twice. this function is good for tight parking spaces so next time you unlock your car press the unlock twice and the windows will come down halfway when you open the door hope this helps! (works with all two door bmws - had this function on my e92)

-kookieshk.
Thanks a bunch! What a great feature for HK. BTW, you wouldn't happen to be Geo's friend?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #103
kookieshk
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: AW BMW E82 1M

Chris????
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #104
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Just wondering if anyone already used the connection points located behind the rear seats. I assume these are dedicated fixing points for anchoring a top-tether strap of a child seat (to help preventing the child seat with child from rotating forward during an impact). Or, less probable, maybe for an eventual sun protection screen, if ever made available for the 1M by BMW or after-market ?

Attachment 641204
Attachment 641190
Yes indeed, they are top tether straps for child seats, work perfectly - my daughter, almost 2, loves her seat in the back of the M...grins and says "daddy, brrrrrmmmmm".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #105
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but if you start your car and then turn it off, take the fob out and push the engine start button within 10 seconds the car will start again. You can then lock the car with the fob and leave it for a while for it warm it up!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #106
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Well I found that if you just place your finger lightly over each programmable button (do not push it), the NAV screen will tell you what is assigned to it and if it is eligible to be assigned to your currently set task.
Practical feature indeed.

More about the programmable memory keys:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580779
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441091
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652912

And here's the excerpt from the BMW 128i/135i Owner's Manual 2012 (USA) (supplied together with the BMW 1M Supplementary Owner's Manual - see also the manuals sticky: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1)
Name:  ProgrMemKeys.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  108.4 KB
      05-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #107
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Quote:
Practical feature indeed.
More about the programmable memory keys: [...]
Also, if you programmed an address as one of the programmable memory keys: if you keep your finger on the button for more than one second (without pushing the button), it will show the complete address (maximizing the information line), instead of showing the abbreviated address (shown during the first second).
      05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #108
Artemis
Rep

Perpetuum mobile (as long as you got fuel onboard) :)

When slowing down towards walking pace in 1st gear (for example cruising in a parking lot on the lookout for a spot), you can release all pedals without the risk of stalling the engine despite still being in first gear (instead of neutral) and not pushing the clutch. In most cars with manual transmission revs will continue to decrease until the point of engine stall, which is avoided by timely pushing the clutch or putting the gear in neutral.

Not so with the 1M: apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal.

Discovered this because I wanted to find out at what rpm the 1M engine would stall in first gear. To my suprise it did not stall. So I circled a couple of tours in a parking lot, letting it slow down on the straights to the automatic cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph. It is as if you set cruise control at that low speed (which is impossible because inactive under 20mph or 30kph). I guess it only works on flat surfaces in 1st gear (did not test how it reacts on uphill slopes or in 2nd gear).

Try it if you don't believe me.
      05-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #109
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
When slowing down towards walking pace in 1st gear (for example cruising in a parking lot on the lookout for a spot), you can release all pedals without the risk of stalling the engine despite still being in first gear (instead of neutral) and not pushing the clutch. In most cars with manual transmission revs will continue to decrease until the point of engine stall, which is avoided by timely pushing the clutch or putting the gear in neutral.

Not so with the 1M: apparently the engine is programmed to constantly keep up the revs at a minimum level of 700rpm in 1st gear during movement and maintain the constant cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph, as long as you don't interfere the movement by touching any pedal.

Discovered this because I wanted to find out at what rpm the 1M engine would stall in first gear. To my suprise it did not stall. So I circled a couple of tours in a parking lot, letting it slow down on the straights to the automatic cruising speed of 5mph or 9kph. It is as if you set cruise control at that low speed (which is impossible because inactive under 20mph or 30kph). I guess it only works on flat surfaces in 1st gear (did not test how it reacts on uphill slopes or in 2nd gear).

Oh, I will try it as first thing in my parking lot! So cool if it works the way you describe.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #110
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:

True that. I find it comfy during slow moving traffic. FWIW my Audi has it too, so I reckon a lot of manufacturers have this feature.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0