03-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedichurn View Post
I don’t remember when the 1M came out to be honest. I jumped on the bandwagon much later on. So if I get any of the history wrong please don’t burn me. I just speaking of experience about value/investment.

I think at least for me it will hold its value. The way I see it as with anything that hold its value whether it’s a watch, toy, car anything - it has to be limited with a good story behind it and it’s been already praised of how good it is. I think the key is the stories that have been told about it and the stories that are being told now and the future stories that will be told later on that will help the 1M holds its value and most likely push it higher years from now.

When I say stories I mean this - Before it came out certain number people already ordered the 1M, they are already have a preconception on how good the car is even before they drove it. So for a few months all the pre-order owners can do is wait for their cars or some sort of review from journalists. During that wait I’m sure the pre-order owners were a little nervous when they pre-ordered because any human would be without knowing how good or bad the car can be and the amount of money being spent or put down for the 1M.

Then came the reviews from the major journalists, all dropped enormous amount of praise for the 1M, this gave the pre-ordered owners what they needed – CONFIRMATION. Confirmation that they made the correct decision on pre-ordering the 1M. So for a few more weeks to months before the arrival of their cars, the pre-order owners would hunt for more reviews to further confirm their decision is correct and also fuelled their preconception on how good the car will be once they get it.

1M arrival day, when the pre-order owners become owners, all the stories and hype have lead up to this day – and it’s everything they said it would be whether that is true or not in reality it doesn’t matter. In their reality, it is TRUE and that is all that matters.

So going back to the question of value, how does this all tied back together. Because of its limited production number only certain number of people will ever have the chance of owning it and truly know how good it really is or more importantly how good they “think” or “believe” it is. This small group of owners became the voice for the 1M. The belief from these owners will spread their stories of “goodness” of the 1M to other people and mainly when I say other people I mean majority people who don’t own it. And this will start the cycle again of stories being passed on year from year from now.

So because of this story and the rarity of the car I believe it should hold its value. This is my best educated guess, it will probably take a slight hit in the next 2 years because of the M2 and whatever comes next. Then it should start to level out and rise again because of the stories that still will be told about it.

Also remember, people always want what they can’t get. That alone should keep the value at some level.

Anyway, I just acquired a VO 1M so maybe I’m being biased. And yes, the stories are true.

Yes, and there is even more to the story though. BMW had lost its way. Many people like me that wanted an M cars were disappointed with all the heavy bloated options. The M3 was big and heavy. Things were looking bleak and I had written BMW off. Also the economy tanked in 2008 and BMW dealers were giving cars away. When the 1M finally came out, it was the answer to so many of us so it was not just another car but a peace offering to us. Unfortunately, dealers now had a car that everyone wanted and they changed the way they did ED allocations. So dealers got their revenge on many of us and marked up the cars, denied ED to many or forced us to take options we didn't want. I was lucky but had to fight for an ED alllocation that was not fully loaded and had to pay over MSRP. Some got lucky and got good deals or easy sales but many of us were tortured by the dealers. My first 1M was the most miserable buying experience ever and it became the most sweet when I was standing next to it at the Welt. It was such a difficult car to get that it remains special, not just the numbers. There were less 5 series GT coupes made. I think about 120 of them but they aren't worth much. I almost think the 1M saved BMWs reputation. It gave people hope that M still had some pizzaz left. Think about life without the 1M! The E90 was heavy and big and was not the most exciting car in street driving. While the 1M had a few maladies it was the least expensive and was not judged as harshly because it was a baby M.

Then no 1M, just next M3. Vague steering, traction issues at a high cost. It would've really hurt their reputation. Instead the M3 came out with it shortcomings but people believed in the M2 because of the 1M and those that were dissatisfied kept believing and now you have the M2. So the 1M for those that follow M history is a special car. It saved M's credentials in my opinion and brought excitement to those that reviewed it.

2 cents
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #46
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, and there is even more to the story though. BMW had lost its way.

So the 1M for those that follow M history is a special car. It saved M's credentials in my opinion and brought excitement to those that reviewed it.
Exactly. I was very upset at BMW for making only expensive and fat cars and it seemed that they forgot about the enthusiasts. After I sold my 2001 Z3M coupe I was going to the dark side and looking to buy a Cayman S. I did not see anything on the horizon from BMW that interested me. Then in late 2010 I heard a rumor...a 135 massaged by the M division with the current M3 suspension, wheel and brakes and no sunroof with a proper tranny. I called my dealer and they had no clue. I gave them a grand to put me at number one on the list and i told them I would pay sticker. Then the waiting and worry game began...damn I got lucky. Once word got out a few months later my salesman called and wanted to know if I still wanted it...hell yes!!! They wanted to get more than sticker but remained honest and a year after giving them my deposit I was driving my new toy home.

Now hopefully they will make a M2GTS/CSL...
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #47
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

You are right on nachob.

I'd like to add a few things to what has been mentioned.

The 1M is was Test Mule for BMW, testing the idea that the M3 had indeed gotten too big too bloated and out of reach price wise to many. That there was a market for a smaller less expensive M car. If not for Dr. Key Segler the then head of BMW M division this car wouldn't have ever been built.
His team worked after normal hours designing this prototype car, an M car they code named "Pyrat" an M car built from the beginning to be a Pure Enthusiasts car. Thankfully Dr Segler was successful in selling this idea to BMW management as a low production test car.

And while the car was built from Part Bin pieces the M Engineers massaged every part of the 1M to feel like M cars from the past. Cars like the e30 M3 which was a requirement of every engineer who work on the 1M project to drive and try to make the 1M feel as close as possible to e30 M3. The 1M was the first Turbo M car, the first Direct Injected M car the first to add Air Curtain vents in the front bumper and the first M car to Downsize back to about the size of an e34 M3.

Most important of all it was only produced from March 2011 to December 2011 for the North America market, 0nly 740 cars were imported to NA one of witch sits in the Museum at BMW South Carolina.

BMW just copied the production model of the 1M and made the M2 by popular demand. It took 5 years for them to do so. The M2 will no doubt be a fabulous car, yet it still has to deal with more modern items like Electric Steering, Fake Engine Sounds piped into the cabin through the stereo, Fake exhaust burps similar to the M3/M4.

It's my belief that the prices of the 1M may dip for a year or so then go back up again. I am convinced the 1M will Always be on the list of Most Collectible BMW ever.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #48
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Tho I have a 135i the 1M remains my dream car. I contemplate trying to pick one up sometime down the road, or make the mods and upgrades to turn the 135 into something I'll never get rid of. Anyone have a LSD laying around that they aren't using. LOL!!
      03-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #49
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
It's my belief that the prices of the 1M may dip for a year or so then go back up again. I am convinced the 1M will Always be on the list of Most Collectible BMW ever.

This is my belief as well. I think the M2 will affect 1M prices for a little while, but not by a significant amount.
      03-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #50
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
This is my belief as well. I think the M2 will affect 1M prices for a little while, but not by a significant amount.
It's such a small market, and there are no accurate tallies of actual sales statistics. The result is that the only information you can get on this is entirely anecdotal. Other than for a large shift in online asking prices, this will be undetectable to anyone in the market for 1Ms.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #51
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
It's such a small market, and there are no accurate tallies of actual sales statistics. The result is that the only information you can get on this is entirely anecdotal. Other than for a large shift in online asking prices, this will be undetectable to anyone in the market for 1Ms.
There is only 739 of them ever available. Other than online how many do you think are sitting somewhere else for sale? Most dealers also list them online.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #52
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
There is only 739 of them ever available. Other than online how many do you think are sitting somewhere else for sale? Most dealers also list them online.
There is less than 739...some have been completely totaled. Others have been modded to the point of no return...roll bars installed...ouch!!!
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #53
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
It's not hard to figure out what someone's asking price is. In many cases these prices result in cars that do not sell, like some trophy houses in resort areas that remain listed for years, perhaps decades. Is something like this really for sale? Does an inflated asking price that results in no sale merit being considered as any reflection of the item's true worth or value?

Unfortunately, the actual selling prices that those few 1Ms that change hands are sold at -- there is no way that I am aware of to access that data and to arrive at an actual value.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Recently, the sales manager at my local dealer where I found my 1M called me to tell me I have "nothing to worry about." He urged me to hold onto my 1M, not that I was even considering letting it go.

The reason? He had just driven an M2. He also owns an e30 M3!!

What's funny is how many people don't know the neat story of the 1M. Just last week I let my friend drive it, a guy who has owned 4 M cars. He had no idea about how/why it was built, or that production was limited. This story will make its way around the community with time, and continue to bolster the 1M's value.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #55
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
There is less than 739...some have been completely totaled. Others have been modded to the point of no return...roll bars installed...ouch!!!
Time for people to start updating those "Motorsport Limited XXX of 740" stickers...
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #56
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Right on Redadair, August of 2011 was a great month for Nacho, you and me. 1m will always be a special "creation"!

mont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
You are right on nachob.

I'd like to add a few things to what has been mentioned.

The 1M is was Test Mule for BMW, testing the idea that the M3 had indeed gotten too big too bloated and out of reach price wise to many. That there was a market for a smaller less expensive M car. If not for Dr. Key Segler the then head of BMW M division this car wouldn't have ever been built.
His team worked after normal hours designing this prototype car, an M car they code named "Pyrat" an M car built from the beginning to be a Pure Enthusiasts car. Thankfully Dr Segler was successful in selling this idea to BMW management as a low production test car.

And while the car was built from Part Bin pieces the M Engineers massaged every part of the 1M to feel like M cars from the past. Cars like the e30 M3 which was a requirement of every engineer who work on the 1M project to drive and try to make the 1M feel as close as possible to e30 M3. The 1M was the first Turbo M car, the first Direct Injected M car the first to add Air Curtain vents in the front bumper and the first M car to Downsize back to about the size of an e34 M3.

Most important of all it was only produced from March 2011 to December 2011 for the North America market, 0nly 740 cars were imported to NA one of witch sits in the Museum at BMW South Carolina.

BMW just copied the production model of the 1M and made the M2 by popular demand. It took 5 years for them to do so. The M2 will no doubt be a fabulous car, yet it still has to deal with more modern items like Electric Steering, Fake Engine Sounds piped into the cabin through the stereo, Fake exhaust burps similar to the M3/M4.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #57
kikcaffine
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m

As of last week, USA wide on autotrader there were 21 1M's forsale. The week before there were 25.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #58
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Great news because that would means there will be lots of 1M mod parts for sale.

Last edited by goodboy1451; 03-14-2016 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #59
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1236474

I guess with M2 price gouging by dealers, will help hold 1M values.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #60
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Many people like me that wanted an M cars were disappointed with all the heavy bloated options.
NACHOOOOOO!

I remember Metak coming right out and saying "The M2 will not be better than the 1M." Where did that kid go to anyways? The M3 board?

We are already starting to see the creep take place. The M2 is a lil' bit less scary, lil' bit heavier, lil' bit more refined, lil' bit bigger...

I remember way back in the beginning, I said "this car will be the one we all look back on and recognize that it changed the game." That's why the price and desirability will always be there for the long-term.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #61
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
NACHOOOOOO!

I remember Metak coming right out and saying "The M2 will not be better than the 1M." Where did that kid go to anyways? The M3 board?

We are already starting to see the creep take place. The M2 is a lil' bit less scary, lil' bit heavier, lil' bit more refined, lil' bit bigger...

I remember way back in the beginning, I said "this car will be the one we all look back on and recognize that it changed the game." That's why the price and desirability will always be there for the long-term.
When you add up the 1M, the story, the availability of No-NAV, the scary nature, manual-only, no sunroof, first turbo M car etc, it is THE one for me...STILL. But I do acknowledge some nice things about the M2. It really sounds great and looks great too. However, please remember I was one of the hard-core guys that Dr. Kay was talking about when he said " I suspect most will take it like this with no options." Early on there were many that had 1Ms because it was the next great thing. They griped that it didn't have active suspension, carbon roof etc. Many wanted a DCT so I think you will see these cars slowly trickle to their intended audience and that is a good thing. Even if prices come down slightly for 1M, there are many guys that are true fans but can't afford the crazy prices for a car with no warranty. So it's a win-win I think. The 1M deserves to go with the guys that truly love what it is! I loooooooooove my wife, I wouldn't trade her for anyone....but I can still appreciate some of the other ladies sometimes right? : )
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #62
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I loooooooooove my wife, I wouldn't trade her for anyone....but I can still appreciate some of the other ladies sometimes right? : )
We are sworn to silence here, but perhaps you should consider deleting that last comment just in case :-)
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris
Recently, the sales manager at my local dealer where I found my 1M called me to tell me I have "nothing to worry about." He urged me to hold onto my 1M, not that I was even considering letting it go.

The reason? He had just driven an M2. He also owns an e30 M3!!

What's funny is how many people don't know the neat story of the 1M. Just last week I let my friend drive it, a guy who has owned 4 M cars. He had no idea about how/why it was built, or that production was limited. This story will make its way around the community with time, and continue to bolster the 1M's value.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #64
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

The 1M was a trial balloon to test the idea of a developing an M car for its least expensive model. At the time, it was the One series which already had a production run of around 10 years, and it was time for a rethink of continuing its production run.

Manufacturers pay very close attention to the sales figures and criticisms of its products. Although I know all of you love your cars, the One wasn't a great sales success compared to the Three Series. The Two was a great improvement over the One from BMW's point of view.

The 1M was enthusiastically accepted by the BMW gear heads convincing BMW an M edition of the Two would be a good idea. Many of you don't realize that the M2 is a really big deal. Just as Mercedes is very proud of its AMG cars, BMW feels the same way about its M cars. In Mercedes case, its AMG cars are always the most expensive models, so for BMW to offer an M car around $50K is quite surprising.

And what about the value of the 1M? First, the car only had a very limited production run of 740 cars in the USA. That would bode well for possible price appreciation; however, I doubt that it'll be a good investment. The problem is it's based on the One. Essentially the car is just a One with bloated fenders and fancy wheels.

A couple of years hence, the 1M will be forgotten along with the One, and the M2 will the ride of choice of the go fast crowd. In fact, I predict the M2 will be BMW's greatest hit!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #65
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
The 1M was a trial balloon to test the idea of a developing an M car for its least expensive model. At the time, it was the One series which already had a production run of around 10 years, and it was time for a rethink of continuing its production run.

Manufacturers pay very close attention to the sales figures and criticisms of its products. Although I know all of you love your cars, the One wasn't a great sales success compared to the Three Series. The Two was a great improvement over the One from BMW's point of view.

The 1M was enthusiastically accepted by the BMW gear heads convincing BMW an M edition of the Two would be a good idea. Many of you don't realize that the M2 is a really big deal. Just as Mercedes is very proud of its AMG cars, BMW feels the same way about its M cars. In Mercedes case, its AMG cars are always the most expensive models, so for BMW to offer an M car around $50K is quite surprising.

And what about the value of the 1M? First, the car only had a very limited production run of 740 cars in the USA. That would bode well for possible price appreciation; however, I doubt that it'll be a good investment. The problem is it's based on the One. Essentially the car is just a One with bloated fenders and fancy wheels.

A couple of years hence, the 1M will be forgotten along with the One, and the M2 will the ride of choice of the go fast crowd. In fact, I predict the M2 will be BMW's greatest hit!
Extremely doubtful. The 1-Series didn't sell well in N. America because it was out of touch with current tastes, which are for a larger vehicle with more luxury features, if one is being asked to part with $40K plus. The 2-Series remains a small car, if more luxurious.

There will be a market for the M2, it just remains a small sport coupe with limited room inside and a vestigial trunk. They will certainly sell more than were sold of the 1Ms, if only because they could have sold a lot more 1Ms if they had been available for sale. But the M2 will, other than from a bump at initial launch, sell way less than the larger M cars, because small cars are a small niche in today's car market.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #66
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Extremely doubtful. The 1-Series didn't sell well in N. America because it was out of touch with current tastes, which are for a larger vehicle with more luxury features, if one is being asked to part with $40K plus. The 2-Series remains a small car, if more luxurious.

There will be a market for the M2, it just remains a small sport coupe with limited room inside and a vestigial trunk. They will certainly sell more than were sold of the 1Ms, if only because they could have sold a lot more 1Ms if they had been available for sale. But the M2 will, other than from a bump at initial launch, sell way less than the larger M cars, because small cars are a small niche in today's car market.
I don't know what you are doubtful about.

The sales of any M car will be measured against it category.
Appreciate 0