BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #67
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

I got mine recall notification yesterday as well. September build.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #68
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
I got mine recall notification yesterday as well. September build.
lol, this is getting worst.
how bout EINSER M, if i'm not mistake he's July built too, did he get the recall..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #69
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Gosh, I must have gotten a different recall notice. Mine didn't say it was being sent because we have more attorneys than the rest of the world combined.

The part that caught my attention said that the defect could result in electrical system interruption "during vehicle operation,and result in engine stalling and a loss of various vehicle systems that could increase the risk of a crash."

I rather appreciate BMW letting me know about this. I think I'll take them up on their generous offer to rectify the problem. It sounds like EM/1 won't be taking his car in for the fix, seeing as how he believes the whole thing is a lawyer-driven hoax.

I have known of several folks who thought the same thing about seat belts, air bags and motorcycle helmets. They are no longer with us. Their misdirected anger did them in. Natural selection at work, I guess.
No anger; I have plenty of attorneys in my family and among my friends. It is just a fact that our liability and tort laws are out of step with the rest of the world and I think the quantity of attorneys is correlated. I have no doubt the problem is real; I also have no doubt that BMW takes it much more seriously here than anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #70
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Count me as recalled. Got the notice yesterday.
Think I was a June 2011 build as the car arrived exactly two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #71
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
No anger; I have plenty of attorneys in my family and among my friends. It is just a fact that our liability and tort laws are out of step with the rest of the world and I think the quantity of attorneys is correlated. I have no doubt the problem is real; I also have no doubt that BMW takes it much more seriously here than anywhere else.
I would just like to understand why this is not a global recall, that's it. Is it simply what you say and BMW gets much more careful in US than the rest of the World where they prefer to wait and see if a problem occurs instead of precautionary recalls or is there a technical difference with US spec cars which makes this recall obligatory exclusively in US. OBD port problem which led many UK cars got stolen easily comes to mind, there has never been a software upgrade globally in that case either.

Anybody outside US heard of a recall on this matter?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #72
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

I don't think I received a recall notice, but I had the car in for service recently and my tech said it was under recall and was replaced at no cost. Pretty sure mine was a July 2011 build.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #73
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

i dont think that recall letter was sent from my local dealer,
but from the M exclusive dealer in the capital city i got the information when i call the workshop head for another information.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #74
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
It is just a fact that our liability and tort laws are out of step with the rest of the world and I think the quantity of attorneys is correlated. I have no doubt the problem is real; I also have no doubt that BMW takes it much more seriously here than anywhere else.
Well, first all, the rest of the world covers quite a bit of territory. Could you be a little more specific? Are our tort laws are out of step with, say, Indonesia's? Perhaps Rwanda's? Maybe Russia's? Pakistan's? Argentina's?

So, BMW takes a real problem much more seriously here and that's a bad thing? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #75
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

Anybody outside US heard of a recall on this matter?
"NO" recall in Australia..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #76
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
"NO" recall in Australia..
"NO" recall here.. untill YOU CALL them and let them know...
btw, did you change the connector already?

Last edited by Jay-K; 09-01-2013 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #77
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Well, first all, the rest of the world covers quite a bit of territory. Could you be a little more specific? Are our tort laws are out of step with, say, Indonesia's? Perhaps Rwanda's? Maybe Russia's? Pakistan's? Argentina's?

So, BMW takes a real problem much more seriously here and that's a bad thing? I don't get it.
I seem to have touched a nerve here. You might notice that I never made a judgement as to what side of the "out of step" was wrong, or whether or no we have too many lawyers. The answer to your last question is, without a doubt, YES! Nowhere in the world spends as much time and money, even proportionately, on liability defense and payouts. That said, too off topic to continue.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #78
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

received my letter over the weekend. Sept build.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #79
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

DID THE RECALL TODAY..
Have to skip school for this :s...

it is basically a very simple job but getting there is hard..
taking out the glove box compartment and replace a cable.. yeah
took them almost 5 hours of working - 1 hour break..
spend the whole day there watching and supervising (our dealer here are not as profesional as other, so i just cant trust them).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #80
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

So hear are some pics on the workshop.. it is basically replacing the old cable, with the new one that has bolts on its to strengthen it. and of course while im waiting some pictures in the workshop lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #81
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Whoa.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #82
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
So hear are some pics on the workshop.. it is basically replacing the old cable, with the new one that has bolts on its to strengthen it. and of course while im waiting some pictures in the workshop lol.

i see those VO SANDALS THERE BUDD EXCLUSIVE TO 1M .
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #83
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Great.
So they basically have to pull the entire dash and climate control unit to replace one cable.

I always say, the more complicated a repair, the bigger the chance that something else will get broken while you do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #84
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
Thanks for the pics, always nice to see exactly what the dealer will be touching when going in for a repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Great.
So they basically have to pull the entire dash and climate control unit to replace one cable.

I always say, the more complicated a repair, the bigger the chance that something else will get broken while you do it.
Agreed. I'm debating purchasing the cable myself and doing the swap on my own. I know I will put more attention to detail than the typical tech. I have often returned from the dealer with more issues than I originally came in with.

Anyone know the p/n for the new cable? Are any repair instructions floating around the web?
      09-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #85
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Great.

That's exactly what I was thinking looking at Jay-K's pics...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #86
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Holy crap!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #87
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking looking at Jay-K's pics...
+1. There is no way that I would do this if they would call, not here in Santiago, that's for sure. I am confident half the car's electrical functions will not work after they "fix" the cable.

It's like going to a hospital because of a regular cold and leave there with exotic bacteria in your system that medecine doesn't have a cure for.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #88
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
i see those VO SANDALS THERE BUDD EXCLUSIVE TO 1M .
LOL!!
Appreciate 0