BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #1
DVMs135
DVMs135
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018M240i, 2016X3 35i and a 20

Halo has burned out

My 2008 135 has just lost the halo lights on the right side. I would like some advice on replacement. I would prefer a whiter/brighter set up than the exist OEM. I would welcome suggestions on upgrading and sourcing.
      08-03-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
Blueherb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW 09'

You can go with a "whiter" bulb that's brighter than stock but not quite hyper white like an LED. Or, you can go LED with the kits you can find all over the Internet. My only advice is most LED kits have a ballast, that ballast is usually a pain in the ass
to get it to properly fit inside the headlight housing. I would recommend reading about the installation and the importance of properly sealing the headlight covers in the back so no water/moisture gets inside...

Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2707.00
      08-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
You can code the brightness of the halo lights. It's an option on my 2011 using the Carly app.
      08-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Get PIAA H8 bulbs. Your rings are designed for halogen bulbs, best to use those. Code the voltage to max using carly or Protool. Replace bulbs as they burn out and don't worry about ruining your AHL motors like you ultimately would if you used LEDs.

Bulb swap takes maybe 5 mins. Wear gloves to avoid getting oils on the glass and they'll last longer.

I use 2500K yellow bulbs but they certainly make 5-6kK white colors. Stock bulbs are 4200K
      08-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
DVMs135
DVMs135
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Get PIAA H8 bulbs. Your rings are designed for halogen bulbs, best to use those. Code the voltage to max using carly or Protool. Replace bulbs as they burn out and don't worry about ruining your AHL motors like you ultimately would if you used LEDs.

Bulb swap takes maybe 5 mins. Wear gloves to avoid getting oils on the glass and they'll last longer.

I use 2500K yellow bulbs but they certainly make 5-6kK white colors. Stock bulbs are 4200K
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
You can code the brightness of the halo lights. It's an option on my 2011 using the Carly app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueherb View Post
You can go with a "whiter" bulb that's brighter than stock but not quite hyper white like an LED. Or, you can go LED with the kits you can find all over the Internet. My only advice is most LED kits have a ballast, that ballast is usually a pain in the ass
to get it to properly fit inside the headlight housing. I would recommend reading about the installation and the importance of properly sealing the headlight covers in the back so no water/moisture gets inside...

Ask me how I know.
So the general consensus is forget LED and install Higher output Halogens?
      08-04-2020, 03:54 AM   #6
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVMs135 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know.
General for those that prefer avoiding headaches and problems. Others prefer the ultra white LEDs and are willing to put up with fiddling with the install to avoid the potential errors.
      08-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
DVMs135
DVMs135
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know.
General for those that prefer avoiding headaches and problems. Others prefer the ultra white LEDs and are willing to put up with fiddling with the install to avoid the potential errors.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know.
My PIAA H8's 2500 K bulbs arrived two days ago from Amazon. I just finished installing them and must say I like the yellow, it is brighter and ideal for the foggy weather we will surely get in a month or two on the west coast. I wanted to thank all who gave me some guidance on this. Will the Carly app work on a 2008 135 to dial up the voltage? Does it just make them brighter or brighter and whiter? What else can the app do? My car is bone stock except for the PIAAs.
      08-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Dekdo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I have yellow h8 fog bulbs in mine, but may go back to a normal “white” h8 when they burn out. Too much of a hassle to get LED bulbs to fit.
Appreciate 1
DVMs13518.00
      08-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #9
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Carly can be used on an 08 to up the voltage and make the halos brighter. Color doesn't change. Did this with stock bulbs on my 08. I actually prefer the yellow color.
Appreciate 1
DVMs13518.00