BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2022, 02:05 AM   #1
woahitsholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Exclamation So stupid, but can’t fix a bad misfire

Such a dumb post, so I’m sorry I’m advance, but im at a loss of ideas. I’m the original owner of a 2010 e82 with only 49k miles on it. It sat for years properly with everything drained in a climate controlled garage that doesn’t get warmer than 80° or colder than 40° and I put it back on the road because I missed driving it. It ran mint for that whole season last summer. Then I parked it for winter. We had a mild two month winter so I just let it sit and I started it every week or so. No problem there. I drove it to go wash it, and the engine started shaking and the CES light came on. The drive home was scary because the engine was sound ding like it had a cam that revved evenly but puttering “rum rum rum rum rum rum rum rum” is the best way to describe it Haha
Started it up cold and no problem. Local very reputable bmw and Porsche shop changed my plugs and I had them install a set of precision raceworks coils I had laying around, brand new. installed those and they cleared the misfire code. I drove it about three miles and it did it again. They checked the whole car over, even the Venos sensors, camshaft exhaust timing sensor, everything. They moved some coils and plugs, nothing happened. They even drove the car and couldn’t find anything wrong. I drove it the mile back to my condo, parked, went inside five mins and then went and restarted it to a rough idle and that same problem. and BOOM CES light again after shutting off again and restarting and rough idle.

Now, I do have old gas probably still in the car but I’ve also put a full tank in it. The car should be totally reliable. Im on an otc cobb tune and yesss I have the wifi mhd and need to install that software to the car, but it’s always run fine until this crap now. Is it bad fuel? Is it the tune suddenly not being okay for some weird magic reason? I’m confused and I want my car to be reliable again so I can install my dp’s and about 15 grand of other parts I have including turbos with a custom mhd map. I just want to not kill the car if I can avoid it haha.

Thanks for any input in advance. I can’t figure it out at all.

Last edited by woahitsholland; 08-15-2022 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think you ended up in the 1M section of 1addicts -- you'll likely get more responses and have better luck in the non-1M part of the forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 12:31 AM   #3
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahitsholland View Post
Such a dumb post, so I’m sorry I’m advance, but im at a loss of ideas. I’m the original owner of a 2010 e82 with only 49k miles on it. It sat for years properly with everything drained in a climate controlled garage that doesn’t get warmer than 80° or colder than 40° and I put it back on the road because I missed driving it. It ran mint for that whole season last summer. Then I parked it for winter. We had a mild two month winter so I just let it sit and I started it every week or so. No problem there. I drove it to go wash it, and the engine started shaking and the CES light came on. The drive home was scary because the engine was sound ding like it had a cam that revved evenly but puttering “rum rum rum rum rum rum rum rum” is the best way to describe it Haha
Started it up cold and no problem. Local very reputable bmw and Porsche shop changed my plugs and I had them install a set of precision raceworks coils I had laying around, brand new. installed those and they cleared the misfire code. I drove it about three miles and it did it again. They checked the whole car over, even the Venos sensors, camshaft exhaust timing sensor, everything. They moved some coils and plugs, nothing happened. They even drove the car and couldn’t find anything wrong. I drove it the mile back to my condo, parked, went inside five mins and then went and restarted it to a rough idle and that same problem. and BOOM CES light again after shutting off again and restarting and rough idle.

Now, I do have old gas probably still in the car but I’ve also put a full tank in it. The car should be totally reliable. Im on an otc cobb tune and yesss I have the wifi mhd and need to install that software to the car, but it’s always run fine until this crap now. Is it bad fuel? Is it the tune suddenly not being okay for some weird magic reason? I’m confused and I want my car to be reliable again so I can install my dp’s and about 15 grand of other parts I have including turbos with a custom mhd map. I just want to not kill the car if I can avoid it haha.

Thanks for any input in advance. I can’t figure it out at all.
I would definitely hookup the MHD and flash an OTS tune, while selecting the option to adjust dwell time for your PR coil packs; cobb tune does not account for this change you made.

MHD can also pull DME codes, we might be able to zoom in on the issue with those. If you're still on stock injectors and HPFP, it may be time to replace them; and probably a walnut blast.

If you think there is water in the gas tank from sitting, you could always try an additive (e.g. ISO-HEET) to help get it out.
Appreciate 0