BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #45
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
How was the install on the big tom intercooler? how much trimmin was actually involved?
+1. Definetly woudl like to know too. Also, how was the combination of the Koni/H&R and how do they feel on normal or "spirited" driving? Your 1er is looking very nice.

Do you have a pic of where you mounted your OCC? Trying to decide where to place mine. Thanks

Nick
      01-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #46
Castr_85M
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW/Fox 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
+1. Definetly woudl like to know too. Also, how was the combination of the Koni/H&R and how do they feel on normal or "spirited" driving? Your 1er is looking very nice.

Do you have a pic of where you mounted your OCC? Trying to decide where to place mine. Thanks

Nick
Hope your enjoying your exhaust. Now i'm in the market for another exhaust since wifey and i agreed i can keep my one if we get one of the new mini cooper 4 door clubman.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #47
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
lol

for the 19th time:

i'm running 16-17 psi of boost. the stock airbox was engineered to provide the n54 with enough air for 7-9 psi of boost. obviously, airflow requirements are higher on tuned vehicles, so dci's are the best option (proven fact btw maxnix).

idk why you insist on trolling my posts and threads. i wonder if you even have a 135i at all. probably drive a corrola and troll the bmw forums for the entertainment. sad, actually
I've got a 135i and think that intake is a lousy piece of engineering as well

The intercooler likely helps mask that inherent problem though out in real world driving. As long as the data logs look okay at that boost level it's probably fine. It's also January though. Wait till July when under hood temps climb past 140* F and see how it runs.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #48
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterfan1230 View Post
that thing is MASSIVE. Must be a good feeling to know you're in warranty and don't have to remove your mods for warranty purpose since your dealer doesn't really care. I need to find a Warranty like that!
thanks....i feel pretty lucky to have the relationship i do with my indy bmw shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofoque View Post
How was the install on the big tom intercooler? how much trimmin was actually involved?
honestly, it was kind of a pain in the ass. luckily, i had my friend from e90post with me and he did most of the work. it's a lot of cutting, trimming, mocking up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post

Nick
thanks, still haven't installed my suspension components, been super busy lately. the OCC was a pretty easy install. i'll snap some pics for you next chance i get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I've got a 135i and think that intake is a lousy piece of engineering as well

The intercooler likely helps mask that inherent problem though out in real world driving. As long as the data logs look okay at that boost level it's probably fine. It's also January though. Wait till July when under hood temps climb past 140* F and see how it runs.
no offense, but you have no clue what you're talking about. i live in houston, it gets over 100 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity. yes, the dci's suck in hotter air. no, it's not worth running the stock airbox at 16-17 psi because of the wastegate duy cycles. the turbo's have to run harder to provide enough air for the boost targets. i don't mind the small disadvantages of sucking in hot air in favor of longer turbo life. i recommend you read these threads to better familiarized yourself with hard data on the dci versus stock airbox arguement.

thread #1
thread #2
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post

no offense, but you have no clue what you're talking about. i live in houston, it gets over 100 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity. yes, the dci's suck in hotter air. no, it's not worth running the stock airbox at 16-17 psi because of the wastegate duy cycles. the turbo's have to run harder to provide enough air for the boost targets. i don't mind the small disadvantages of sucking in hot air in favor of longer turbo life. i recommend you read these threads to better familiarized yourself with hard data on the dci versus stock airbox arguement.

thread #1
thread #2
lets not forget, any hot air gets sucked out of the engine bay within seconds of the engine revving due to the big turbos. Hot air can also escape from the engine bay (which it seems a lot of people forget) The engine bay is not air tight or sealed to keep heat in, what goes in through the front of the car also has to come out, otherwise no cooling would happen, so there's always fresh air in the engine bay. The worst time is at idol, and that's it. And on hot summer days, the cooling system fan kicks in, and bam.... fresh air back in the engine bay even at idol.

Yes the air is slightly hotter. But, funny enough, hot air moves easier then cooler dense air, so as a result, it can suck more in, which is a good thing.

It's a game of give and take with short rams. but the long story made short, a short ram does make power, and decent power at that...
Appreciate 0