BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #1
Maclarentc
Sorry officer, I did not see you there!
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Smile Getting Started on my 2013 135is N55

Hey all,

I am just getting started with my research and deciding what I want to go after first. I am planning to go simple stage 1 to get my toes wet, but I know I will want more fairly quickly.
Here is what I know is already done to the car.

- BMS Aluminum charge pipe
- BMS Cowl filters
- Cobb Cat-back exhaust (not sure of specifics)

I have the MHD super licence and the wireless adaptor is on the way.

I have a 3.5 Bar TMap sensor but I took it out when I gave up on the JB4 for now.

I also have the JB4, but have had issues getting it to work at all so I uninstalled it. (it was overboosting on any map, would not idle, die on idle after startup, and would spit out tons of codes from fuel to cylinder codes and others. I installed it 4 different times, with and without the fuel rail sensor as it was optional, BMS actually sent me another board for the unit, but it still had the same issues, had a buddy with an N55 verify it was all installed correctly, but still had issues).

I would love to get anyones thoughts and suggestions, especially if you have a 135is. I would like to eventually get to downpipes, upgraded turbo, intercooler, and other performance areas, but I would also love to look at body, suspension upgrades as well.

I am in the South Puget Sound Area and would love to know of peoples suggestions for shops, tuners, groups, etc

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 12:11 AM   #2
piotrek4000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6-speed

Cool welcome to the forum! The Northwest forum doesn't seem to get a ton of traffic, so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't hear many responses here. There's a lot of good info all over the 1 series forum, but I can give you some advice from my 135i journey.

Start with maintenance, otherwise you'll keep getting issues like misfires or overheating once your turn up the boost. When I picked up my car, I did most of the main leak prone gaskets (valve cover, oil pan, oil filter housing), upgraded coils to Eldor, check your injectors are index 12, new spark plugs, new coolant hoses, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, belts and pulleys, walnut blast, upgraded pcv, upgraded charge pipe, motor mounts (these are really important, if you don't, your power steering pump will hit the subframe, shred your belt, and shards of belt can get sucked into the engine...), brake pads, rotors (use regular blank rotors, don't need drilled and slotted for street use, ceramic pads will keep your wheels clean), unclog sunroof drains, replace windshield washer pump (it will eventually leak), Sounds like you did some if this already which is great, learn to do all of this yourself and then the next time you have to do it you'll already know how. I've had to remove the front subframe several times now and I find it's easy to do now.

Mods:
- start with intercooler and larger intake piping. This is great bang for your buck and goes hand in hand with stage 1 tuning.
- Get MHD and use that to tune. It's easy to use, great for logging, and you still eventually use it to upload custom maps when you do a turbo upgrade.
- upgrade front control arms to M3 arms. Also huge bang for your buck, and it'll tighten up your steering, plus you've gotta replace the ball joints anyway as maintenance
- I upgraded my steering wheel to M3 steering wheel and installed ZHP shift knob. These are your interface with your car, the parts you touch when you drive, and it's so important for this interface to be pleasant.
- catless downpipes or high flow cats. Needed for stage 2 tunes.

These mods will get you to "full bolt on" status, people call this "FBO" on the forums. From here, if you want more power, you have to go past FBO and start upgrading fuel pumps, turbos, E85, custom tunes, higher power coils, etc....

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions, I'm in Portland, I'd be down to meet up somewhere in the PNW sometime if you want, I'm down for road trips. Cheers

Pete
Appreciate 0