BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Welcome Lamps and Pathway Lighting

Is there any way to have the headlights come on with the Welcome Lights? As it stands now, only the parking lights come on and it would be nice to have the headlights also come on when unlocking the car at night. On that topic, why do the Welcome Lamps come on during the day as well??

Regarding the Pathway Lighting, is there any way to make the lights stay on by themselves at night rather than having to use the flash-to-pass function to activate them? It seems silly that, having automatic lights and all, the car can't just leave the lights on when it's dark out for the user-selected length of time. My previous cars with automatic lights operated this way and it was great.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Mines don't come on during the day unless its really cloudy or kind of overcast.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Your what don't come on during the day, the Welcome Lights? If it's sunny out, you may not notice it unless you're looking for it, but I've noticed it on my car every time I unlock it, whether it's a bright and sunny day or overcast.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have not tested the pathway lighting. But in the menu on the turn signal stalk, or if you have IDrive, there, there should be a timed lighting setting. When it is active, locking the car leaves the headlights on for the specified amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^+1

and... when getting out of the car... with the drivers door open but the car switched off you can flick the high beams on for a second... and then the lowbeams will stay on for a few minutes. What ever the time that you program into the BC or iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
I have not tested the pathway lighting. But in the menu on the turn signal stalk, or if you have IDrive, there, there should be a timed lighting setting. When it is active, locking the car leaves the headlights on for the specified amount of time.
Technically, the Pathway Lighting is activated by the headlight flasher, as Dackel mentioned. However, on my car, the setting you speak off doesn't do what you say (and I think) it should. What happens is this. The Start/Stop button is pressed to shut off the engine and this also shuts off the headlights. The parking lights remain on, but when the driver's door is opened, the parking lights also turn off. Pretty pointless for the lights to remain on to then only shut off when the driver's door is opened.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think it might also matter what position your headlight switch is left in. I always leave my headlights on AUTO bc I like the adaptive (turning) headlights.

The time you set in the BC is for how long the headlights remain on after you flash the headlights with the car off & door open. I am fairly sure you can also have this coded to work with the remote. But I am not 100% sure.

I think what the OP would like is for the headlights to come ON when you unlock teh car from a far. Like the way MB models leave the parking and fog lights on until you open a door.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think it might also matter what position your headlight switch is left in. I always leave my headlights on AUTO bc I like the adaptive (turning) headlights.

The time you set in the BC is for how long the headlights remain on after you flash the headlights with the car off & door open. I am fairly sure you can also have this coded to work with the remote. But I am not 100% sure.

I think what the OP would like is for the headlights to come ON when you unlock teh car from a far. Like the way MB models leave the parking and fog lights on until you open a door.

Dackel
Correct, I would like the headlights to also come on when I unlock the car remotely (the parking lights already do come one in this scenario). I would also like the headlights to stay on after turning off the car rather than having to manually turn them on with the headlight flasher. I seem to recall reading that you can code the car to include various lights as the Welcome Lights; i.e., which lights turn on when you unlock the car.

By the way, I leave my headlight switch in the auto position just about all of the time and have never parked the vehicle without the switch there.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Maddox
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe |AlpineWhite on Red

Coronas and Parking Lights.

Hi there.

My 128i used to Have the Coronas Light and Parking light on with the door handle and plate On when Unlocking the door. At Auto ( Light Switch )
And Since yesterday that function doesn't work anymore I have no Clue What Happened .....
Appreciate 0