BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Jack
Rep
Drives:

Aftermarket Rims: why?

Why would you spend over a thousand dollars on new rims for your 1er when BMW has spent millions in partner with BBS researching the best rims possible for the car?

Someone, please explain.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

cuz you can save about 10lbs per wheel in unsprung weight(if you get light weight wheels), dont have to use run flats(even tho these arent that bad supposedly), AND they look nicer(my opinon)
      01-08-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Wider rims to mount wider tires, particularly in the front, to reduce understeer. Also, lighter wheels are more desirable due to less rolling mass paying bigger dividends in performance. All stock components are a compromise for cost and design. You can't expect all race parts on a stock car, can you?

Some aftermarket wheels will be worse than stock, of course due to weight, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Wider rims to mount wider tires, particularly in the front, to reduce understeer.
And given all the press reports about noticable understeer, this sounds like it will be even more essential than for other BMWs (e.g. my older E46). Of course, this becomes a moot point if one wishes to stay in the SCCA stock Solo2 class, which limits you to stock-width rims. I wonder how much rubber we'll be able to squeeze onto the fronts?

But anyway, to answer the original question, I think you'll find the vast majority of people buying aftermarket rims are just after a particular "look" or want something to distinguish themselves from other 135's on the road, to personalize the car. That's worth the money to them, I assume.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Why would you spend over a thousand dollars on new rims for your 1er when BMW has spent millions in partner with BBS researching the best rims possible for the car?
best rims possible for what type of application?? most here are into modding their cars to make them handle better and quicker and the stock rims are not teh best for that as mentioned above aftermarket rims can be both lighter and wider which means better performance..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i will be keeping stock
and getting some big clunkers for winter
      01-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

It's been said but I'll list my reasons anyway:

1. Weight reduction
2. Enhances performance
3. Aggressive looks
4. Can always sell them so not a total waste of money
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Weight, wider wheels (especially on the front) and Weight...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Mumbles
Rep
Drives:

also forgetting the cool factor
lol! also,rims can tell ya alot about the driver. bling king, racer, richie rich,steath,etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

You really think BMW partnered with BBS for the variety of wheels available for the whole range of the 1-er? The nature of your question is absurd when you say "best rims possible". This implies there is only one ideal design; BMW offers a few handfuls of styles for the 1 series. I'll give you a hint, they're styles, not painstakingly FEA'd to squeeze out ideal cooling, weight, and strength. Their first order of business is to get past the styling department, then they get a quick wash through FEA and DFM. This isn't Formula 1, it's OEM.

Some people want very light yet strong wheels for maximum unsprung mass for autocross or track use; OEM wheels rarely cuz the mustard for such demands. Others demand maximum "bling" and obviously an OEM won't bother entertaining those people either; the OEM will design a wheel that will offend few and be anonymous-enough for most.
      01-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
It's been said but I'll list my reasons anyway:

1. Weight reduction
2. Enhances performance
3. Aggressive looks
4. Can always sell them so not a total waste of money
5. Turn the OEM wheels into your winter set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
ZAMIRZ
Rep
Drives:

Ryan pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's absurd to think BMW and BBS partnered and spent some obscene amount of time/money on R&D of the stock wheels going on the 1-series.

I for one am torn between HRE P40, BBS LM-R (with paint-matched centers) and O.Z. SL-III (again with paint-matched centers). Will wait to see what kind of weight, sizing and high-perf. application best suits my needs.

I also can't wait to mount-up some bitchin high-perf non-runflat tires as well. PS2s anyone???
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:

Someone, please explain.
Wow, what an ignorant post. Some people just prefer to pick their own style of rim. Many times my style is not in sync with what the manufacturers produce.
      01-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #14
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I am sure BMW and whoever did their wheel design did spend lots of time coming up with the design. However, they have to factor in what most people want and also make sure the wheels are strong enough to avoid lots of warrantee issues. If everyone had bent rims all the time, they could not tell you that you were SOL like they can now since it rarely is an issue with stock wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Chibana
Rep
Drives:

It would be better to deal with the understeer via a thicker rear anti-roll bar than increasing the front tire width. Changing tire widths can have undesired consequences on the handling character of a car, and usually manufacturers spend a great deal of time and money researching and testing the tire sizes, make, and model to get just the handling they want. That's not to say that if you really know what you're doing (most don't), you can't make tire changes to tweak the handling to your requirements, but for most people, a thicker rear anti-roll bar is the better route than messing with front tire widths.

Having said that, I would likely get another set of wheels for winter/summer use, but I like the OEM 5-spokes so much that I would probably find some cheaper wheels for winter rather than spend big bucks making modest improvements for summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:

Someone, please explain.
Says who? I think I need two hands to count the number of assumptions in that sentence...:iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibana View Post
It would be better to deal with the understeer via a thicker rear anti-roll bar than increasing the front tire width. Changing tire widths can have undesired consequences on the handling character of a car, and usually manufacturers spend a great deal of time and money researching and testing the tire sizes, make, and model to get just the handling they want.
Yes, but the whole point is we don't want the handling they "want". Why aren't you applying your EXACT same point to sway bars?

***Did they not spend a great deal of time designing the bars to deliver exactly the handling they want? Yet you are so quick to want to change them. Are you saying a bigger swaybar can't also have "undesired consequences"???

Anything you touch can have consequences. Playing with tire widths is just one of many ways to combat understeer, as if springs, bars, alignments, etc....all thing BMW spent time developing to deliver the handling they "want".

Plus there's the fact that a non-staggered setup is worlds more friendly on a tire budget if you're a track-whore....

Best thing I ever did on my S2000...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
terivera
track Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M coupe AW

how much tire can I (an admitted track whore) put under this puppy?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Wow, what an ignorant post. Some people just prefer to pick their own style of rim. Many times my style is not in sync with what the manufacturers produce.

That's a little harsh don't you think? No question is ever stupid as that's how people learn.

In any case, BBS actually manufacturers many OEM wheels for many car makes, which is how they remain in business (although barely considering their resent history). My OEM MINI R99 wheels were made by BBS. Of course they are just simple cast wheels like the BMW OEMs no matter who makes them; therefore nothing special really although the R99s were 2 pounds lighter than the stock sport package wheel. As stated in many posts above there's large merit in many aftermarket makes, especially those makes which pride themselves on leading edge technology and producing a superior product (leaves out most rim [hate that f***ing word] makes which are predominantly in the market for aesthetic reasons targeting mainly the show or "pimp my ride" scene and for people who can't necessarily differentiate quality or feel the affects of a different wheel on the road). It's easily justified to spend thousands on a quality wheel and one that carries a significant return value in the used market, like BBS and especially forged BBS. Damn I think I just talked myself into the RG-R...
      03-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #20
groovyjay
Individual1
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Someone, please explain.

If that was 100% true, these cars would have carbonfiber/kevlar/magnesium LM's on them...

It all comes to cost cost cost...
Appreciate 0