BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Dead amp? Replacement?

Recently we had a rather hard rainstorm while I was at work and i believe it has killed my amp? After searching for where the amp is located I learned it is in the left corner near the tail light, that tail light being my LCI backline with a shitty seal. I noticed that area of my trunk was a bit wet and when I tried to use my radio later that day, I had lots of tactic and random noises, even with the radio off. Its now been a while since then and the radio make no sound at all, no sound even without a seatbelt or if the door is open.

I do miss having no radio on long drives, and especially with winter around the corner where i can't just enjoy my exhaust all the time.

Really what I'm asking is whats the easiest way to fix this? I asked BMW and they want around $1200 which seems a bit high. Thanks in advance!

(For reference I have the model that says "BMW Professional" and does have the speakers up on the door)
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #2
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
You could locate one at a pick-a-part lot. If you check on realoem.com you can determine what other BMW models use the same part# amp.

Another option would be to upgrade it to the bimmertech amp. It's available from bavsound but still cost around $1000
      08-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

To elaborate on Gangplank's post, you can get another amp with the same part numbers and such. But that won't be a guarantee it will work. I sold my working stock amp to a forum member here. All the part numbers lined up and I even had a friend who is a BMW tech check VINs to make sure the amp should work. Well it didn't. From what I recall, there needed to be some additional coding or something. Can't remember exactly right now and what the forum member ultimately did to resolve his problem that didn't involve using the amp I sold him.

You can certainly do the BimmerTech amp. I have one in my car that's why I had a stock amp to sell. I actually helped BimmerTech develop the mounting bracket which is now part of the kit. I don't know why Bavsound is charging that much for the BimmerTech amp. If you buy the amp directly from BimmerTech, it's $899. They also have a one time discount code you can get for 10% off which I think you can apply to the purchase of the amp.
Appreciate 0